closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seamster repair/service

Seamster repair/service

Hi everyone,

My partner went swimming in the sea with her Seamaster quartz on, it's over 20 yrs old and last serviced about 5 years ago.

Either the pressure in the plane or some other factor has probably weakened/compromised the seals.

I've dried it out, but it's not working and there is some corrsion to the hands and face.

What is the best option? anyone on here happy to give it a go? or is it back to Omega?

I would say it's only worth 6-700 anyhow so replacement may be a better option than repair.

Any advice?

Mozza

I got a good quote from Simon Freese for servicing an automatic pre-Bond Seamaster, which I'll be taking him up on after a bit of "realignment" of the current collection - £210 to include:

- Movement service
    - Case and bracelet refinish
    - New seals
    - Water resistance testing
    - 18 month guarantee

Whilst yours would require some repair work he seemed more than happy to discuss options and provide an honest assessment when I spoke to him, so it might be an idea as a first port of call?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_lazers View Post
    I got a good quote from Simon Freese for servicing an automatic pre-Bond Seamaster, which I'll be taking him up on after a bit of "realignment" of the current collection - £210 to include:

- Movement service
    - Case and bracelet refinish
    - New seals
    - Water resistance testing
    - 18 month guarantee

Whilst yours would require some repair work he seemed more than happy to discuss options and provide an honest assessment when I spoke to him, so it might be an idea as a first port of call?

Cheers Jimmy, The other option is your item on SC

Is he on here?

Mozza

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    Cheers Jimmy, The other option is your item on SC

Is he on here?

Mozza
    No worries.

He may well be on here in one guise or another, but I found the easiest way to contact him was via his web form.

Google his name and he comes up right at the top of the list.

Hi everyone,

My partner went swimming in the sea with her Seamaster quartz on, it's over 20 yrs old and last serviced about 5 years ago.

Either the pressure in the plane or some other factor has probably weakened/compromised the seals.

I've dried it out, but it's not working and there is some corrsion to the hands and face.

What is the best option? anyone on here happy to give it a go? or is it back to Omega?

I would say it's only worth 6-700 anyhow so replacement may be a better option than repair.

Any advice?

Mozza
    I think the gaskets were simply old and WR was gone.
    Not much to do with airplane pressure etc.

I guess you might be able to find the needed parts on the internet. Getting it serviced at Omega might be an option as she'll have a as new watch afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    I think the gaskets were simply old and WR was gone.
    Not much to do with airplane pressure etc.

I guess you might be able to find the needed parts on the internet. Getting it serviced at Omega might be an option as she'll have a as new watch afterwards.

Yeah that is an option, but with the watch only worth a bit more than an omega service it's a conundrum.

Mozza

Yeah that is an option, but with the watch only worth a bit more than an omega service it's a conundrum.

Mozza
    True, but they make great daily watches and if you buy another one for slightly more, it still won't be in the best condition, which it will be after full Omega service...

Grand Master
    Unfortunately you'll be looking at a fair amount of money to fix this. New movement, new dial, new hands, and nowadays these parts are only available via an accredited Omega repairer. Swatch group assure us this in in the customers' best interests to safeguard quality of repairs............which we all know is bullshit.

I have a theory about why watches often let water in on holiday; people correct the time and don`t screw the crown down properly. It's more than coincidence IMO. However, in this case it could simply be age-related, although I`ve worked on lots of these and usually found the seals still be good after many years. The caseback seal doesn`t seem to deteriorate significantly and the crown seal has an easy life on a quartz watch.

Bite the bullet and pay for it fixing regardless of what it's worth, in it's current state it's only fit for parts and won`t be worth much. With a new movement, new dial and handset, plus a dose of refinishing it'll be like a new watch and a far better bet than spending several £100s on a replacement.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 24th July 2018 at 16:18.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Unfortunately you'll be looking at a fair amount of money to fix this. New movement, new dial, new hands, and nowadays these parts are only available via an accredited Omega repairer. Swatch group assure us this in in the customers' best interests to safeguard quality of repairs............which we all know is bullshit.

I have a theory about why watches often let water in on holiday; people correct the time and don`t screw the crown down properly. It's more than coincidence IMO. However, in this case it could simply be age-related, although I`ve worked on lots of these and usually found the seals still be good after many years. The caseback seal doesn`t seem to deteriorate significantly and the crown seal has an easy life on a quartz watch.

Bite the bullet and pay for it fixing regardless of what it's worth, in it's current state it's only fit for parts and won`t be worth much. With a new movement, new dial and handset, plus a dose of refinishing it'll be like a new watch and a far better bet than spending several £100s on a replacement.

Paul
    Cheers Paul, Deep down I think I knew this.

Should I deal direct with Omega? Or a third party?

Mozza

Anyone have any good experiences?

Mozza

Cheers Paul, Deep down I think I knew this.

Should I deal direct with Omega? Or a third party?

Mozza

Sent it off to Swissmade today, Omega certified.

I'll let you know quote .

Mozza

Watch arrived with repair centre, I will keep you updated, they will estimate the repair cost within 2-4 days.

Hoping it will be more competitive than replacement - but who knows?

Watch this space.

Mozza