closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Time capsule watches

Time capsule watches

Looking at the 1973 (birth year) Heuer on SC has really got me tempted but what’s the consensus on actually wearing these full set unworn pieces.

Yes, easy to say “just wear the damn thing” but what’s the impact? Can it ever be “restored” (and by restored I don;t mean a service and a polish, more a “does it cease to be a NOS and thus lose a big chunk of it’s inherent value”) to it’s pristine condition or is that lost the day it goes on the wrist?

Sincere question as I don’t want to spoil a sales thread and am genuinely interested in the watch. I would, however, quite like to wear a birth year watch rather than look at it longingly in a hermetically sealed chamber...

Master
    It’s only Original Once !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I would never buy a watch just to stick in a safe. Some do but if it ticks it gets worn.

Master

It’s a tricky one.

That Heuer is really an ornament isn’t it. Trouble is it even has the case back sticker which would be destroyed wearing it.

I think the only way I’d wear it would be to buy another case back, swap them and store the original and wear the Watch carefully.

I’m usually all for wearing them but in that case I think it’s more a collectors watch that likes to look at them.

Wouldn’t mind a time machine, a fag packet and $88 now!

You’d be better off buying an honest hug worn example; it’ll cost you less, you can wear it all you like and you won’t have as much to lose.

Those vintage Heuers are all very nice though, I was certainly tempted by the Carrera.

I agree on the case back sticker being valuable to this watch but I really don’t know what people do to beat up their watches, I swap around all the time and wear some tall watches that ride high on the wrist like an MM300 but I very rarely hit a watch on something.
    Yes there is always that chance but some of the dings and scratches people put on a watch I find amazing, I mean if your a one watch mechanic then yes it’ll get knocked around but any work like that I chuck on an old G-Shock.

Really why are so many Rolex polished so the lugs go thin, do owners just not care or just clumsy and swing their arm into every hard surface they pass...

If I had the funds to purchase either/both Heuer‘s on SC I would wear them no problem once a spare caseback fitted to the NOS watch.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Day in day out I am always, as you said, "wear the damned watch"
    But.
    I wouldn't wear the nos heuer.
    It's survived for longer than I have with not a mark on it and because I DO wear my watches for absolutely everything I wouldn't be a very good custodian.

Hi all, i think it best to declare from the start that i am the seller of the Heuer’s on Sales Corner right now.
    Naturally i read this thread with interest & thought i would explain my own position/thoughts.
    I am a focused Heuer collector and have the good fortune to be able to wear my watches carefully in rotation.
    The NOS Viceroy Autavia however was such a rare find i couldnt bring myself to wear it. Thats the problem with NOS, you are torn between being a user or a custodian.
    I’m afraid it will be up to the next owner as to whether its a wearer or the subject of admiration.
    As to the altenative caseback option suggested by some above i may have a solution for that ...

Its a custom see through case back intended for the 1163 model Autavia.

- Darren

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It is beautiful Darren.

Time capsule watches

I’m ready to be hung at dawn, but I’d be taking the sticker off and putting it on the wrist

(The watch - not the sticker)

To shell out the money for a NOS example of something like that, you need to have a pretty high opinion of it; to turn it from a very rare, untouched watch to simply one in excellent used condition, you need to have a pretty high opinion of yourself too. Or, perhaps, just a very low opinion of collectors who admire without wearing.

It’s a stunning watch, I’m genuinely considering it as a purchase but would like to wear it rather than see it as a piece to be admired from afar.

That’s where my issue/question comes from; I’m a clumsy sod and wear my watches for most things, never seeing them as something to be babied or mollycoddled so would wearing this piece effectively destroy the unique time capsule nature of it? (Rhetorical, I know it would of course...)
    Last edited by tiny73; 17th June 2018 at 13:25.

If people buy a NOS watch that is many years old it is unlikely that they will wear it, it just wouldn't make sense.

If they wanted the watch to wear, why wouldn't they just get a good condition worn one instead, why would they pay the premium?

Take this Seiko Orange Ninja, I was hoping it had passed notice and was prepared to make a decent sniper bid for it but in the final 10 minutes the price shot away.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r249337328

Now is the purchaser going to take the stickers off and wear it? If he does, two thirds of his money will be gone. Why pay so much for an unworn one when he could get one in very good condition for a third of the price?

Mitch

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    To shell out the money for a NOS example of something like that, you need to have a pretty high opinion of it; to turn it from a very rare, untouched watch to simply one in excellent used condition, you need to have a pretty high opinion of yourself too. Or, perhaps, just a very low opinion of collectors who admire without wearing.
    Can’t understand these comments; how can buying a watch and wearing it equate to a low opinion of collectors or a high opinion of one’s self?..........muddled thinking in my opinion.

Whoever buys it can do what they wish with it. I class myself as a collector, I’ve bought NOS watches and had no qualms about wearing them carefully. I’d advise a potential buyer to do the same, but it does make sense to wear it carefully and if that’s not something that comes easily it’s better avoided.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 17th June 2018 at 13:38.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Can’t understand these comments
    That's because you've literally never spent a second of your life trying to see anything from any perspective other than your own. In itself, this is not blame-worthy, but your habit of ascribing your failures of comprehension to other people's "muddled thinking" rather than your own intellectual indolence is a bit rich.

Or just have the cash... want the watch ... and want to wear it.

If l wanted that watch enough to buy it then l know that l absolutely couldn't leave it in a box unworn - unless l had the exact same model in almost new condition that l could use as a whipping boy - this would, however, mean that l wouldn't want to buy the unborn one in the first place...

I was a rubbish comic collector too - couldn't leave em in plastic bags - they were made to be read - at least once!

If a things value depends on it being unused then l generally become disinterested.

Edit:- honestly, if Neil Armstrong's missing speedmaster turned up in my loft, and l was allowed to keep it, the first thing ld do would be to put it on - obviously not quite the same thing, but you get what l mean - watches are for wearing unless they're too fragile to wear.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 17th June 2018 at 15:01.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    But.
    It's survived for longer than I have with not a mark on it and because I DO wear my watches for absolutely everything I wouldn't be a very good custodian.
    With you on that one, I just couldn't help myself if I owned it!

ook

Grand Master
    That's because you've literally never spent a second of your life trying to see anything from any perspective other than your own. In itself, this is not blame-worthy, but your habit of ascribing your failures of comprehension to other people's "muddled thinking" rather than your own intellectual indolence is a bit rich.
    Despite having a pop at me here, you still haven`t explained the logic in your statement. That's the bit I can`t understand.
    You seem to be a bit of a wordsmith.....go on, try and explain it for the rest of us! It's the bit about having a low opinion of collectors and having a high opinion of oneself that doesn`t make sense to me. Logic seems flawed to say the least.

As you insulting my intelligence and being generally rude, would you behave like that in a face to face situation?

No doubt you'll make some silly Draft Thread comment in the Bear Pit and hope your Bear pit cronies join in, that's your normal style.......why not try explaining your comment instead?

If you want to continue this debate drop me a PM, don`t play to the crowd.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 17th June 2018 at 18:45.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    But.
    I’m with you here Celia. Whilst I’d love a watch like that, I’d want to wear it but wouldn’t want to wear it as it would no longer be NOS.

The question we all need to ask ourselves is are we a wearer or collector? Clearly Darren has had the same dilemma as he’s now put it up for sale.

Grand Master
    Ironically, it's the sticker on the back that would cause me most angst! I`d be happy to wear the watch carefully, if it picked up a few light marks they'd polish out and no-one would be any the wiser, it would still be a mint example, but once the sticker's removed it ceases to be NOS. Swap the caseback?........maybe that's the answer. I do think there's scope to wear it carefully and enjoy owning it without spoiling it.

Whichever way we look at it, it's a desirable watch and a one-off opportunity for someone.

Paul

Ironically, it's the sticker on the back that would cause me most angst! I`d be happy to wear the watch carefully, if it picked up a few light marks they'd polish out and no-one would be any the wiser, it would still be a mint example, but once the sticker's removed it ceases to be NOS. Swap the caseback?........maybe that's the answer. I do think there's scope to wear it carefully and enjoy owning it without spoiling it.

Whichever way we look at it, it's a desirable watch and a one-off opportunity for someone.

Paul
    Don’t agree with that at all. How can it be NOS if you just swap the case back and wear the heck out of it. Strange definition at the best of times NOS. Seems open to interpretation

Craftsman

NOS.

I have only ever considered the term of New old stock to be an excuse to add a few £££ to the asking price from a seller.

I purchase a fair amount of Artwork and have never been told by a seller that the painting was new old stock or bought a pair of shoes and paid a higher price because they had been sitting in store unworn for years, hopefully you can understand my point.

Watch club put a 14270 Explorer on site a few months ago with the NOS banner and with a nearly £8k asking price, I emailed WF and Blowers etc to find out what the buy in would be for a 14270 unworn and was given offers of £2800 to £3000. Personally I just cannot fall for the NOS, the watch will require a service, add that to the purchase price, take off the stickers etc and watch your £pounds outlay disappear in front of you.

I expect to see some footwear on SC soon described as NOS

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Don’t agree with that at all. How can it be NOS if you just swap the case back and wear the heck out of it. Strange definition at the best of times NOS. Seems open to interpretation
    I didn`t say it would still be NOS. I didn`t say wear the hell out of it either, I said wear it carefully and it can still remain in mint condition.

I suggested a sensible compromise. I also indicated how a watch can still be in mint condition despite having being worn, a few hairline scratches on the polished sections can be removed and the watch still remains mint.

I said before I would like to wear it if I had the funds to buy it but of course it would need a service with dried oils, once serviced does it lose its title of NOS??

Wearing it wisely will bring enjoyment, surely that’s what we own watches for - to enjoy them.

I didn`t say it would still be NOS. I didn`t say wear the hell out of it either, I said wear it carefully and it can still remain in mint condition.

I suggested a sensible compromise. I also indicated how a watch can still be in mint condition despite having being worn, a few hairline scratches on the polished sections can be removed and the watch still remains mint.
    Yes but using a spare case back just means it will be passed off (falsely) as NOS further down the line potentially. Just cos it has a sticker on when it’s swapped back. Anyway - seems a lot wouldn’t wear it. I just think it’s a shame for such a lovely thing not to be worn

Craftsman
    Collecting watches to not wear is a bit like collecting rare malt whiskers or fine wines - just seems pointless to me. What's the point in having a super rare whisky if you can't taste it?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app