closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex madness

Master
    Obviously certain ADs manage this situation a bit better than others but in the end money normally talks.
    I would have thought the situation is even more of a headache for ADs as they could sell these watches 10 times over if they had supply.
    Of course if they had supply the demand for a lot of these would dry up as the carpetbaggers would lose interest.

World has gone mad.
    It’s not dissimilar to getting hold a porsche GT car .. nigh on impossible unless you have history with the dealer or a spending history with the brand.

The reason for the restrictions is to try and tame the flippers market, keeping loyalty to the brand, and uplift the lower models. In reality, it just augments the flippers market..... difficult thing to sort.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Obviously certain ADs manage this situation a bit better than others but in the end money normally talks.
    I would have thought the situation is even more of a headache for ADs as they could sell these watches 10 times over if they had supply.
    Of course if they had supply the demand for a lot of these would dry up as the carpetbaggers would lose interest.
    Every AD that I've spoken to is fed up to the back teeth with Rolex Prof models and the shyte that follows them!

Master
    These constant threads just go round in circles.
    Rolex makes the watches, not the AD’s.
    Rolex decides on the number of watches the AD’s can have, not the AD’s.
    Rolex have decided to limit supply on certain models, not the AD’s.
    Rolex have also decided to let the AD’s deal with the flack that comes with currently being an AD.

For every say 30 people wanting a Daytona, Pepsi etc etc there’s 1 coming along every few months, so 29 disappointed cookies. A few months later they get another one so it’s down to 28 disappointed cookies. However another 10 people now want this watch so it’s up to 38.

All the time grey values are rising, Rolex business model is even more desirable and on here more people are being frustrated.

Play the game or walk away. Choice is simple.

And if I ran an AD, I’d sell to repeat customers who bought other things historically, would be likely to in the future and who I thought wouldn’t flip. Slate it, call it a VIP line, unfair, whatever. It’s good business sense. Oh and AD’s don’t want to be dealing with the backlash everyday.

Sums it up............. (Devonian)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Sums it up............. (Devonian)
    +1 from me, Devonian summed it up perfectly.

It is basically a simple supply chain mechanism designed to drive prices up. Rolex watches are the equal of PP from a technical point of view and yet sell for only a fraction of the price.

You cannot blame Rolex for trying to readjust the market and the simple answer is that if you don't like it, buy another brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    +1 from me, Devonian summed it up perfectly.

It is basically a simple supply chain mechanism designed to drive prices up. Rolex watches are the equal of PP from a technical point of view and yet sell for only a fraction of the price.

You cannot blame Rolex for trying to readjust the market and the simple answer is that if you don't like it, buy another brand.
    But why are they only doing it with Sports Steel Rolex models? If it was a specific Rolex supply chain mechanism they would be doing it for all its watches surely?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Rolex watches are the equal of PP from a technical point of view
    Place a 326934 next to a 5940 and try saying that again with a straight face.....

Master
    I prefer a Rolex to a Patek; they just feel more reliable and rugged. It depends what you want from a watch.

I find this whole situation and some of the comments across various threads fascinating. In my personal opinion, the ideal situation for me would be:

-3-12 month waiting list on some models
    -modest annual price rise
    -Watch to retain value in the long term
    -Grey market to offer these models at smaller premium that currently (10-15%)

The above seem the case about 2-3 years ago for some SS models, although I'm no expect as I've only just started looking. I think it works well as it protects the resell value.

I am on a waiting list for a Sub LV or BLNR, which I'm expecting/hoping to get this year (so 6-7 months wait). I am hoping to keep the watch for life and hopefully grow a collection, however I like the reassurance that there is a good chance the watch will retain or possibly grow in value, meaning that I could sell it should I be in financial difficulties or require the money for something else. I couldn't personally justify spending £6-7k on a watch at this stage in my life if it was going to tank in value.

I also feel sorry for ADs, it must be very frustrating getting literally 100s of calls a week about popular models which they are unable to sell, I'm not surprised some have closed lists - what is the point of maintaining a list of 100+ names for a watch that they get 6 of per year?

If money was no object to me, I suspect there might be other watches I'd be considering, but at the moment I'm happy to play the Rolex games to project my investment.

Master
    Choice is a fine thing but which other manufacturers guarantee timekeeping within 2 secs a day which to me is important in a watch. Excluding quartz of course.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Place a 326934 next to a 5940 and try saying that again with a straight face.....
    OK I am not a qualified watchmaker but I was seriously looking at buying a couple of PP's a few weeks ago and once they were in the hand they lost their appeal. A Rolex sports watch is the ultimate useable mechanical watch and it will take a fair bit of bashing about. The PP's did look the sort of watch that is better off protected by a shirt cuff and its natural home is an office whereas the Explorer 1655 that I am wearing now can be worn everywhere.

You cannot blame Rolex for upping the desirability by cutting back a bit on production as the signs are that the demand is still there and it's driving up prices.

It will be interesting to see how this ploy has worked in say ten years time.

Master
    I like the word 'ploy'.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Choice is a fine thing but which other manufacturers guarantee timekeeping within 2 secs a day which to me is important in a watch. Excluding quartz of course.
    My personal observations indicate my Omega AT GMT 43 Chrono is there and my Ulysee Nardin 3343 DualTime Manufacture performs marginally better.

The Omegas a tank, the UN slightly less so

Master
    I think Rolex has forced higher standards on the industry; the emphasis on strict precision has been followed by other companies, and the five-year guarantee has also had an effect. They're a force for good .

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Spending money is what's required.
    Spot on. They must love developing all these special relationships

+1 from me, Devonian summed it up perfectly. Rolex watches are the equal of PP from a technical point of view and yet sell for only a fraction of the price.
    You what?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    You what?
    you what ?

you what ?
    Mick, that was an absurd statement, seriously.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Mick, that was an absurd statement, seriously.
    No it isn't.

Rolex are tougher, more water resistant and deadly accurate. I am currently wearing a 1980 1655 and it gains about 2 secs a week and sometimes can go a month without needing any adjustment.

If you compare a like for like complication, I dare say a Datejust or a Skydweller is just as well made as a PP with similar complications.

I am not knocking PP, far from it, all I am saying is that there is too big a price difference between them and Rolex for a relatively minor difference in quality.

No it isn't.

Rolex are tougher, more water resistant and deadly accurate. I am currently wearing a 1980 1655 and it gains about 2 secs a week and sometimes can go a month without needing any adjustment.

If you compare a like for like complication, I dare say a Datejust or a Skydweller is just as well made as a PP with similar complications.

I am not knocking PP, far from it, all I am saying is that there is too big a price difference between them and Rolex for a relatively minor difference in quality.
    There’s a time to stop digging
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th June 2018 at 11:13.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    I didn’t have a ‘relationship’ with my AD. I said I wanted a Hulk, the manager sourced me one within a few months and they took my money.
    You did well. was this recently? I'm just waiting on mine now.

Mick, I think you originally said ‘Rolex watches are the equal of PP from a technical point of view’. Objectively I don’t think that can be true, as there are so many complications and refinements that Rolex don’t even attempt, that are executed brilliantly by PP and one or two others. Subjectively, your quoted statement could be true IMHO, if you are looking for a simple, pretty accurate and reliable mass produced watch. Then again you could say the same about many mid-price brands and a Rolex. Would you agree?
    Last edited by alfat33; 11th June 2018 at 16:49.

No it isn't.

Try a G- Shock, you will be astonished how cheap those attributes can be.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    And if I ran an AD, I’d sell to repeat customers who bought other things historically, would be likely to in the future and who I thought wouldn’t flip. Slate it, call it a VIP line, unfair, whatever. It’s good business sense. Oh and AD’s don’t want to be dealing with the backlash everyday.
    If you were an AD why would you care what someone did with THEIR watch after they'd bought it? And if you did care, which would be strange, then how would you know if they'd flipped it or not?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Rolex watches are the equal of PP from a technical point of view
    Really?

My old watchmaker a, Fellow of the BHI, sadly now retired, once said of Rolex movements, 'they're good, but they're nothing special'. I never asked him about PP, but I can guess what he'd have said given the complications PP make that Rolex don't, (or can't?).
    Best Regards - Peter

Two chronograph movements. One is a fantastic piece of engineering, the other is work of art.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    If you were an AD why would you care what someone did with THEIR watch after they'd bought it? And if you did care, which would be strange, then how would you know if they'd flipped it or not?
    Because I’ve read on here and other forums that AD’s have got in trouble with Rolex for flipped watches - how they knew I’ve no idea, but it’s been mentioned on here more than once.

Journeyman
    I can’t see how Rolex can get on the same price point as PP limiting supply of SS Rolex models when you have all the non SS models below PP prices. There is a price cap built in by the other models. Perhaps they can restrict the supply of all models or better still not supply any new watches! The relationship building with your AD is daft. I thought those doing the selling normally try to build the relationship with their customers. The AD and Rolex will only keep a very small number of high spending customers happy that way. For a company selling 750k plus watches a year I am not sure how smart that is long term but only time will tell. I really like a lot of their watches but now dislike the brand.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thfccambs View Post
    You did well. was this recently? I'm just waiting on mine now.
    15 months ago...walked into WOS in Glasgow and it was all very positive from the outset.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Two chronograph movements. One is a fantastic piece of engineering, the other is work of art.

Well illustrated and I fail to see any connection apart from they are both made in Switzerland. Great watches but very different in so many ways and for the right reasons. Rolex to my mind is top quality mid tier and PP is Haute Horology.

Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    I didn’t have a ‘relationship’ with my AD. I said I wanted a Hulk, the manager sourced me one within a few months and they took my money.
    He’s sitting here waiting for your call. Pretty cold to just dump him like that ;)

Rolex madness

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I think Rolex has forced higher standards on the industry; the emphasis on strict precision has been followed by other companies, and the five-year guarantee has also had an effect. They're a force for good .
    I think that Omega upped the accuracy stakes first - along with service intervals and anti-magnetic qualities. Rolex were thus left playing catchup by raising accuracy and service interval claims with what appears to be ultimately the same calibre as before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adg31; 12th June 2018 at 11:05.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    I think that Omega upped the accuracy stakes first - along with service intervals and anti-magnetic qualities. Rolex were thus left playing catchup by raising accuracy and service interval claims with what appears to be ultimately the same calibre as before.

Yep, recommended service intervals went from every 3 or so years to 10 years overnight. No design or technical changes made to the watch.

I fact, it could have been sitting in the AD window & magically got its service interval upgraded to 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    Yep, recommended service intervals went from every 3 or so years to 10 years overnight. No design or technical changes made to the watch.

I fact, it could have been sitting in the AD window & magically got its service interval upgraded to 10 years.
    Has anyone confirmed that Rolex actually upped their recommended service interval to ten years yet?

As far as I’m aware, there has only ever been the statement that the average length of time between service for their watches has been calculated to be about ten years.

I’d be happy to be proved wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Has anyone confirmed that Rolex actually upped their recommended service interval to ten years yet?

As far as I’m aware, there has only ever been the statement that the average length of time between service for their watches has been calculated to be about ten years.

I think that it has only been heavily hinted at following the increased service intervals announced by Omega.
    This looks somewhat akin to the perceived use of the Explorer in the first conquest of Everest!
    No disprovable statements - but then again in marketing inference counts for a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    I've owned a few Rolex over the years, a couple of those I bought new (about 20 years ago). Excellent watches, I liked them all.

In those days I just went into the shop (it's not a boutique or anything else like that it's a shop that sells watches - bit like Clarks sell shoes). I chatted with the polite friendly people there, tried a few watches on & decided on the Rolex I wanted, if they didn't have it (as was the case with a GMT Master I wanted) they got one in. I then bought it & that was that.

At no point did I have to enter into a "relationship" with the shop, or kiss their ar$e to get one. Or maybe buy a different less exclusive model so they'd like me & put me on a magic list so I might be good enough to one day be given the esteemed honour of paying Rolex my money to buy one of their watches, that I really did want. At the time I felt that as it was a luxury purchase & I was the guy with the money, that made me the customer & they rather needed me so would treat me accordingly.

If people wish to enter into this merry go round fair enough it's your choice & I do hope you enjoy your Rolex, I'm sure you will as they're lovely things. However in my opinion as long as people do this Rolex will continue with this crap. They're not doing you a favour by selling you a watch & I personally would find all this rather insulting & I won't be insulted when buying anything. Therefore even if I was going to buy a new Rolex I think i'd pass & find another brand that would actually treat me with some respect when I'm handing over a not insignificant amount of money.

This is however just my opinion.
    Spot on and well put !!

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Because I’ve read on here and other forums that AD’s have got in trouble with Rolex for flipped watches - how they knew I’ve no idea, but it’s been mentioned on here more than once.
    Quite right Devonian, and there is another reason - whisper it oh so quietly - and that is that some AD managers actually love their watches and especially Rolex (I know two who could tell me everything about Rolex and own several, wearing a different one each time I see them) and hate the idea of selling to someone who walked out and promptly took a short hop across town to Watchfinder. Not every AD is staffed by (as we hear tale of regularly here) bored, arrogant and uneducated spivs who care nothing for what they sell and only pass the nice stuff to their mates. Far from it, in my experience (though I too have the occasional grimace to hide while in an AD).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've read 'OXO' on the side of London busses, but they don't sell it inside them!

It sounds like one of those urban myths to me. Let's say I buy a Rolex Sub tomorrow, I then sell it to you, how on earth can Rolex know this? How can Rolex expect a dealer to guarantee they are selling a watch to someone who will not sell it on either immediately, or sometime in the future? Get the customer to sign a contract maybe? Utter nonsense, like so much of what's happening with Rolex!
    Best Regards - Peter

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

My Sub is 18 years old , it got its first service this year.

Rolex service through the AD that I’ve bought and still got 5 watches from , added to which I’ve just had my wife’s Rolex serviced through them as well.

When the new GMT was announced I rang up to order one and was told I had to turn up in the shop to express an interest, this I did by 11.00 am on the morning of the announcement.

I’ve had nothing in writing or by email from the dealer , I called in the other week and was told they couldn’t or wouldn’t tell me where I was on the list which apparently now is non existent anyway.

That’s a pretty shabby way from the retailer to treat a customer of many years standing , they no doubt will blame Rolex , either way it leaves a bitter taste .

Us poor customers have very long memories, when it’s time to buy some jewellery for the wife the first place I’ll not call into is the AD , two can play this game.

a simple supply chain mechanism designed to drive prices up.
    Jesus. I agree with mick p. Now i need to lie down or something.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

So amazing you posted it twice!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    What can you say other than there are other brands...

I remember buying a blue dial TT Submariner in Goldsmiths in 2010 and I was presented with the old dial version, the newly released Ceramic version and a SD for comparison. When I go in now they are completely unable to confirm anything, it's all controlled by head office don't you know.

Apart from the WIS sheep who must conform (and there are many on here), most serious buyers will go elsewhere.
    Same here, I remember back in early 2011 I saw A Deep sea, Sub, GMT2 in the windows at Goldsmiths all the time at several locations. Now you'll be very lucky to spot on anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I prefer a Rolex to a Patek; they just feel more reliable and rugged. It depends what you want from a watch.
    In much the same way as a BMW 3 series can be compared to a Bentley or Rolls Royce - big price jump that's not precisely relative to the increase in quality, but if you want the best - you pay for it - and it's sublime.

To argue rolex's case against so many other brands is applying exactly the same flawed logic - to many £5000 for a steel dive watch is ridiculous...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Wu View Post
    Same here, I remember back in early 2011 I saw A Deep sea, Sub, GMT2 in the windows at Goldsmiths all the time at several locations. Now you'll be very lucky to spot on anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Similar in 2014 when buying my sub:

In one AD, tried on black sub date, and gmt batman.

In another, tried on sub nd, hulk, Black gmt and sea dweller (all in the same visit)!!

Time to ponder, compare and buy at leisure. Eventually when I decided on the sub date, they didn’t have one, so ironically had to go on the list. Got “the call” in about 6 wks though. All quite acceptable and civilised.

Times have definitely changed a lot in the last few years!!