closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Blow Your Money?

How to Blow Your Money?

Hi all. Very much a first world problem, but through selling my Tag Heuer and saving up a bit, I'm not far off the target I'd set to get a probable lifelong, high quality every day watch that I could pass on to my son in years to come. Will have a budget of more or less two grand, and the watch I'd earmarked was the Tudor Heritage Ranger (after much deliberation!).

The problem with this interest is, the more time you spend looking at watches you like, the more watches you find that you really want!! I guess it could boil down to having quality vs quantity. But of course if you're clever (or well off!) you can have both.

So I'm deliberating over spending my £2k on a Ranger:

Or, for the same money, I can get four watches that I really like; the Sinn 556a (next best thing to the Ranger) plus a Steinhart OVM, Hamilton Khaki King Quartz and an SKX009.

I'm not asking for anyone to tell me what to do! (opinions welcome tho of course), but more - does anyone else have this ongoing dilemma of "yep, I'm getting that. Oooh no wait, for the same money I could get that AND that. Oh but what about this...."

I think if I'd just had the money immediately in my hand I'd have spent it on the Ranger and been perfectly happy. But because the saving up process takes time, that time allows your eyes to wander and your brain to confuse you with endless other permutations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I used to do this, but learnt my lesson. If I were you i'd always crave the top tier model on the list and wish I'd gone for it - the other 4 watches are just distractions from the ultimate goal :)

Lovely watch, the Ranger - I say wait.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You have one wrist. Put the best you can on it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    That’s the most succinct advice anyone can give a potential watch enthusiast. Keep your wallet in your pocket until you can buy the watch you truly want.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    That’s the most succinct advice anyone can give a potential watch enthusiast. Keep your wallet in your pocket until you can buy the watch you truly want.
    Most watch enthusiasts don't want one watch though... . And even if they do, they can't stick to it.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Wait for the ranger
    They come up in sales corner now and then

Save a little more and buy an Explorer II (16570).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Said the one armed man :p

Buy what you really want.
    Doesn't matter whether it is £200, £500, £5000 or more.
    If you have your imagination caught by something, go for that.
    Anything else just won't satisfy the want.

I have bought watches that have given me equally as much pleasure in ownership to ones that have literally cost 5 times as much.

It is about getting it right, not filling a budget.

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Most watch enthusiasts don't want one watch though... . And even if they do, they can't stick to it.
    I’ve finally accepted that I’m not a collector/hoarder. I’d rather have just two or three that will get worn instead of a whole bunch of watches that are just taking up space and rarely get worn. I suspect that I’d feel differently had I been more interested in watches when I was much younger. But these days there are precious few bargains to be had and my pockets aren’t deep enough to buy the watches that would interest me.

Personally I like simplicity and sometimes having fewer options isn’t such a bad thing.

Craftsman
    echoing previous replies, get the one you really want, otherwise you will still want it!!

You might find yourself wanting more in the future, but you will be able to fend off the itch for longer😀

In the meantime, you will have something you really treasure, rather than feeling half hearted about.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I’ve finally accepted that I’m not a collector/hoarder. I’d rather have just two or three that will get worn instead of a whole bunch of watches that are just taking up space and rarely get worn. .
    I can but dream.....

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Save a little more and buy an Explorer II (16570).
    It's not really a little more. It'll be double the budget of £2000.

Master
    It’s a totally personal thing so mentioning our experience may not have a bearing?

I see others just saying “get the best & don’t waste it on loads of lesser ones” but it depends what you like to do. For me I could sell all my watches and have a holy grail vintage Sub but I actually get a lot of enjoyment from fiddling about with all my watches, chosing which to wear etc.

It takes up a lot of my time (which I enjoy) buying straps, working on them, wearing and changing watches and I can’t imagine just having one Watch now. I think I’d feel a bit lost without that interaction, well maybe not lost but it’d be odd not having lots to do. But then I serviced and repair mine too.

I actually bought a Pelagos last week which was always a mini grail for me and I haven’t even worn it. I will do but suddenly getting this very expensive watch (for me that is) didn’t make me want to just ditch all my watches. I get pleasure from my old Seiko’s and restoring them and wearing my birth year one etc. That experience has made me question even more if I’d be happy to have only a 5513.

But the next man will think I’m mad, couldn’t be bothered with any of that and only want one Watch. Depends what you’re like really.

All true words depending how you look at life.

Watches are like women, it’s always best to try a few lower budget options out before going for the life keeper and once you have more than one then it’s gets complicated and expensive! Or so I’m led to believe..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

Watches are like women, it’s always best to try a few lower budget options out before going for the life keeper and once you have more than one then it’s gets complicated and expensive! Or so I’m led to believe..

😀😀 nice analogy!

I’ve got a few expensive ones and a few cheaper ones on the go at the moment...

I can see it’s going to get tricky and expensive when I need to start servicing them all at the same time!!!

Haha, excellent analogy and something I can empathise with!!

Why can I only hear this in Swiss Toni's voice?
    J

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I'd say wait out for the Tudor also...

But I often think the Tudor Ranger would just make me want an Explorer ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardine32 View Post
    Why can I only hear this in Swiss Toni's voice?
    J

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
    Got me thinking now, what watch did Swiss tony wear.

Something large and gold I imagine?

I agree go with the Tudor, I have a few watches but really I always come back to my favorite and the others only stay on the wrist a day at most.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I'd say wait out for the Tudor also...

But I often think the Tudor Ranger would just make me want an Explorer ?
    That’s the trouble, it never ends.

Some people can only dream of owning a Seiko yet those of us fortunate enough to own one will know we dream of owning a Tudor then Rolex, then AP, Patek etc etc. You’ll always feel like you’re missing out if that is your mentality.

It’s a bit like the discussion I was having with a mate the other day, he wants a car and has around £30k cash. When we were younger that’d mean the world was our oyster, now you just wish you had £50k and if you had £50k you’d be seeing things just out of reach and it goes on.

Wait for a Ranger at £1k-£1500. Maybe even less if lucky or not 100% complete.

I've had lots of explorers over the years, but really do prefer the Ranger and its painted dial. It's just amazing value as a used watch, and one of the easiest watches to read that I've ever owned.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
     nice analogy!

I’ve got a few expensive ones and a few cheaper ones on the go at the moment...

I can see it’s going to get tricky and expensive when I need to start servicing them all at the same time!!!
    Women or watches?

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    The problem with this interest is, the more time you spend looking at watches you like, the more watches you find that you really want!!
    Amateur! After a while you'll struggle to find one that doesn't make you yawn. I live in hope...

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Said the one armed man :p
    Reminds me of Diego Maradonna, always wears one on each wrist, I think he is still alive anyway....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Women or watches?
    😀😀😀 can’t afford multiple women spending so much cash on watches!!

Nice one on sc now...

Master
    Nice one on sc now...
    Was just going to post this.

For that money you could buy that and the Steinhart and Seiko!

Two grand, id be getting a used mm300 and one or two others.

Craftsman
    Go for the Tudor these a nice one on SC price £1295. Less is more.

Master
    £2k will also get you into a Tudor heritage chrono or Pelagos.

Craftsman
    I say go for the Tudor. If you’ve been able to save up for it, let the dust settle for a while after you’ve bought it and then start saving again for some of the cheaper watches in your list.

I'd take the Sinn over the Ranger. But in your shoes, given that two of the watches you like are divers I'd wait for the Black Bay 58.
    Last edited by chrisparker; 3rd June 2018 at 22:15.

Ranger all day long

Swiss Tony was right

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Sorry but my advice would be to save a bit more and go for an Omega Seamaster 300m. Nothing like your list I know so I'll probably get a roasting but I think it's a better bet. Especially if you're handing it on. Tudor are fine but outside the wis community don't have the brand awareness of Rolex and Omega. As the Rolex are looking too pricey maybe the Seamaster would be an alternative. Just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    . Tudor are fine but outside the wis community don't have the brand awareness of Rolex and Omega. .
    Eh?

Blog Entries
    Eh?
    Just the way I see it, most people I know (outside the obsession!) have heard of Rolex and Omega but not many have heard of Tudor. No offence meant. :-)

I think maybe the remark was more a question whether brand awareness should be a deciding factor.
    for me it is, but in reverse. The more obvious the choice the less likely i am to take it
    Dave

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I think maybe the remark was more a question whether brand awareness should be a deciding factor.
    for me it is, but in reverse. The more obvious the choice the less likely i am to take it
    Dave
    Agree wholeheartedly. The herd can do what they want; I'd take the Ranger. It's a watch I'd be proud to have in my collection

black bays are selling like hot cakes. its like the ford focus of the luxury watch market.

the punters are going gaga for them.

Buying a spread of lower priced watches may not quench a curiosity to own a luxury product, if only the once.
    Several lower priced purchases considered together may not deliver that memorable experience of treating or rewarding oneself the way you always promised you would one day.
    That's not to argue that the one watch makes more sense. It may prove to be too nice, hardly get worn and eventually leave you cold. One of the lesser watches may suit your everyday needs better and you may grow to really appreciate its unfailing service.

My most costly watch 'never' gets worn, but I like owning it because it feels like an on going indulgence which has extinguished any temptation to even window shop at anything fancy. With the luxury purchase(s) out of the way, trying out Gshocks and the like is far less serious.

Sorry but my advice would be to save a bit more and go for an Omega Seamaster 300m. Nothing like your list I know so I'll probably get a roasting but I think it's a better bet. Especially if you're handing it on. Tudor are fine but outside the wis community don't have the brand awareness of Rolex and Omega. As the Rolex are looking too pricey maybe the Seamaster would be an alternative. Just an idea.
    Thanks. I've actually earmarked a seamaster for my 40th in a couple of years time, but at the current time both that and any Rolex are above the budget I've mapped out. Personally I'm not bothered about brand awareness; I've recently moved a Tag on which is very well known, mostly because it's been down the pecking order behind a couple of Seiko JDM's which the untrained eye could assume had come from Argos!

Having said that, I think Tudor are becoming an increasingly recognisable brand in the UK with their marketing strategy and the rise of the Black Bay.

Two grand, id be getting a used mm300 and one or two others.
    A used mm300 or a Tudor Ranger ?? Two totally and completely different watches ? The only thing in common is they tell the time.

Anyway gents thanks for the advice and thanks to those that gave the heads up on the Ranger on SC. Following a pleasant exchange with the seller I pulled the trigger and am expecting delivery later this week, can't wait.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Following a pleasant exchange with the seller I pulled the trigger and am expecting delivery later this week, can't wait.

Excellent -- we shall await a report (with pics) with bated breath

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    Got me thinking now, what watch did Swiss tony wear.

Something large and gold I imagine?
    Had to look that up. Could only find one semi decent picture of the bracelet and of course, it looks like a two tone jubilee.

I was thinking the very same thing, if the idea of handing it one is a high priority then why waste money on a short term crave. My Daniel Craig Seamaster 2220.80.00 cost less than £2K and the quality is totally tangible.
    The ranger is on my current list of interest, but they are available for around £1.5K with papers.

Good luck with your eventual purchase, but i would stay stick to your guns and buy something you would be happy to pass on. Then buy the others later, although i think many will drop of your list once you feel the quality difference. My SKX007 is a world away from some of my other pieces. I know it was a tenth of the price, but once you have experienced the quality of Omega, Rolex or Breightling you really see where the money goes.

Tudor quality is similar to Omega.

That said, I'd possibly buy the Omega first out of the two - if it was an either or decision.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    Interested to see what you went for