closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex Raffle anyone?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...9&share_type=t

I take this bezel came of the watch ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I don't want the watch, but I wouldn't be interested in participating on this basis even if I did. A service at £1400 is way over what one would expect it to cost, so an element of that would have been for correcting an issue with the watch anyway. More importantly, though, this would result in the seller receiving way over the market price for a private sale, and I therefore consider it unethical when presented as a "charity raffle".

Just my 2p, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I don't want the watch, but I wouldn't be interested in participating on this basis even if I did. A service at £1400 is way over what one would expect it to cost, so an element of that would have been for correcting an issue with the watch anyway. More importantly, though, this would result in the seller receiving way over the market price for a private sale, and I therefore consider it unethical when presented as a "charity raffle".

Just my 2p, of course.
    I think that’s the general consensus of all of us not swayed by the chance of owning a DSSD for £65.

It would appear that the watch had a new bezel and insert as the OP has just sold one for £250. That in itself would explain a fair chunk of the £1400 service. It would effectively mean he’s getting £8.5k for the watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...9&share_type=t

I take this bezel came of the watch ?

Your sharp have you considered a job as a detective

I’ve had second thoughts on this. If it is allowed to go ahead or sets a dangerous precedent. The ticket price should be reduce to represent the market value of the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Not yet but won't have been long someone would have noticed it

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I think that’s the general consensus of all of us not swayed by the chance of owning a DSSD for £65.

It would appear that the watch had a new bezel and insert as the OP has just sold one for £250. That in itself would explain a fair chunk of the £1400 service. It would effectively mean he’s getting £8.5k for the watch.
    I think this is on the money here. Quoting the full servicing costs whilst having already recouped £250 is a tad underhand in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Well, he’s not the one trying to jack up the selling price of his used watch through an unlicensed gambling operation — just sayin’.

Master
    There’s all these comments showing concern that this doesn’t fell right (including mine) and you choose to focus on this comment instead of addressing the very relevant points, says it all.

I don’t think that’s done you any favours on here. You could easily have said you’ve read the replies, taken it on board and will either adjust or withdraw. Up to you what you do now, but if it were my thread I’d want to put closure on it, instead of letting it run and run. Your choice of course.

OP was pretty clear in first post that watch had just come back from 'Major overhaul' and he was just sounding out the idea I am sure if it went ahead full details
    would be provided plus everyone knows the proposed figures so don't think some of the comments are necessary.

If OP was OK to amend the base price to £7,000 plus the £1,500 for the fundraiser I would say that is'nt unreasonable view the recent work on the watch,
    plus there would have to be some kind of multiple choice question you have to answer (even if its really obvious) to keep it legal.

However even at these figures I don't think Eddie should allow this is as would set a precedent and SC would turn in to Lottery Corner.

A non-starter then.

I have taken part in the last two Rolex raffles and I loved the anticipation of waiting for the draw, but on this occasion I’ll not be buying a ticket as I don’t particularly like the deepsea so I would flip straight away and that’s not in the taste of the forum, my opinion of course..

I will say the odds do seem better than 150/1 even though that’s how it breaks down, if it was an 150/1 horse you wouldn’t touch it with £65 but in this case there is no favourites or donkeys, everyone is equal.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I have taken part in the last two Rolex raffles and I loved the anticipation of waiting for the draw, but on this occasion I’ll not be buying a ticket as I don’t particularly like the deepsea so I would flip straight away and that’s not in the taste of the forum, my opinion of course..

I will say the odds do seem better than 150/1 even though that’s how it breaks down, if it was an 150/1 horse you wouldn’t touch it with £65 but in this case there is no favourites or donkeys, everyone is equal.

... which is precisely why the odds are 150to 1, or one chance to win out of 150 (in the case that you only bought one ticket and all tickets sold)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    A non-starter then.
    Coming from the first person who organised precisely the same to recoup his money when the 5513 didn’t live up to his expectations.

You do have a brass neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Coming from the first person who organised precisely the same to recoup his money when the 5513 didn’t live up to his expectations.

You do have a brass neck.
    Not quite. I could have sold the watch 10x over at the raffle value.

This one is taking the michael and people have seen straight through it.

Good distraction for the OP though ;)

Not quite. I could have sold the watch 10x over at the raffle value.

Good distraction for the OP though ;)
    Incorrect. You sold it at the price you had bought it a few weeks before. And even if you could have sold it for a little more (certainly not 10 times ) you would have struggled to find a buyer here.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Incorrect. You sold it at the price you had bought it a few weeks before. And even if you could have sold it for a little more (certainly not 10 times ) you would have struggled to find a buyer here.
    I think you’re struggling with your reading comprehension. Try again.

Deja vu for you?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

The fact the OP hasn’t addressed anyone’s concerns speaks volumes to me. This raffle was about nothing but his greed and he tried to cover it up by claiming it was for charity.
    I don’t think raffles should be allowed on here unless 100% for the fundraiser.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    The fact the OP hasn’t addressed anyone’s concerns speaks volumes to me. This raffle was about nothing but his greed and he tried to cover it up by claiming it was for charity.

I haven’t said anything because I don’t need to *this isnt the raffle thread*, did you even read the OP I doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Agree. I am very dubious about the legality of these forum 'raffles'*. BTW, a key part of Lottery/Raffle/Sweepstake regulations is randomising the outcome (picking the winner) to keep it fair. I don't see any mention of how this will be done.

*Informed by my 27 years in the gaming/lottery industry.

Master
    I Can’t believe the amount of negativity on here missing all the positives and only focusing on that negative, some very unhappy people I guess, completely missing the fact someone is going to get a Rolex for nothing and that the fundraiser is going to get a wedge put into it

Just to clarify I cleared this with Eddie before I started and this wasn’t the raffle thread just a thread to gauge interest only but I guess some people can’t read

I’m going to carry on with the idea but with a few changes I will start a new thread and this will be the actual one with a lower ticket price and more going into the fundraiser just to make it clear to all the people who don’t know what theyre talking about that I’m not making a “tidy profit”, I don’t care about the money tbh

Also to everyone that was witch hunting in this thread whether you want one or not don’t bother asking for a ticket

Thanks

lol at your comment that you don’t care about the money. You tried to pull a fast one. You know it, I know it and many other members on here know it.
    You are now backpedaling by reducing the cost of a ticket and donating more to the fundraiser but the only reason you are doing this is because you were called out on it otherwise you would continue as you were to make more money than this watch is worth.

Apprentice
    Witch hunt? Hardly. It was just some questions and concerns that people had. And rightly so.

You haven't been transparent in your posts as to your likely reward and why the service was so high.

And then rather childishly you will now choose who can now participate? Given that and your attitude to forum members I have zero confidence in your raffle being carried out fairly. Wouldn't be suprised if there was a coincidence and ended up with a friend.

Anyways good luck...

Caught with hand in cookie jar then back tracking🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Well I certainly wouldn’t be making that leap; I think you are totally out of order and should remove that post immediately!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Also to everyone that was witch hunting in this thread whether you want one or not don’t bother asking for a ticket

Thanks
    That's very dramatic wording isn't it? "Witchhunting" "bandwagons" (bp)
    Its a term usually applied to a pursuit without justification and in your case it isn't relevant because a few maths competent members (and looking at the list I can't see any one of them choosing to line your pockets for a deepsea) have worked out that you're attempting to procure an additional 1.25-1.75k by playing on the heartstrings of the fundraiser, something that many on here have done with no additional bonus to themselves.

The fact that it's been highlighted will achieve one of 3 things.

No raffle and sold for correct value.
    Amended raffle
    Or the same raffle with absolute clarity.

Which one of the above do you feel requires the level of hardship and ruin that you're implying with the emotive language?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi all

Recently got my sea dweller deepsea back from Rolex after having a major overhaul and i looks brand new but i can't bring myself to wear it now i don't think, so that couple with a recent family situation I've decided it has to go, was going to put it on SC but thought this might be a bit more fun

At this stage its just to see if theres any interest in the idea, if there is the raffle will be 150 tickets at £65 a go 1 ticket max per person with £1500 going to the fundraiser, draw will be done like recent raffles with video etc and uploaded onto thread

Like to know what you think

Cheers
    Dave

That seems pretty transparent and clear to me.
    £1500 to charity what’s not to like?
    No ones forcing anyone to buy a ticket we are adults and I can calculate 150 X £65 and decide whether I value the watch at that or not.

But yet again a topic with Rolex in the title degenerates into another sordid argument about money and values.

I bought a ticket for the last raffle I didn’t win so lost my money but it was fun participating/anticipating and I could stand the loss.
    So how come that one was OK?

OP I wouldn’t bother it’s not worth the grief.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Well I certainly wouldn’t be making that leap; I think you are totally out of order and should remove that post immediately!
    Well I joined the dots as I saw it. I'm sorry as my post is not to offend.

Guess I will go back to just being a lurker here. Have a good day.
    Last edited by Harvey; 8th July 2018 at 13:44.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    That seems pretty transparent and clear to me.
    £1500 to charity what’s not to like?
    No ones forcing anyone to buy a ticket we are adults and I can calculate 150 X £65 and decide whether I value the watch at that or not.

But yet again a topic with Rolex in the title degenerates into another sordid argument about money and values.

I bought a ticket for the last raffle I didn’t win so lost my money but it was fun participating/anticipating and I could stand the loss.
    So how come that one was OK?

OP I wouldn’t bother it’s not worth the grief.
    So what you're saying is, it will be okay to over value your watch and make profit if that comes into it on the back of the fundraiser?

I might put up my Seiko SKX007 for £5 a ticket, sell 100 = £500 donate £200 to the FR and pocket £300 for a £120 watch - where do I sign up?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Witch hunt? Hardly. It was just some questions and concerns that people had. And rightly so.

You haven't been transparent in your posts as to your likely reward and why the service was so high.

And then rather childishly you will now choose who can now participate? Given that and your attitude to forum members I have zero confidence in your raffle being carried out fairly. Wouldn't be suprised if there was a coincidence and ended up with a friend.

Anyways good luck...
    Well done my friend!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    Agree. I am very dubious about the legality of these forum 'raffles'*. BTW, a key part of Lottery/Raffle/Sweepstake regulations is randomising the outcome (picking the winner) to keep it fair. I don't see any mention of how this will be done.

*Informed by my 27 years in the gaming/lottery industry.
    Does anyone bother to read the original posts, OP clearly stated how it would be done in his first post, and as regards the post you quoted he clearly stated how much would go to charity and how much
    he would get he never claimed it was all for charity (that's provided you can do simple multiplication)

Master
    If i had £65, which sadly I don't, I think I'd buy an SNK803 for £49 from Sky, and give £16 to the fundraiser.