closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which Pelagos?

Which Pelagos?

I'm considering a Pelagos and would welcome thoughts as to which to go for.

An early ETA one as it'll be less expensive to buy!...and service?
    An in house blackdial
    Or a LHD version.

Cheers

Why be stuck with rip-off servicing costs if you don't have to? I don't see any benefit in having an in-house movement - does it tell time better?

Blue one with an ETA would be my preference.

I like the smiley face one
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Blue one with an ETA would be my preference.
    Shame they never made any of those!

I'd go for the early issue, less writing on the dial.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those but the early ETA model with the cleaner dial at a keen price seems to make most sense to me. Let us know what you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Shame they never made any of those!
    Ooops

Tudor movement - you get better anti-magnetic qualities (actually very useful these days), a 70hr power reserve and the cache of a true inhouse movement.

Yes individual servicing will be more for sure, but actually may work out cheaper if you don't hold the watch for more than 10 years - as buying an ETA now at a cheaper price will probably need a service immediately or very soon, whereas a brand new Pelagos will not need a service for about 5 years (or maybe more).

In house all the way, same as me with my Black Bay.

Thanks for the replies chaps

Can anyone advise how much would an ETA service be and who could do the work (other than Tudor) including pressure testing?

Master
    Went for blue personally as it added something different to my collection colour wise. Also, I love the power reserve and improved accuracy of the in house. Can’t see servicing being a lot more and hivennit may not be services for many many years don’t see it as enough of a difference to decide on a model.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I'd go for the early issue, less writing on the dial.
    Me too, I've never kept a Watch long enough to worry about the service, but I must admit I prefer the eta one with less text on the dial

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

I am very happy that I went for the original ETA when they first came out and I am sticking to it. For me the dial design is nicer (and originals are often nicer than updates), the case more symmetrical (crown protectors) and as it is discontinued, it is rarer.
    In talking to an AD the other day, he was retelling how some people sold BB Black ETAs (which were discontinued only a very few months after release) at a large premium due to their rarity. Granted, the Pelagos ETA was released a lot earlier and is much more common as a result, but inhouse Pelagos are still being made.
    The power reserve is of limited to anyone who has a collection and tends to wear a watch for a week, and then not for 4 more before returning to it.
    Anti-mag may be a bit useful, but I work with power tools a lot, speakers etc etc and have yet to magnetise a watch.
    Just look, only 2 lines of guff on the dial.........

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Went for blue personally as it added something different to my collection colour wise. Also, I love the power reserve and improved accuracy of the in house. Can’t see servicing being a lot more and hivennit may not be services for many many years don’t see it as enough of a difference to decide on a model.
    Accuracy can be 'tweaked' if you require a watch that runs for more than a weekend without wearing buy a quartz,
    An ETA movement is serviceable pretty much anywhere oh and a dial covered in text doesn't appeal to everyone, finally no one can predict what they might be worth years from but if I was a gambling man (which I'm not) I'd bet on the ETA.

n2

Quote Originally Posted by wadsy View Post
    Thanks for the replies chaps

Can anyone advise how much would an ETA service be and who could do the work (other than Tudor) including pressure testing?
    Varies according to quality of service (some of the cheapest watchmakers won't do a full strip down but just take off a few bits then dip to clean: there is a whole debate over whether this is a terrible/bad/ok when parts are not too worn thing) but you can expect to pay between 75-180.

Being a top ETA movement, I wouldn't scrimp on the servicing so you'd be looking to spend towards the top end of that price; there are excellent guys here with great feedback by forumites who could do a superb job on a Tudor watch with an ETA.

Master
    Random thinking, not based on hard facts.

Given Rolex part availability you are basing this on an assumption that none of the gaskets are a bespoke size, that a crown or tube won’t be needed or hands etc, I know not all or even most of these should be needed but worrying about future service cost when it’s every 5-7 years if worn in rotation as part of a collection seems a bit nonsensical to me.

That said, I’ve got a blue one and think it’s the best of the bunch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Accuracy can be 'tweaked' if you require a watch that runs for more than a weekend without wearing buy a quartz,
    An ETA movement is serviceable pretty much anywhere oh and a dial covered in text doesn't appeal to everyone, finally no one can predict what they might be worth years from but if I was a gambling man (which I'm not) I'd bet on the ETA.

n2
    The sub had 4 lines so what’s one more? Find it odd so many are hung up on this. Ultimately we all have different taste. Can’t see future values being excessive in these in any spec. Determine what matters to you and buy based that. They are all cracking watches.

The sub had 4 lines so what’s one more? Find it odd so many are hung up on this. Ultimately we all have different taste. Can’t see future values being excessive in these in any spec. Determine what matters to you and buy based that. They are all cracking watches.
    Yeah ok, so just a matter of preference.

Craftsman
    I bought the first version in black, the two line.

For me at least, it's the most handsome version without question.

Master
    I bought my ETA version before they were available in the UK, it still runs spot on if I remember to leave it face down overnight and is a keeper. If I was buying now would go for a new blue faced one but but having owned this one the need to buy has long passed.

Prefer my two liner due to the look of clean dial and not being tied to AD servicing.

That's a personal preference, there are no bad opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Random thinking, not based on hard facts.

Given Rolex part availability you are basing this on an assumption that none of the gaskets are a bespoke size, that a crown or tube won’t be needed or hands etc, I know not all or even most of these should be needed but worrying about future service cost when it’s every 5-7 years if worn in rotation as part of a collection seems a bit nonsensical to me.

That said, I’ve got a blue one and think it’s the best of the bunch.
    You are quite right when it comes to certain components of the case, although if you referencing my post, I was only talking about the ETA movement. While Tudor have changed certain parts (such as unique perlage) these aren't likely to need changing at service and I would imagine that any competent watchmaker could service the usual parts like mainspring with genuine top-grade ETA parts which are still easily available.

Having said all that, I'm not in any way a watchmaker so it would be good to hear from one of the experts here as to whether they would have any concerns over servicing an ETA in the older Pelagos, or better yet, if they have had experience of actually doing so?

I agree also about worrying over service cost - my view is always that when considering affordability of ownership, one needs to look beyond purchase cost and whether one can afford to care for it during the entire period of ownership. Same applies to cars - as the old adage goes, if you can't afford two supercars, you can't afford one.*

*I can't afford even one.

Master
    Also, I love the power reserve and improved accuracy of the in house.
    Ive owned both the blue, in-house and the black ETA version. The ETA was more accurate than the blue version.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post

Prefer my two liner due to the look of clean dial and not being tied to AD servicing.

That's a personal preference, there are no bad opinions!
    This actual Watch is the only Pelagos I've actually handled, in fact only one I've ever seen in the flesh thinking about it, they are an impressive Watch.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Master
    I’m a two liner owner. Some thoughts from me...

I initially craved a blue Pelagos and I still think the initial wow is much more impressive. So why didn’t I buy blue? Well I think it depends on what you want from the Watch, for me the theory (like every good wis) was I’d keep the watch forever n ever and hand it to me son. When I really thought about it I just couldn’t see blue being as long lasting and fitting to as many occasions as the black. I could just foresee a honeymoon period for the blue where you didn’t want to take it off for weeks then it easing off.

Also, as mentioned above the dial text. I know some will say it’s not a deal breaker but honestly how many people would choose 4 lines of text if Tudor had produced the in house with 2 & 4 lines of text and you could decide? I know it’s never happen but can you imagine, “right sir now it’s just how many lines of text you’d like on the dial?”

And the final reason was the ETA movement. I can easily service this Watch myself it it came to it. I have owned and serviced a few ETA’s for me and other people and they’re a pleasure to work on aside from my normal Seiko Chronograph workings. When you’re done they always give great numbers and are super reliable and accurate. They may not be COSC cert like the in house but that doesn’t matter to me.

So to sum up if you want a long term keeper - Black 2 liner ETA
    if you want a splash of colour diver in a big collection - Blue
    if you don’t like blue and are thinking you’ll flip the watch soon anyway - Black in house or ETA

I also think the ETA is a bargain too. I also think the non WIS impulse buyer in bluewater will go for in house on eBay, you know the type who go into goldsmiths and would have seen the two variants (back when they were available in the window together) they’d have been force fed the in house line and will not be considering the service anyway. They’ll be the type that keep the in house above the eta price on eBay when they go home and try and save a grand from the AD.
    Last edited by jameswrx; 7th June 2018 at 07:28.

Black ETA for me. Bought it soon after release and none of the later models changed anything that needed changing to my eye. More text, better movement (but marker at 3 was impacted) and the blue version (love blue, just not this tone of blue. Had it been dark blue like the black bay blue.....)

I have the ETA 2 liner but recently have been looking at the LHD. Don’t think I would ever sell my first one and not sure I can justify buying the LHD.

OP - I would go for the ETA version as it will be cheaper to buy, cheaper to service and if you decide to flip it, you shouldn’t lose too much.

Thanks for all the input chaps

I reckon a black eta is the way I'll go - once I've sold my PO - anyone up for a trade?

Cheers

Craftsman
    LHD for me

In house, definitely. I like the blue, too - nice matte finish. If it wasn’t so thick I’d be tempted.

Craftsman
    I find the watch very comfortable, personally.