closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thoughts on an incoming: Seiko ‘Explorer’ vs Rolex Explorer

Thoughts on an incoming: Seiko ‘Explorer’ vs Rolex Explorer

“Through others we become ourselves.”
    ― Lev S. Vygotsky

Alpha to Zeno, via Smiths, Dagaz, Tiger, Rolex and a host of others. There is almost an alternate phonetic language of brands banging out explorer type watches.

I own a Rolex Explorer 214270, and cannot quite explain to myself, let alone to you, why I was drawn to a cheap watch in the same style. The closest answer that I can find is that I enjoy wearing my Explorer very much, but it sits in a specific hinterland where it will get swapped out for something dressier when I need to be dressed, and something lumpier when I need to hit things with a hammer. While a sports watch will never do dress duty, I felt that an explorer style watch might replace the G-Shocks for beater duty, lending a bit more unity to the collection.

And then there is also the uneasy sense - you must have felt it too - that sports Rolexes have somehow morphed from morlock to eloi. The Explorer is, after all, supposedly the ür- tool watch; why then do I favour a G-Shock for rougher activities? If a tool watch is too pricey, too good for that sort of thing, then is it really a tool watch at all? Does its price point undermine its fitness for purpose, and - if so - does a cheap-ass homage beat the Explorer at its own game?

Enter the Seiko SNKM53K1.

The little seiko is ~38mm, and for the purposes of homage modding, the stainless steel case has a crown usefully at 3 o’clock, and no guards. It uses the evergreen seiko 7S26 caliber, which is a self-winding mechanical movement without hacking or manual winding, a 43 hour power reserve and 21,600 bph. All of which is to say: it’s cheap, cheerful, rugged, and there’s little to go wrong. In truth the power reserve seems to go a bit further, while accuracy is within 10secs/day.

To this was added an aftermarket dial, handset, high-domed top hat crystal and oyster-type bracelet. What we’re left with isn’t a true replica, but certainly captures the Explorer vibe.

What’s interesting about this watch is how it stacks up against the Rolex. Putting it on the wrist for the first time, the overwhelming sense is just how close the Seiko gets. Like a weaponised version Pareto principle, it feels like this is just a hugely impressive bit of kit, for maybe 3 or 4% of the Rolex price. It looks good, it feels good, it keeps time. Most importantly, it works as a tool watch, insofar as you never feel that you need to take it off before you go to do something. When it arrived, I wore this watch for about a week straight without even considering the Explorer that was sitting on my shelf.

But here’s where our soviet psychologist Lev comes in. After a week of the Seiko, I have to say that I thought the Rolex was fairly redundant. I hadn’t noticed a particular downtick in quality switching to the SNKM53, and certainly I enjoyed the fit-and-forget nature of the thing. However, what I hadn’t really expected was the very real uptick in quality that I did immediately notice when going back to the Explorer. Oh, nothing and everything... it was all in the tiny details. The quality and operation of the bracelet, the steadfastness of the watch on the wrist, the feel of the crown.

Unfortunately this story doesn’t really have a coherent narrative conclusion in the manner of those click bait reviews that pit watches of different price points head-to-head.

The Seiko is a supremely good auto for little money, and I find the mods pleasing. I was able to go to it from the Explorer and thoroughly enjoy the whole thing.

The Rolex is supremely good, full stop. Through others we become ourselves, and through the cheap-ass homage I have a greater sense of the nuance and quality of the Explorer.

Which is the truer tool watch? Like so much in life, it’s complicated.... Keen to hear your thoughts.

Last edited by JGJG; 2nd June 2018 at 13:52.

I think it looks fab and what's been achieved, very good.
    A non too expensive tooler. job done.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I think it looks fab and what's been achieved, very good.
    A non too expensive tooler. job done.
    Thanks. Yep, the dial, hands and crystal were done before I bought it (on here), though it had been inattentively executed with dust and fibres on the dial. I stripped the thing, cleaned it up, polished the plexi (which was a right state) and added the oyster type bracelet (which need a couple of hours of work on the end links).

Journeyman
    Well executed, mate! The Seiko looks the part and you can wear it without babying it.

Master
    It’s an interesting premise in this instance the small crown would be the deal breaker for me, otherwise it’s a well thought out alternative.

Life's too short. What's the point of having an Explorer and not wearing it?
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Life's too short. What's the point of having an Explorer and not wearing it?
    I agree; I wear it all the time but was trying to make the point that a watch costing close to £5k will have a few limitations in its deployment.

For example, I have spent the last two hours working at height placing fittings into very rough masonry - that’s not something I wanted to wear the Rolex for.

Its unsuitability in that scenario (for me, ymmv) comes down to a replacement cost consideration, rather than any defect inherent in the watch - hence there are some setting where a cheap tool watch could arguably be the better tool watch.

- - - Updated - - -

(Though maybe not - in the example above this morning, I didn’t wear the modded Seiko either...)

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I agree; I wear it all the time but was trying to make the point that a watch costing close to £5k will have a few limitations in its deployment.

For example, I have spent the last two hours working at height placing fittings into very rough masonry - that’s not something I wanted to wear the Rolex for.

Its unsuitability in that scenario (for me, ymmv) comes down to a replacement cost consideration, rather than any defect inherent in the watch - hence there are some setting where a cheap tool watch could arguably be the better tool watch.

- - - Updated - - -

(Though maybe not - in the example above this morning, I didn’t wear the modded Seiko either...)
    Yes I agree with you that it's a issue, well unless you are a multimillionaire and dropping money on a Explorer for you is like dropping money on a G-Shock for us. I think you did a great job with the Seiko, though I would probably have stuck with the G-Shock + Rolex Explorer combo myself as I really don't care how my watch looks if I am smashing up stuff :-)