closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wearing a watch in hot weather

Wearing a watch in hot weather

How do you guys do it? I’m in Hanoi at the moment (only took a Seiko 5) but on a bracelet it’s quite uncomfortable (it’s hot and humid) but am not sure leather would be any better.

The question I guess is what’s the best type of strap for weather like this?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post
    How do you guys do it? I’m in Hanoi at the moment (only took a Seiko 5) but on a bracelet it’s quite uncomfortable (it’s hot and humid) but am not sure leather would be any better.

Cheers

I only wear Steel, Rubber, and Leather Straps mainly and I find Steel the best in hot weather, but that UK hot and not Hanoi hot.

Why not try a Nato/Zulu?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

I've just taken a watch off the bracelet its worn the last five years and put on a Tropic and it works fine. The only downside with a rubber strap is irritation if your wrist gets wet. On other watches (and I might try it on this one too) I use NATOs.
    "A man of little significance"

A bracelet with a micro adjuster built into the clasp. I have been wearing my 126600 for the last 10 days in France with 28+ degrees and had to adjust the clasp twice which took 5 seconds to do.

I don't know why that feature is not built into all watches with clasps above a £500 price point.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Master
    Perlons work for me but then so do NATO's and rubber bracelets. I'd echo the micro adjustment clasp comment but on all steel bracelets and especially Grand Seiko!!

Natos. If I'm away I take one watch and 3 Natos, one on, one drying after being washed, one ready to go. Of course this depends on the watch, for example I wouldn't put my Datejust or Archimede Deck watch on a Nato, but I usually take a CWC quartz diver or Dreadnought Voyager so it works fine for me.
    F.T.F.A.

Normally in summer I wear watches only on bracelet. This year I bought rubber strap and it's also quite OK.

Master
    I like rubber in hot weather over my steel or titanium. Rubber doesn’t stick to the wrist in the same way the metal straps do.

NATO's are the best solution, iME.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Perlons by far the best (though I am about to try out a vintage tropic so will see how that works).

Master
    Vented Rubber like Tropic and Isofrane are a good option if they suit the intended Watch of course, just got to work wearing my Vostok/ Isofrane combo.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I'd echo the micro adjustment clasp comment but on all steel bracelets and especially Grand Seiko!!
    Absolutely - the absence of a micro-adjust option drives me demented. I tried on my Grand Seiko a few days ago after a spell of (unusually) hot weather, and it didn't fit at all comfortably on my expanded wrist.

Bracelets with micro-adjust are my go-to in hot weather, although I'm wearing my Tudor Black Bay at the moment on the OEM NATO and it's fantastic. I wouldn't wear a leather strap in hot weather.

I found titanium is better than steel. No idea why but the temperature of the bracelet seems to remain more constant and wears more comfortable. Comfiest bracelet in really hot weather for me is the Pelagos

Go perlon / braided nato

Washable, breathable and infinitely adjustable

If watch is on bracelet, then wearing it loose helps I find.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    Why bother wearing a watch use your phone

Seriously Nato or Zulu for me, i prefer a three ring Zulu.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post

Cheers

I think you answered your question without realising it - a strap.

From personal experience in a lot of hot, humid, dry, cold and every other climate, a strap wins out over a bracelet every time. My wrist expands or contracts with the weather; from almost normal if it's really hot down to flippin skinny if it's arctic. I move up or down one strap hole to compensate, which you can't do with a bracelet. As for type of strap then something with a polished leather or neoprene inner lining, to avoid sweat absorbing into it and making it a bit stinky. I haven't tried rubber or silicon straps though as I'm just not a fan of them.

If you want to be really nerdy about the whole thing, then a strap with a deployment clasp where the center of the deployment clasp sits just to the thumb side of the wrist tendons and has a profile that includes an area that protrudes slightly into the soft part of the wrist there. This makes the clasp act as an anchor point and allows a loose strap without the watch rotating around your wrist.

Hot weather in London at the moment so on the 3rd strap hole rather than normal 2nd hole:

I always wonder why more brands dove have toolless micro adjustment.
    Glidelock must be the best IMO, but Omega and even Christopher Ward offer similar functionality - I won't buy anything without out now.

Craftsman
    Has anyone come across aftermarket clasps with micro adjust?

If not, maybe a gap in the market!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Go perlon / braided nato

Washable, breathable and infinitely adjustable

If watch is on bracelet, then wearing it loose helps I find.
    I wear my SKX009 on a loose Jubilee Dave, I find it very comfy as the Bracelet seems so flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Absolutely - the absence of a micro-adjust option drives me demented. I tried on my Grand Seiko a few days ago after a spell of (unusually) hot weather, and it didn't fit at all comfortably on my expanded wrist.
    I'm finding this with the older style oyster bracelet, last year I wore a 14060 on a Cousins Rubber strap and it was fine. This year it's on a bracelet and it's either just right, or too tight. Oddly though the Speedmaster bracelet was never an issue, it must have been sized a touch larger, but if I size the Oyster one size up it's too loose most of the time. Glidelock could be the answer though, as I prefer the oyster look.

Nato straps for me in hot weather, wouldn't feel comfortable in anything else.

Generally nato... or rubber but Rubber straps can make my wrist wet.

I have a few perlons on order and am looking forward to trying these out, late to the party but I have high hopes based on the feedback I have seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Breitling deployant with micro-adjust on rubber is perfect for me.

Sent from my Lenovo A1010a20 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I don't have too much trouble with wrist size fluctuation so generally stick to bracelets.

Master
    consider a micro adjust clasp. Strapcode do a range of straps with ratchet extensions.

https://www.strapcode.com/store/adva...ywords=ratchet

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    This year it's on a bracelet and it's either just right, or too tight. Oddly though the Speedmaster bracelet was never an issue, it must have been sized a touch larger, but if I size the Oyster one size up it's too loose most of the time. Glidelock could be the answer though, as I prefer the oyster look.
    Since I swapped out my Speedmaster bracelet for a racing leather strap, I'm enjoying it a lot more - the micro-adjust thing was a pain. But I'll probably pick-up the adjustable clasp & links at some point, and that'll make it a near unbeatable package on bracelet.

Glidelock is really superb - makes it hard to go back to a bracelet without it. I think I'm quite susceptible to weight fluctuation & temperature variations though, and I dislike a watch that's too loose on wrist.

Perlons, NATOs and rubber. The Isofrane's straps are great in humid weather because of the vented ladder design. Looks good on the Vostok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    Titanium or nato/zulu straps for me, I wish Seiko would ever hurry up and improve their Marinemaster micro adjust clasp.

Perlon a quality one from the Dutch manufacturer beginning with the letter h.

Craftsman
    The Sinn silicone rubber with large clasp works for me... over 10 years straight of wearing the one watch in all environments and travel to hot deserts and tropical rainforests. Super comfortable with no need to adjust.

NATO’s for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Has to be a NATO strap for me

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I find nato rubber and leather annoying in heat. Loosened steel bracelet works best for me.

Enjoying some cheapo Perlons at present, they also dry out quicker than regular nato's.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I find nato rubber and leather annoying in heat. Loosened steel bracelet works best for me.
    Loose Steel for me too.

Another vote for NATO

Craftsman
    NATO or Isofrane for my PO.
    Metal bracelets or leather are out

Quote Originally Posted by firefoxed View Post
    Titanium or nato/zulu straps for me, I wish Seiko would ever hurry up and improve their Marinemaster micro adjust clasp.
    What would you improve about the Seiko marinemaster clasp? Genuinely intrested as I think it's the best adjustable clasp out there in terms of function. I know it looks crap...
    I have the omega, Tudor Pelagos and strap code adjustable clasps but I honestly think Seikos works perfectly.

To answer the question it has to be a NATO for me in hot weather. Failing that adjustable clasp on a metal bracelet. Not a fan of leather in any weather.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 5th June 2018 at 19:35.

Timefactors Braided NATO Strap...link...or, if colour is necessary, a Perlon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    What would you improve about the Seiko marinemaster clasp? Genuinely intrested as I think it's the best adjustable clasp out there in terms of function. I know it looks crap...
    I have the omega, Tudor Pelagos and strap code adjustable clasps but I honestly think Seikos works perfectly.

I have one fitted to my Shogun and while it's functional I find it a little crude and bulky. I would just prefer a lower profile more refined version, something like the Pelagos that has the integrated spring in the clasp.

Master
    In hot weather, airflow is the name of the game so, whatever the strap, wear it loose.

I prefer titanium or rubber. Metal is OK but leather a disaster.

Lighter watches also work better.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    In hot weather, airflow is the name of the game so, whatever the strap, wear it loose.
    If you want to wear a leather strap but still want airflow then try the Hirsch Performance range. My go-to straps when it get's hot.

Quote Originally Posted by firefoxed View Post
    I have one fitted to my Shogun and while it's functional I find it a little crude and bulky. I would just prefer a lower profile more refined version, something like the Pelagos that has the integrated spring in the clasp.
    It is quite bulky and is unrefined I totally agree but I find it much easier to adjust on the fly than any of the others. It's the only one you can adjust with out taking the watch off.
    I think the Pelagos clasp is a great peice of engineering but impossible to adjust whilst wearing it, the spring loaded section does negate this issue somewhat if you wear the bracelet short enough not to use the three inset settings. Having said that my Pelagos is currently sitting on an Erica Original strap - infinitely adjustable and elastic so it expands and contracts with my wrist. It makes the watch super light as well.

Watches with bracelets when it’s hot, preferably titanium and slightly looser than normal.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Timefactors Braided NATO Strap...link...or, if colour is necessary, a Perlon.
    I've just had a look on the Timefactors site and have seen a Nato I would like to try, it's one of their Deluxe Straps black with grey edging.

Thing is I'm away on holiday and setting off this Saturday morning, wonder if I would receive one by Friday if I called them in the morning?

Have you dealt with them enough to give me an idea on delivery times?

Matt

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Loose steel bracelet works the best for me. Or rubber especially if I am on beach where sand is not good for steel bracelets

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Just come back from Spain and took my 2254 with a variety of NATOs perlon and a rubber option. Was pleasantly surprised it never left the bracelet. I’ve got the adjustable clasp on it. Perfect

Steel is fine providing it's not worn to tight.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    The Velcro strap on my PAM 24 is minutely adjustable and very comfortable. Outside of that I would opt for a NATO in warmer and humid weather.

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Just come back from Spain and took my 2254 with a variety of NATOs perlon and a rubber option. Was pleasantly surprised it never left the bracelet. I’ve got the adjustable clasp on it. Perfect

Sorry to hijack this but I have been trying to find a definitive answer to what I would need to fit the adjustable clasp to my 2254 but seem to find conflicting advice. Would you be able to confirm what is needed for this conversion?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk