closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In central Naples having a pizza when...

Craftsman
    I have worn my watches everywhere all over the world, never really put the effort to hide them unless I felt uncomfortable but after visiting Naples, it’s the only place where I wouldn’t even want it on my wrist! Shame as Sorrento is such a beautiful town as I spent 2 weeks there for a friends wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I am a frail old man just a whisker from his 3 score years and ten.

I recently spent a couple of days in Naples wearing the 1655 and my wife wore her YG Rolex in Naples and neither of us even noticed any ruffians.

I suspect that some here potter around in the more dubious areas looking dodgy night clubs etc.
    Cataracts?

Sorry Mick, couldn’t resist, just kidding. 😁
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    My colleague was attacked in Naples for his watch and wallet last summer, but he managed to get away.

I think Naples is a nice city, but it’s one of the few cities in the western world where I’d not wear an expensive watch.
    This. Been in Italy plenty but mainly in the Northern part. No probs at all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    No such worries in Weston super mare tonight with my Holliday watch,I was openly photographing it after finishing my fish and chips by the grand pier.
    The only sign of any menace was Batman
    It’s the seagulls which are the menace in Weston, flying chip thieving rats.

I was in Naples today, no problems at all. Was also in Pompeii it was incredible!

Master
    No such worries in Weston super mare tonight with my Holliday watch,I was openly photographing it after finishing my fish and chips by the grand pier.

[url=https://postimg.cc/image/vajqdq3xp/][img]https://s22.postimg.cc
    You need to get to grove park gone midnight

What's the watch? Is it modded?
    TIA

David

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    What's the watch? Is it modded?
    TIA

David
    It’s a solar X I bought from SC I think the previous owner removed a cyclops,I’ve done nothing to it.

It’s a solar X I bought from SC I think the previous owner removed a cyclops,I’ve done nothing to it.
    Nice one - thank you!

On my way to London. Wearing my Omega. If I get out in one piece, I'll let you know.
    #prayformoonwatch

Master
    I trust that you have left Mrs Gyp a suitable care package in your absence?

#Staysafe

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I trust that you have left Mrs Gyp a suitable care package in your absence?

#Staysafe
    Don't worry. Gyp Jr is home from uni so can take on the role of prosecco waiter if needed.
    #notdeadyet

There is an increasing number of European cities where I would not wear a nice watch. Naples is top of the list with Palma in Mallorca also near the top!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Watcha View Post
    There is an increasing number of European cities where I would not wear a nice watch. Naples is top of the list with Palma in Mallorca also near the top!
    Interesting, have you had bad experiences in Palma? I’ve been there many times, but only during the day and close to the beach, so would not have full picture of what is going on.

Home safe from that there London.

Going again tomorrow, but will take the PRS 18Q to be on the safe side

Quote Originally Posted by Watcha View Post
    I liked Palma but there is a herd of tourists coming off Cruise ships all the time, they remind me of a school of herring being circled by sharks and other predators just waiting for the attack..

If your in WSM stick to the road, find yourself off that road and you might end up in the Bournville estate and losing that watch will be the last of your worries

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I liked Palma but there is a herd of tourists coming off Cruise ships all the time, they remind me of a school of herring being circled by sharks and other predators just waiting for the attack..
    Same with Capri; best to dodge the cruise liners and head up to Annacapri away from the crowds

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Has anyone got any experience of wearing an expensive watch in London?
    There's an extremely irritating twonk of a so-called comedian who has some knowledge of this apparently.

I’ve spent time working in Naples and it’s fairly well known as being a not very nice place so I’m not surprised you got this reaction. It’s fine if you’re there with locals and know where to avoid but I treat it very differently to other parts of Italy.

Was the comment about wearing an expensive watch in London tongue in cheek?

Master
    Positano, Amalfi, Sorrento etc are safe as the Camorra don't want the tourist trade disrupted and the money disappearing! Naples off the beaten track is one threatening place, I did not feel comfortable. I've felt less threatened in downtown Lagos, Nigeria.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Positano, Amalfi, Sorrento etc are safe as the Camorra don't want the tourist trade disrupted and the money disappearing! Naples off the beaten track is one threatening place, I did not feel comfortable. I've felt less threatened in downtown Lagos, Nigeria.

Plenty of Cruise ships stop off at Naples, though - but I would agree, Naples doesnt appear to be the safest of destinations. I was told that the further south you go in Italy - the worse it gets.

Master
    Me and my dear old frail wife tottered along a busy promenade for a couple of hours with me wearing a Rolex 1655 and she a 31mm YG Datejust. No one even gave us a glance and the simple truth is that all the decent ruffians can't be bothered to mug an old couple because they don't notice what watch we wear.

Bit of a let down really but as usual everything is just exaggeration and speculation.

If I do get robbed, I will let you know but don't hold your breath.

Master
    Me and my dear old frail wife tottered along a busy promenade for a couple of hours with me wearing a Rolex 1655 and she a 31mm YG Datejust. No one even gave us a glance and the simple truth is that all the decent ruffians can't be bothered to mug an old couple because they don't notice what watch we wear.

Bit of a let down really but as usual everything is just exaggeration and speculation.

If I do get robbed, I will let you know but don't hold your breath.
    Try heading into town away from the safe side/promenade, then report back from your hospital bed... :wink:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Try heading into town away from the safe side/promenade, then report back from your hospital bed... :wink:
    Sensible people walk in safe areas, anyone walking in rough areas are not exactly being sensible are they.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Plenty of Cruise ships stop off at Naples, though - but I would agree, Naples doesnt appear to be the safest of destinations. I was told that the further south you go in Italy - the worse it gets.
    I suspect that the Bay of Naples and the Naples of Ghomorra fame are rather different beasts.

Journeyman
    Sensible people walk in safe areas, anyone walking in rough areas are not exactly being sensible are they.
    Sometimes you don’t know you’re in a rough area until it hits you ;)

Particularly in Naples where (and I hate to say it) it all looks like a rough area. Or maybe that’s the point...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    If your in WSM stick to the road, find yourself off that road and you might end up in the Bournville estate and losing that watch will be the last of your worries
    I won’t be going back it’s not that exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I suspect that the Bay of Naples and the Naples of Ghomorra fame are rather different beasts.
    Very true. But it’s worth braving the city of Naples for this if nothing else:

Master
    Blog Entries

Has anyone ever worn a nice watch to Knifepoint? I keep hearing on the news of people getting robbed there. Should I wear a Casio or will my Sub be ok?

Journeyman
    “3. Don’t show off shiny jewelry or expensive gadgets. This one is obvious. You shouldn’t even do this on your home town.”

Spoilsport

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    Has anyone ever worn a nice watch to Knifepoint? I keep hearing on the news of people getting robbed there.

Does anyone else wear their watch to bed?

Craftsman
    I am from Naples and i don’t wear my expensive watches when walking through the city centre.
    But i would not do it either when walking through the ramblas in Barcelona, zones 5-6 in London or the banlieu in Paris...

The Amalfi coast and Capri are very safe places and more patrolled by the police so you can feel safe there.

Having said that, Napoli is worth a visit for the friendliness of the people, some hidden gems (ie cappella san severo, as shown above), its pizza and coffee etc..
    You just need to apply a bit of attention and you ll be “safe”.

Quote Originally Posted by antongiu View Post
    I am from Naples and i don’t wear my expensive watches when walking through the city centre.
    But i would not do it either when walking through the ramblas in Barcelona, zones 5-6 in London or the banlieu in Paris...

The Amalfi coast and Capri are very safe places and more patrolled by the police so you can feel safe there.

Having said that, Napoli is worth a visit for the friendliness of the people, some hidden gems (ie cappella san severo, as shown above), its pizza and coffee etc..
    You just need to apply a bit of attention and you ll be “safe”.
    I'm from Naples as well and can confirm what Antongiu wrote. I would add that odly in Naples the city centre which is historically relevant is actually one of the poorest places of the city. There are posh places of the city that are really safe but are not really important to visit or if you visit it you would spend much less time there compared to the city centre.

I would say Naples is incredibly beautiful and not going to visit it is an offence against the beauty.

That made me chuckle.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What’s/where’s safe in this world today? I always thought Nice was safe turns out it wasn’t.

Conversely I’ve been in war zones where the last thing I was worried about was someone stealing my watch.

The world isn’t getting safer and the threat[s] are getting more random.

Craftsman
    Just had three nights in Barcelona, including walking around Las Rambla , and many a back street around there , never once felt that anyone was even looking at my sub never mind building up enough courage to have an attempt to to relieve me of it.

Master
    I am a frail old man just a whisker from his 3 score years and ten.

I recently spent a couple of days in Naples wearing the 1655 and my wife wore her YG Rolex in Naples and neither of us even noticed any ruffians.

I suspect that some here potter around in the more dubious areas looking dodgy night clubs etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    The entire city looks dubious.

It best viewed from the flyover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

In central Naples having a pizza when...

Check out

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs..._Campania.html

First review

We were in Naples recently and I have to say I wish we had never gone. The streets are overflowing with nasty stinking garbage, and if that wasn't enough... My partner was accosted and mugged at 2:00 in the afternoon. Apparently this happens all the time. Two very bold young thugs knocked him to the ground and ripped his Rolex from his wrist.

Craftsman
    First review but from 2011!
    You just picked one of the 800 negative reviews whereas the Very positive ones are x 10 times!

Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    Check out

First review

We were in Naples recently and I have to say I wish we had never gone. The streets are overflowing with nasty stinking garbage, and if that wasn't enough... My partner was accosted and mugged at 2:00 in the afternoon. Apparently this happens all the time. Two very bold young thugs knocked him to the ground and ripped his Rolex from his wrist.

Blog Entries
    An old friend of mine was attacked in Naples , two young lads on a moped tried to take his datejust when he was leaving a cruise ship.
    Unfortunately for them he was as lairy as and fought them off .
    70 years old at the time.

Been since , never seen them .
    Last edited by numberjack; 3rd July 2018 at 04:19.

The world isn’t getting safer and the threat[s] are getting more random.
    The world according to the Daily Mail and daytime telly.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    Check out

First review

This was a period in which Naples was strugling with a massive garbage problem. There were literally mountains of garbage in the streets. But now everything is changed. It's back on it's splendour. The city is reborn with a lot of turists coming to visit and a lot of money is flowing in. I have no interest of support Naples.... I don't live there anymore but who ever doens't put Naples as one of the major attraction of Italy... well it's never been to Naples.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    The world according to the Daily Mail and daytime telly.
    I wouldn’t know I read/watch either, but I do have my eyes open.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Watch Gomorrah
    LOL +1

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by antongiu View Post
    First review but from 2011!
    You just picked one of the 800 negative reviews whereas the Very positive ones are x 10 times!
    So basically it’s not changed in 7 years. The positive ones are just from people who haven’t been or not felt like they’ve been mugged.

Quote Originally Posted by Dankan87 View Post
    This was a period in which Naples was strugling with a massive garbage problem. There were literally mountains of garbage in the streets. But now everything is changed. It's back on it's splendour. The city is reborn with a lot of turists coming to visit and a lot of money is flowing in. I have no interest of support Naples.... I don't live there anymore but who ever doens't put Naples as one of the major attraction of Italy... well it's never been to Naples.
    The cities garbage problem is the least of its worries. The garbage now has two legs and two wheels.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Has anyone got any experience of wearing an expensive watch in London?
    I've been working in central London for the last 4 years and been up on and off before that. Been to a quite a few gigs, plenty pubs, late night Tube and trains all sporting a Rolex GMT-II.

The only odd moment I've had was a few years back when a tourist turned my wrist to check the time/the watch whilst he was sat and I was standing on a rush hour Central line Tube. I certainly wasn't under the impression he was trying anything funny and he would've been doing well to make any sort of escape from that position in the carriage if he was :)

I generally wear jeans, t-shirt and my commuting leave-me-alone face and am not the smallest bloke, so that might help me not look like the obvious target!