closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Shouldn't wear your watch down the pub thread...

Master

Shouldn't wear your watch down the pub thread...

Arg! Bit lucky it's mainly isolated to the strap links. Will I ever learn! Who else has some watch / pub related oops moments...

Master
    Gutted for you!

I'm wearing my £15 Casio while the weather is good enough for short sleeves. (Needs to be very good weather for me to expose my arms!) It's long sleeves that prevent me doing more damage than I otherwise would.

Always wear my G10 to the pub, never have to worry when times get wobly.

Master
    If i go out for a number of drinks I don’t wear my nicer watches. Gutted for you chap.

Worse things happen at sea drinking on a boat:

I was out on lake Michigan earlier today on a friends boat. We where at least a mile from shore. I was drinking a beer, some other guys fished. It was A grand old time. The boat rocked a bit, I slipped. When I did, my left wrist struck a corner on the metal rail at which time the watch that was on that wrist hit in just such a way, with just enough force at just the right angle to break the spring bar. Then in what seemed slow motion, I watched my Rolex 116610LV slide off my wrist, take a small bounce and tumble into a estimated 300 feet of water.

Craftsman
    I always wear my nice watches on nights out regardless.
    I have done similar damage in the past.
    Trouble is, often the messiest sessions are the unplanned spur of the moment ones. Pop out for a quiet weekday lunch, get home the next day etc.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Usually reach for an inexpensive dive watch when partaking of some falling-down juice, but a 10-hour client 'lunch' yesterday called for something a bit smarter on the wrist - do admit to holding my breath when checking for damage this morning, but seemingly none (just the same bezel dent caused when out with the same client last year).

You know, not a single good story begins with "we had a milk in a morning" :)

You’re a long time dead, just wear the f*****g things, that’s what they were made for.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    I like wearing my watches out to the pub, but this is what I’m always scared of.

Until the 2nd pint.

Master
    I was wondering about making an effort to not wear my Damasko as often and try a few others more regularly partly because I've been thinking the plain white face is a little boring recently. Then I remember how tough it is and I feel myself valuing it's practicality again.

Softer watches get worn when the risk of impromptu damage is negligible. If I was going to worry about it I wouldn't wear it or I'd sell it. Some are just designed to be tougher than others

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    You’re a long time dead, just wear the f*****g things, that’s what they were made for.

This! A thousand times this!!!

It seems this supposed "snowflake" generation stuff has spread to TZUK. Where did the men go?

Master
    Get it sorted at service time, I’ve clattered my 5712 nothing a full service won’t sort out.

That’ll be £1700.00 quid please.🤭

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    This! Where did the men go
    They roam from web forum to web forum, fretting about the state of masculinity and writing "This!"

This! A thousand times this!!!

It seems this supposed "snowflake" generation stuff has spread to TZUK. Where did the men go?
    Heaven, in the 80s. According to Andy.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    They roam from web forum to web forum, fretting about the state of masculinity and writing "This!"

One less pansy to worry about though eh? Best if you concentrate on the folks getting into a cold sweat worrying about stepping out of the house to enjoy a pint with a watch on.
    Very soon we'll need a sub-forum dedicated to those who can afford an expensive watch (and love to tell us all so) but can't bring themselves to actually buy one as opportunities to wear it are so few and far between... Anywhere with armed security on the door, basically.

**Edit - not directed at anyone in this thread, some of the replies just felt like an extension of the "almost got mugged" nonsense from earlier in the week.
    Last edited by kevkojak; 1st July 2018 at 15:43.

One less pansy to worry about though eh? Best if you concentrate on the folks getting into a cold sweat worrying about stepping out of the house to enjoy a pint with a watch on.
    Very soon we'll need a sub-forum dedicated to those who can afford an expensive watch (and love to tell us all so) but can't bring themselves to actually buy one as opportunities to wear it are so few and far between... Anywhere with armed security on the door, basically.

**Edit - not directed at anyone in this thread, some of the replies just felt like an extension of the "almost got mugged" nonsense from earlier in the week.
    You do realise that by joining a web forum about watches you are, in the eyes of the general population, a weirdo?

Calling people pansies - aside from indicating just how old you are - might help you pretend to yourself that you aren't half-fruitcake, but you aren't kidding anyone else. Imagine your family's faces if you showed them your contribution to this thead. You're as hopeless a case as everyone else here, so why don't you stop making out you're any better?

Amen! If you can't afford the kit, don't play the sport!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Really? Many can afford the kit but chose simply to look after it/them where possible and utilise other nice watches instead. For example, instead of wearing my 4K watches out where there is a stronger likelihood of them being damaged (drinking!) I wear my 1k watch. Makes perfect sense to me. Different watches for different occasions.

Meh. From my point of view it's not about being a 'snowflake', but rather picking horses for courses, and looking after my stuff.

I wear all my watches, and of course they pick up scratches & dings, which is life.

But if I know I'm going to be doing something where there's a fairly high chance of damage - like getting smashed out of my tree - then I'll switch what I'm wearing out for something I won't mind maybe banging as much. Just common sense.

Master
    You do realise that by joining a web forum about watches you are, in the eyes of the general population, a weirdo?

Calling people pansies - aside from indicating just how old you are - might help you pretend to yourself that you aren't half-fruitcake, but you aren't kidding anyone else. Imagine your family's faces if you showed them your contribution to this thead. You're as hopeless a case as everyone else here, so why don't you stop making out you're any better?
    Who used the word weirdo? And when did I give the indication I was any better than anyone else here? The fact that I don't choose a "pub" watch and turn out in whatever I'm wearing I presume.

Since you have tried to turn this personal I have another suggestion. Go and f### yourself Keyboard hero, I'm easy to reach by PM if you have anything else to offer.

[COLOR="silver"]- - - Updated - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Really? Many can afford the kit but chose simply to look after it/them where possible and utilise other nice watches instead. For example, instead of wearing my 4K watches out where there is a stronger likelihood of them being damaged (drinking!) I wear my 1k watch. Makes perfect sense to me. Different watches for different occasions.
    The crux of my stance in this discussion is in how an individual interprets the word "afford".

Some people think it just means having the money to purchase a thing...

Dont really get that analogy tbh. I think it's reasonable that if you have a nice or particularly expensive watch to only wear it on special occasions for example. Most people on here have more than one watch. If you are going to go out and get blattered it makes sense to wear a g shock or something. Just my 2p.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    The crux of my stance in this discussion is in how an individual interprets the word "afford".

Some people think it just means having the money to purchase a thing...
    That’s very true. I see many threads and YouTube reviews of people buying watches only to say thy don’t want to wear them incase they damage them. That is a different thing from having different watche’s for different occasions/activities. To be clear I am not picking a fight just looking to clarify :)

I'm not picking a fight either.

Perhaps it would be more accurate of me to say there's a difference between being able to afford to buy a thing and to be able to afford to own a thing.

I'm all for diversity in a watch collection but if, for instance, you cant wear a steel dive watch on a rubber strap to the pub then perhaps you bought the wrong watch.

Master
    Wow, what I thought might be a jovial thread turned a bit nasty.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    Wow, what I thought might be a jovial thread turned a bit nasty.
    Yup, some odd comments on this one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Yup, some odd comments on this one.
    Yeah was expecting some drunken tales and smashed watches not this nonsense.

Master
    Oh if life were that simple! This forum has a lot of pistonheads about it at times which is a shame.

Point missed.

Spectacularly.

Master
    Point missed.

Spectacularly.
    Glad someone else said it. No idea why this thread became about affordability. Certainly that was not what I was posting about. Was just pissed off I scratched my watch!

Glad someone else said it. No idea why this thread became about affordability. Certainly that was not what I was posting about. Was just pissed off I scratched my watch!
    it'll polish out.

Its like a new pair of decent shoes - until you get that crease where the toes bend, you look like youre at your first day at school - and, until the first polish, you look like youre saving them for weddings!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Do what you like with your own stuff ...

I wear my Explorer for most things, this weekend that includes cycling, swimming in the sea and making sand castles. I do remove it for aggressive DIY.

But if you like to keep your stuff perfect then be sensible.

Some watches I am careful with others just have to get stuck in ...

Craftsman
    The scratches and scars that your watch picks up while you wear it are what make your watch yours. Don’t fret about them; they can always be fixed/replaced at a future service.

Craftsman
    I've a regular drinking buddy who delights in teasing me about being particular about things such as a bezel being lined up, minute hand hitting the markers at 0 seconds etc.
    I wear any of my nice watches out when partaking in an inevitably heavy session with him. However, I seem to retain a level of care for my watch long after one for myself has vanished.
    He on the other hand delights in winding me up by grating his nice Swiss dive watch face first across the corner of a brick wall with all his might. Saying "I asked for the most hard wearing model as I'm a clumsy sod".
    Puts my teeth on edge and I have trouble watching it, but he has insisted on this drunken demonstration a couple of times recently and I've got to admit it's most impressive how materials such as steel, ceramic and sapphire glass hold up to this level of idiocy.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    There's an American dealer on ch24 who sells genuine replacement lug links. Easy fix and lucky it wasn't the bezel.

As for the rest of the men vs snowflake stuff, it's a bit embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moses View Post
    He on the other hand delights in winding me up by grating his nice Swiss dive watch face first across the corner of a brick wall with all his might. Saying "I asked for the most hard wearing model as I'm a clumsy sod".
    Puts my teeth on edge and I have trouble watching it, but he has insisted on this drunken demonstration a couple of times recently and I've got to admit it's most impressive how materials such as steel, ceramic and sapphire glass hold up to this level of idiocy.
    Hahaha, sounds like a funny guy

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Hahaha, sounds like a funny guy
    Reminds me of a mate who thought it would be a a good idea to demonstrate the toughness of his new Seamaster at the pub by placing it around his hand and slamming it into a wood tabletop, which not-surprisingly resulted in half of the dial markers coming loose.

Very impressive. :)

Master
    Superb. :)

That’s all well and good, but what if the pub is in London, eh?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R

Ah, I forgot about London, I stand corrected. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Worse things happen at sea drinking on a boat:
    Shoulderless springbars almost completely cure this.
    For those who like a 'belt and braces' approach, a non-wis mate who wears a bracelet watch uses a length of ten-pound B.S. nylon fishing line. By running over the bracelet below the end link, under the watch, and again over the bracelet below the opposite end link and knotting, this is virtually invisible and almost as good as a one piece strap.

R
    Or even worse Naples :)

I wear my Kermit LV everywhere and it shows. I'm now worried that replacing it would be difficult and so it's time to get something else to relieve the LV of it's harder daily duties. It will be a Omega Semaster or PO. If it get knackered/nicked/falls off a boat call the insurance company and buy another straight off the shelf.

You don’t have to resort to wearing an Omega. Just get a regular black bezel assembly for the LV and continue to wear it as it was intended to be:

Master
    Would have been well received had it been part of the line up.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    You don’t have to resort to wearing an Omega. Just get a regular black bezel assembly for the LV and continue to wear it as it was intended to be:
    I know I don't "have" to, but I want to...and this justifies it with the missus ;)

I have a discontinued Breitling too so the argument for a new watch still stands. Now I just need Omega to discontinue the Planet Ocean in a couple of years and I can get another one.

Flawless plan!

Agreed, that’s sound man logic.

R
    Quote Originally Posted by njr911 View Post
    Or even worse Naples :)

I wear my Kermit LV everywhere and it shows. I'm now worried that replacing it would be difficult and so it's time to get something else to relieve the LV of it's harder daily duties. It will be a Omega Semaster or PO. If it get knackered/nicked/falls off a boat call the insurance company and buy another straight off the shelf.
    A valid point re replacement. I have to be very careful when I wear something really rare, like my PRS-5 Broadarrow, long since discontinued and virtually impossible to find used.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Looks like you had a good night to me! Had plenty of scratches from nights out myself

Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post
    Looks like you had a good night to me! Had plenty of scratches from nights out myself
    Hope you mean the watch...