closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MM300 & 2254 - HEV makes a difference!

MM300 & 2254 - HEV makes a difference!

This is not a comparison of which watch is better, it's more of a design difference that 2 great watch companies have taken to hit the 300m mark.

Today I was deciding on what watch to wear, it was either the MM300 or the 2254, both on rubber and both look great on these sunny summer days. It was then that I noticed the clear big difference in the thickness when comparing them side by side, the MM300 is a handsome beast and feels so over engineered with a deep mesmerising dial, whereas the 2254 is a beautifully watch design, so light and detailed.

When you hold them together one feels like a 100m watch and the other like a 1000m watch, its hard to believe they are the same WR. Of course Omega use the HEV (helium escape valve) to get to this depth while the MM300 uses the solid case design.

I might do a more detailed review one day with better photos but thought it was interesting how both Omega and Seiko get to 300 meters.

Master
    Very contrasting and both design classics IMO. I'd gleefully wear either.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

No HEC

Nice comparison. It's interesting how design has tackled water resistance at depth - E.g. Vostok.

Here's a diver that IWC made capable up to 2000m. No HEV, comparatively slim case and in Ti.

Last edited by quietly; 3rd June 2018 at 19:40.

The HEV does not help with water resistance. If anything it’s another weak point for ingress. Deep divers use helium as part of the mix they breathe. This has very small molecules that enter a watch and expand on decompression potentially popping off the crystal if there’s no exit point. Only no decompression divers(working in diving bells) need this feature as far as I understand.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the comparison pictures. These two are on the shortlist for my next purchase and I think the seiko looks a class above.

This topic made me want to know why so many watches have Hevs, turns out it’s probably just fashion/trend, unless you are living or working in a deep pressurised environment, just not as we conventially think.
    https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...-need-one.html

In terms of watch design and case thickness, depth rating seems to be a secondary consideration to actual functionality.

A rolex seadweller, for instance, stands toe to toe with a massively larger omega ploprof in terms of actual performance, while a rolex deep sea saunters in, still manages to be a little smaller and absolutely trounces the ploprof - shames it almost.

As above, the HEV makes no difference to WR, and the MM300 case design is certainly capable of 1000m WR, the Anko Tactico was 1000m and identical dimensions.
    I just think as a professional tool, the MM has been design incredibly conservatively, and the 2254 has been designed more with the executive in mind.

Dave

I've had both of those watches and I've only kept one. One means business and the other one is a pretty boy.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that the Seiko looks so much better than the Omega...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by simonsays View Post
    The HEV does not help with water resistance. If anything it’s another weak point for ingress. Only no decompression divers(working in diving bells) need this feature as far as I understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    why so many watches have Hevs, turns out it’s probably just fashion/trend, unless you are living or working in a deep pressurised environment, just not as we conventially think.
    Even then you don't need an HEV. You can unscrew the crown (you are in a diving bell, not under water remember...) which would let helium escape. All watches have this feature. The automatic HEV means if you forget to do this, the crystal isn't in any danger of popping off. Omega's "solution" to add another hole in the case, with a manually-operated valve, rather signals its own redundancy and appeal to non-divers. Seiko of course, engineer their serious dive watches such that helium cannot get in in the first place.