closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nothing on TV tonight...so I ordered a watch

Craftsman

Nothing on TV tonight...so I ordered a watch

Bored..so ordered Russian watch off ebay(which I doubt I have ever used before!).
    It's a sad addiction.
    Still,here's what I ordered https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUSSIAN-V...8AAOSwmRFaYQUa
    It may be interesting to see what arrives.

What will arrive will be an incredibly good value, extremely wearable, automatic watch with screw-down crown and rated to 200m.

I have the same model with a different dial. I put it on a silicon tropic strap and it's awesome!

Crazy value really
    It's just a matter of time...

Madness, I've been wearing one for about a month that's around 30 years old, brilliant value.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Nothing on television. I just watched Boy George on 'Who do you think you are' - a really good episode mainly based around the Irish Republican struggles in the 1915 to mid 1920s period in Dublin.

Anyway, e-bay is a dangerous alternative. I was on there on Monday and bought two watches.

Yours looks great value for money and the brand does seem to be very popular.

Based on the excuse of nothing being on TV I would have 7 new watches this time next week 🤣

Master
    Beautiful sunset tonight. Cant imagine why anyone would want to sit in and watch telly anyway. That is a cracking bargain tho.

Have we had a 'show us your Russian watch' thread yet?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    How are they able to produce them so cheaply?

Looks like a nice design. Had my finger on the buy button a couple of times already. Never handled a Vostok before, designs look nice but wondering if they will look cheaply finished in the flesh? Do they hold up against Seiko models in similar (maybe a little higher as these are ridiculously cheap) price levels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll like it I'm sure. I have one in the same 120 case, different dial (scuba dude). Solid watch. Wears small but the 18mm lug width feels in proportion. The caseback is quite nice, with Russian language. You'll get used to the wobbly stem and the strange feel of the crown. The only thing you might consider (I did) is modding out the chrome plated bezel which is pretty easy to do as I learnt on here.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by topcat666 View Post
    Bored..so ordered Russian watch off ebay(which I doubt I have ever used before!).
    It's a sad addiction.
    Still,here's what I ordered https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUSSIAN-V...8AAOSwmRFaYQUa
    It may be interesting to see what arrives.
    I actually quite like that..... now look what you've done?! You've made me go through ebay looking at the other models they offer.... damn you ;-)

Journeyman
    I love Vostoks, for the money they are fantastic and all the aftermarket bezels and dials just adds to it :-)
    Must go order another !!!
    Scottie

Craftsman
    Thanks for the responses.
    I'm quite looking forward to seeing it (another 2 weeks or so for delivery,it seems).
    Probably will ditch the strap and think about Nato strap but what colours..no Bond surely..what would Smersh have for it's colours
    Now,I'll have to keep an eye open for a Mosin to with it;maybe a M44 carbine..looks a hoot to shoot...no problems wearing a Vostok on a shooting range,methinks

I have the white faced version and it's incredible value. Easy to mod as well, looks good with a plain bezel IMO.

I put having at least one of the children down to there being nothing on television. These days I'm more likely to increase the watch count.

Last edited by Mr Curta; 26th July 2018 at 18:39.

Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
    How are they able to produce them so cheaply?
    Have you seen one?

You can get a Seiko 5 for under £100, too.

Vostoks probably work well, but they're pretty crudely constructed.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Have you seen one?

You can get a Seiko 5 for under £100, too.

Vostoks probably work well, but they're pretty crudely constructed.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Looking forward to my first 'Russian mechanical' arriving next week I think, I can do crude so no worries there, now looking at those modding bits although I think I will get a new auto to play with... I fancy this one

Gadget
    Last edited by inspector gadget; 26th July 2018 at 19:05. Reason: add picture

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I have the white faced version and it's incredible value. Easy to mod as well, looks good with a plain bezel IMO.

I put having at least one of the children down to there being nothing on television. These days I'm more likely to increase the watch count.

This place has a lot to answer for!! Matt I bought the same one as you but mine has a rotating bezel, have you modded yours by removing it, I like the look of that.

They are great fun, been wearing mine today as it happens, lovely sunburst dial. I recommend swapping the stock bracelet for a Nato or perlon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    This place has a lot to answer for!! Matt I bought the same one as you but mine has a rotating bezel, have you modded yours by removing it, I like the look of that.
    Yes Paul, I swapped the bezel for a plain one from another amphibian but they are available from Meranom. https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-cla...ezel-01k2.html

I've also tried it with an alternative bezel (pinched from the watch on the left) which I quite like.

Master
    Nothing on the telly brings me here but I must admit I'm tempted by a russian regulatuer watch, a lot cheaper that the IWC that first drew me to them.

Master
    Thanks Matt appreciate the link although you've just put me at the top of another slippery slope
    They all look fantastic with what you've done to them.

Haven't been able to find that, like what you did with the blue bezel.

Netflix is cheaper than eBay

I ve had a Ministry case Vostok with champagne dial for a few years now and love it. Worn regularly in rotation. Great VFM and a little different to the norm

As has been said, the stock bracelet’s not great and I wear mine on a leather nato.

Hope you enjoy it.

Apprentice
    That is a great move

Master

Well I received my first Russian watch yesterday after reading this thread, a Vostok Amphibia and it's quite a quirky little thing that sits nicely on the wrist with a perspex crystal.
    The crown takes some getting used to but is fine once mastered and I love the slow way to change the date as opposed to the really really slow way to change the date, really adds to it's quirkiness and appeal.
    A nice different addition to the collection. Thanks TZ once again for another eye opener!

Journeyman
    I muust have been bitten buy the watch collecting bug as I'm now thinking about the watches,amazingly cheap. How good quality are they?

Master
    Mine is decent enough for sure, strap feels a little cheap but does the job and will probably end up on a NATO anyway.
    The crown does take some getting used to very different from all my other watches as is the date changing. But for the money I'd say it's well worth a try!

You get a lot of watch for ~£60!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    You get a lot of watch for ~£60!

Yes your right, how well made and reliable are they. At these prices I doubt you can complain would like to know.

I love mine (bought from a member on here, slightly modded with a Murphy Bezel and Degaz insert... spelling might be wrong!) and it is remarkably accurate; 1.7 slow per day. The crown initially had me thinking it was broken and the date set is a pain (so I don't bother) but otherwise, really good quality. I had to turn the bracelet round so that it sits properly on my wrist but that was mostly due to the bracelet being a right sod to adjust, it feels like at the end of the world there will be cockroaches, VW beetles and Vostok bracelets left! Yes, it looks a bit cheap but sturdy enough and looks okay. I did put it on a fancy strap but it obviously objected at the Western decadence and split the new strap within half a day. Now back on the bracelet so it's happy again.

I keep looking at them with a view to further purchases, not helped by the fact one of the retail sellers (Gaspode on eBay) is based a couple of miles away!

Loving my Komandirskie, Amphibians en route due here today so we shall be hopefully impressed...

I avoid models with a date because it's a bit of a faff, but apart from that I do like them

I avoid models with a date because it's a bit of a faff, but apart from that I do like them

Hello and sorry to hijack this thread a bit - but what is the brand and model of your watch box Mr. Curta? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by collector2018 View Post
    Yes your right, how well made and reliable are they. At these prices I doubt you can complain would like to know.
    I didn't keep it too long to be honest... I've way too many watches and always had something I'd have worn in preference. I would say that a Seiko 5 feels like a better product overall - but by all accounts, the Vostoks are built well enough. Bracelets are rubbish and the nato mine came on wasn't great. On a decent NATO it wore well mind you. Wobbly crown is a design feature.. not a fault or flaw.

If you're curious, then stick to a "scuba dude" and you'll always move it on easily. They're always popular.

Master
    Regarding the date change, does every one know about the quick date change?
    The one where you wind the time round to 1am then back to 8pm then up to 1am then back to 8am and so on.....it changes the date each each time you do this so you don't have to do it the really long winded way.
    It works a treat on mine and is really quirky which I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Regarding the date change, does every one know about the quick date change?
    The one where you wind the time round to 1am then back to 8pm then up to 1am then back to 8am and so on.....it changes the date each each time you do this so you don't have to do it the really long winded way.
    It works a treat on mine and is really quirky which I like.
    ^^^^^^^^

Yes it works lol

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post
    Hello and sorry to hijack this thread a bit - but what is the brand and model of your watch box Mr. Curta? Thank you
    There are many versions on Amazon, not the greatest quality but great value and do the job. I think that mine is the first in this list, I expect that they are all very similar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00V353X...9-978733d228b5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Storage-Dis.../dp/B079J9Y786

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Songmics-Zi...dp/B00B8N3UCI/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyonda-AMS...dp/B01N7DDVQX/

There are many versions on Amazon, not the greatest quality but great value and do the job. I think that mine is the first in this list, I expect that they are all very similar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00V353X...9-978733d228b5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Storage-Dis.../dp/B079J9Y786

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Songmics-Zi...dp/B00B8N3UCI/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyonda-AMS...dp/B01N7DDVQX/
    Many thanks - I like the idea of placing the straps flat, instead of looping and closing them around a cushion which risks deforming them. Plus these all look quite portable.

Here's my manual wind issued for the Russian M.O.D. (ZAKAZ MO CCCP) one:

Russian #2 arrived, first Job fit a new caseback and loose the bracelet...

Journeyman
    Is that caseback any thicker? I have seen them, kinda thought it would sit higher

Scottie

Quote Originally Posted by scottie2345 View Post
    Is that caseback any thicker? I have seen them, kinda thought it would sit higher

Scottie
    Its a bit thicker now 16mm overall, but not a lot different wearing it

Journeyman
    I have never owned a Vostok. I have been tempted, though, to pull the trigger on one on more than one occasion because they just seem like a lot of bang for the buck.

Had mine about a month now and it's been hardly off my wrist. A very pleasant surprise although my other watches are not getting a look in. I would buy another without hesitation.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Just to advise that the Vostok arrived a week earlier than thought on 4 August and I have to say that I am presently well impressed.
    Like the case,bezel seems better than my Seikos (which I mention as perhaps of comparable but still a little more expensive than Vostok),worn for a week now and I would guess about 45-65 seconds lost in that time so not too bad for a watch that cost about £66 including postage from Russia.
    The leather strap fitted to it was poor so a black & gray striped Nato from Monkeyswag is now fitted.
    At the price,well recommended indeed.

Nothing on TV tonight...so I ordered a watch

My scuba dude arrived yesterday frm Meranom. Tracking the watch was superb, nearly daily updates and it's already seen quite a bit of the world. Watch definitely exceeds expectations. Dial is a lovely colour and the bezel pretty nicely machined. Finally able to feel the wobbly crown action, nice piece of engineering!

Last edited by Glen Goyne; 26th August 2018 at 11:42.