closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Property lawyers out there?

Master

Property lawyers out there?

Any advice gratefully received!

I put down a "reservation fee" yesterday on a residential property. Today they call and say, sorry, price has gone up 7.6%!!

Reservation form says "subject to contract" which I assume means the 'undertaking' to sell at the originally quoted price is meaningless.

This is in England, of course!

Cheers!

If it is meaningless, accept the increase and pull out yourself before contract.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If it is meaningless, accept the increase and pull out yourself before contract.
    Indeed! It's completion some months off on a new development. Just a bit sour taste getting "stung" hours after reserving. Looks like it's just English residential property law as we know and love it!

Unless anyone knows better?

Master
    It means that it is non-binding up to the point that you physically enter into a formal contract.

All you can do is contact the most senior person in the organisation you were buying from and ask him to honour what was agreed.

If he chooses not to then I'd take it as a message that I wouldn't want to deal with them anyway.

Craftsman
    If you stay with them at the increased price,what's to stop them doing it again before an exchange of contracts?
    Maybe this link could be useful if the builder has subscribed to this "code":http://www.consumercodefornewhomes.c...ode/4591786489
    Reputable builders do not normally do this;if word gets out then it damages their reputation.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    It means that it is non-binding up to the point that you physically enter into a formal contract.

All you can do is contact the most senior person in the organisation you were buying from and ask him to honour what was agreed.

If he chooses not to then I'd take it as a message that I wouldn't want to deal with them anyway.
    This what I'd do - if the company you want to deal with doesn't conform with your own values, think really carefully whether you want to deal with them. It's not just completing, you could spend the next two years trying to get them to sort out snagging issues - and some companies are not what you would want after they've had your money...

Master
    What's the point of a deposit if the seller can simply increase the price to and effectively cancel the contract?

If you wanted to get out and they didn't want to, could you simply say I'm now offering 7.6% less, if you don't accept refund me.

Seems pointless to pay a deposit

Master
    Thanks all. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by topcat666 View Post
    If you stay with them at the increased price,what's to stop them doing it again before an exchange of contracts?
    Maybe this link could be useful if the builder has subscribed to this "code":http://www.consumercodefornewhomes.c...ode/4591786489
    Reputable builders do not normally do this;if word gets out then it damages their reputation.
    Thanks. Very useful indeed. The reservation form refers to the Code but I wasn't given a hard or a soft copy. It makes interesting reading and, for what it's worth, appears to put them (or rather the agent) squarely in the wrong.

EDIT: Apparently, there is more than one "code" and this developer isn't in that one! It is in this: http://www.consumercode.co.uk so I need to see what that says! Thought I was getting somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post

I hadn't appreciated the full scope of the Consumer Code topcat666 highlighted. I'd wrongly assumed it was just the usual (developer) "gazumping" permitted under English law.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    This what I'd do - if the company you want to deal with doesn't conform with your own values, think really carefully whether you want to deal with them. It's not just completing, you could spend the next two years trying to get them to sort out snagging issues - and some companies are not what you would want after they've had your money...
    Absolutely. If they are playing fast and loose at this stage ....

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    What's the point of a deposit if the seller can simply increase the price to and effectively cancel the contract?

If you wanted to get out and they didn't want to, could you simply say I'm now offering 7.6% less, if you don't accept refund me.

Seems pointless to pay a deposit
    Agreed. It's not a deposit strictly but rather a reservation fee. The terms of a reservation should meet the standards in the Code. It appears to me that their actions haven't.
    Last edited by David_D; 20th June 2018 at 22:14.