closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Audi Nappa leather seats - will they get more comfortable?!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Audi Nappa leather seats - will they get more comfortable?!

Afternoon chaps.

If the "what do you drive" thread is anything to go by, there are a fair few Audi drivers on here, so hopefully you can give me some good news!

In March we bought a shiny new Q5, very lovely indeed, black, B&O, S-Line etc. I also went for the Nappa leather seats, because they looked lovely, and also because the car in stock had them already (saved waiting 6 months).

But, having just driven Dorset - Lake District - Peak District - West Sussex - Dorset - London - Dorset in the last 4 days, I've noticed that said seats are bloody hard after a while!

So, is there any hope for me? Will they soften? Or am I destined to feel like I'm driving in a dining chair?

And is it just me, or does the right leg push hard in to the side of the seat when on the accelerator? I'm a pretty skinny guy and still find the seat-bases quite snug!

Craftsman
    I'm using 3 Audis for comparison, and probably won't help much.....

I had an A5, albeit for a very short time, that was second hand, so had the benefit of about a year's wear and the leather and the seats were really soft. I got rid of it because I didn't like feeling like I was driving in a comfy armchair.

My wife had a TT from new, and by the time she sold it, after 3 years, the leather was still as stiff as the day it arrived, the seats were hard and I found them really uncomfortable.

My father had an A4 for about 7 years, and again, the leather stayed in the same condition as when it arrived, so was quite stiff/firm.

I suppose I'm saying that the leather is very good quality, so might not change much from how it is now, but it's worth going back to Audi if you're finding it uncomfortable, they might be able to do something?

Its the padding in the seat that dictates the comfort not the quality of the leather

Years back S-line meant 'sports' in looks if not performance, in which case you probably have 'sports' seats, better get used to that firm feeling.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Its the padding in the seat that dictates the comfort not the quality of the leather
    I think it's a combination of them both, if the leather is thick and firm and doesn't degrade and become more supple, the seat will keep this characteristics.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My A3 S-Line Quattro (full leather) was pretty unforgiving but pedal spacing was narrow so the bolster didn't affect my thigh. The rock hard suspension was unbearable though and led to me selling it within 2 years

My A4 S-Line the seats (half leather) are a touch wider and as is the pedal spacing. If I hop in for a short journey the bolster can worry my right thigh a bit if I don't settle myself into the seat properly - on a long journey it's not a problem as I make sure I'm sitting straight and especially with cruise control and an auto gearbox.

I think it's safe to say that if you have a *ahem* larger posterior, go for an A5 or above as the seats are much wider and also avoid top spec leather sports packages as the bolsters tend to be more aggressive so that you don't slide around in the seat when cornering.

Master
    i had an A5 Sportback S line with Nappa leather sports seats and yes they were rock hard on long journeys and had to keep rolling the lumbar support up and down to take the pressure off my back,by comparison my BMW 3 series is like sitting on a comfy armchair even though they seem very similar.

Master
    I've got the petrol SQ5 and find it to be very comfortable. As you suggested, could be that the seats are simply too firm for your weight??

Craftsman

if it helps

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I've got the petrol SQ5 and find it to be very comfortable. As you suggested, could be that the seats are simply too firm for your weight??

I'm nowhere near 'skinny' and would he happy to thrash drive it about for a bit for you to see if the additional weight helps bed the seats in. I thought about an Audi recently when I bought our last car but decided on a Skoda octavia vRS estate eventually. The seats in that are quite snug but not as uncomfortable as yours sound. Having driven a few Audi's I suspect your seat may soften a little over time but not change a great deal sadly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    I'm nowhere near 'skinny' and would he happy to thrash drive it about for a bit for you to see if the additional weight helps bed the seats in. I thought about an Audi recently when I bought our last car but decided on a Skoda octavia vRS estate eventually. The seats in that are quite snug but not as uncomfortable as yours sound. Having driven a few Audi's I suspect your seat may soften a little over time but not change a great deal sadly.

I'm not the OP who has the issue. He's the skinny guy, I'm more of a rugby build and find it very comfortable in my SQ5

Craftsman

I know

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I'm not the OP who has the issue. He's the skinny guy, I'm more of a rugby build and find it very comfortable in my SQ5
    I was offering to assist with my lardy arse to see if your suspicion might be correct.☺️

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    i had an A5 Sportback S line with Nappa leather sports seats and yes they were rock hard on long journeys and had to keep rolling the lumbar support up and down to take the pressure off my back,by comparison my BMW 3 series is like sitting on a comfy armchair even though they seem very similar.

Ditto my 5 Series which has Sports seats are so more comfy then my A5 and TT which both had Nappa

If you have the nappa option in the newer Q5 S-Line, you’ll have the diamond stitching, right? If so, it does look very cool.
    It’s different to pretty much every other seat in that respect, I don’t know if that’ll affect the way it breaks in. It’s more to do with the padding than the leather but it will probably mould to you over time. Congrats on the new car though; I do like the Q5!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Funnily enough one of my wife's friends, who seems to be more concerned about what the neighbours think than whether the car she drives is best suited to her, bought an A1 and ticked every option she could possibly find. Not so long ago she was sitting on our sofa reeling off all the options (I'm still not sure why) and mentioned she'd gone for the sports seats but that they were very uncomfortable. I'd wondered what she meant but now I think I know. I always assumed sports seats should be supportive but still comfortable. A friend who races cars once told me the carbon seat another friend had fitted to his racing car wasn't going to save him any time over a heavier but comfortable seat because the latter allows you to get on with racing without worrying about having a sore arse.

Which reminds me, I need to look at Impreza seats for my Forester, which has the most unsupportive seat I've ever sat on!
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    I think most german cars have hard seats my golf seats are a lot harder than my mrs fiesta seat but still comfy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I think most german cars have hard seats my golf seats are a lot harder than my mrs fiesta seat but still comfy
    I have a "bad back", lower 3 discs bulging so comfortable seats for me is a must. I find the sports seats in my 3 series quite comfy, not as comfortable as those that were in my previous Accord but I've been sat in them on long journeys and have no complaints.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Thanks chaps!

We've had 5 other Audis over the years, all bar one with leather. The TT was the most comfortable (it was also the oldest), but I just don't remember the seats being so darn hard!

I will report back to see if they soften over the coming months. I don't hold out much hope.

Thanks "hops" for offering to drive it around for a few weeks to wear them in though! I might have to start leaving a sandbag on the seats when it's parked.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    And these are the offending seats. Look fantastic, ride on the firm side!

They look great. It's amazing to think even 20 years ago seats looking that good only came in the likes of Ferraris.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    They look great. It's amazing to think even 20 years ago seats looking that good only came in the likes of Ferraris.
    Interestingly in 1998 a 355 was around the £78K mark and the Q5 seems to range £40-52K.

They’re quite similar to the seats in my other half’s RS3. I’m of skinny build too and find them pretty comfortable but lack lateral support compared to her outgoing C63

It's very individual. A friend can't drive any modern bmw with the sports seats, but his e46 m3 is no problem. Similarly, all the vag group cars I've driven have been fine, but I'm getting back ache everytime.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    They’re quite similar to the seats in my other half’s RS3. I’m of skinny build too and find them pretty comfortable but lack lateral support compared to her outgoing C63
    Your other half has great taste in cars.

Master
    The seats in my 2k Saab 9-5 are very comfy, no problems even on the day I did over 500 miles in it.

Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    Your other half has great taste in cars.
    Thanks, but I’ll take credit for the car selecting. She does enjoy driving them though.

I have these in my TT - do you have the lumbar support pumped up? that makes them super hard. Also theres the thigh extension that pulls the front part of the seat forward to fit under the thigh/ knee. Put your hands between your legs ;)

I've always found the vast majority of leather seats in german cars hard, sports seats or not.

A firm seat does little for me unless it's very fitted around my bum and lats, which I absolutely need if it's anything that corners well. Have spent enough time rattling from side to side in large firm sports seats.

Craftsman

Saab

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    The seats in my 2k Saab 9-5 are very comfy, no problems even on the day I did over 500 miles in it.
    Or certainly ones of a certain vintage are hard to beat on the comfort stakes. Their seats are amongst the best you’ll park your botty on.

Beautiful seats but will not lose their firmness from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    And these are the offending seats. Look fantastic, ride on the firm side!

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
    I have these in my TT - do you have the lumbar support pumped up? that makes them super hard. Also theres the thigh extension that pulls the front part of the seat forward to fit under the thigh/ knee. Put your hands between your legs ;)
    That’s a good point, if I even touch the lumbar settings on my seats they quickly feel like a wooden bench.

Craftsman
    Thanks, but I’ll take credit for the car selecting. She does enjoy driving them though.
    Similar to our house then, but there's no chance I could persuade her to get one of those, good job mate!

Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    Similar to our house then, but there's no chance I could persuade her to get one of those, good job mate!
    Here's a quick photo of the seats in the RS3, quite similar to those above but with an integrated head rest.

Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all, looks like I’ll have to grin and bear it on long journeys for the foreseeable future!

Ps love the RS3, what’s a fun drive!

I would take it to an automotive trimmer and get a quote for fitting some less firm foam to the seat base.

It has to be that extra diamond stitching that causes the firmness? Surely with all the stitching the leather can only flex as much as the give on the stitching thread?

Another option, although a wild shot is to sign up to an Audi forum and a) ask for opinions and b) maybe ask to swap seats with somebody who has a similar colour scheme but differing seats?

Master
    Having just got an S3 with the nappa sports seats option (£1300!! but this was the only car in the JCT600 network) I can honestly say I find them very comfortable. I did some tweaking of the lumbar support to get them just right and now they're spot on. After 3 hours driving not a twinge.

Note the sports seats have the integrated headrest and 'S' (or 'RS') logo and might be different from the seats offered for S-Line so perhaps my comments are completely irrelevant :-(

Perhaps it's simply a case of body design and layout (I mean the human element in the equation) ;-)

Craftsman
    Here's a quick photo of the seats in the RS3, quite similar to those above but with an integrated head rest.
    Looks fabulous and a grin-inducing drive I'm sure. I'm 'well jeal' as they say, apparently.

Slightly off topic, but my RX8 had wonderfully comfortable seats (one of the many incredible things about this woefully under-rated car ).

I drove a friend's BMW X3 a little while ago and while the experience was generally rather unpleasant (I'm never going to warm to SUVs), the seats struck me as very comfortable - Are BMW seats generally very good as, when the lease on my Golf expires, I'm considering a 3 or 4 Series?

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Slightly off topic, but my RX8 had wonderfully comfortable seats (one of the many incredible things about this woefully under-rated car ).

I drove a friend's BMW X3 a little while ago and while the experience was generally rather unpleasant (I'm never going to warm to SUVs), the seats struck me as very comfortable - Are BMW seats generally very good as, when the lease on my Golf expires, I'm considering a 3 or 4 Series?

M
    I have a very fussy back and have found the seats in my 3 series which is an m sport as I believe that has different seats very comfortable. My son has a mk7.5 golf gti and I find the seats in his car really uncomfortable and the same for my wifes yaris.