closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 3 watches you could never part with

3 watches you could never part with

Lots of watches get flipped but these 3 I could never part with.

I do have my late father's watch but that stays without question!!

What watches you have purchased could you not part with?

My 1952 issue IWC mark xi is a watch I searched for long and hard and this belonged to a friend's dad who served in the RAF love it especially the history.

A,1984 maxi dial 5513 the year I left school this watch hardly ever comes off my wrist.

Lastly my dress watch a loverly iwc cal 8531 ( the same movement as the ingenieur 666) it's just perfection my poormans ingenieur in fact I did own a 666 but chose too keep this.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    As nice as I'd expect from you Baden. Makes a great 3 watch collection if you've a bracelet for the 5513 and happy to wear it as a beater. Maybe a 4th watch is needed!

I don't think I have a watch I can say I wouldn't sell as none have great sentimental value and my rates are still changing a little...

Very nice!

Three of mine:

My 1960s Transitional Heuer Autavia. My first vintage watch from when I had even less of a clue about watches than I do now. Bought from eBay Argentina in 2008, it's survived every purge and a couple of other manual Autavias were sold when I foolishly decided I shouldn't have two similar watches. I spent a while languishing in a safe when the mainspring went very soon after an expensive service in Germany. I almost broke it for parts at one point because I thought it was a bitsa but then one or two (I think there are 15 known so far) started appearing on onthedash.com and I realised I'd fluked my way into something rather nice. A service by Rich Askham and replacement of the four chrono hands later (they weren't original and these ones are much closer to being correct) and it's worn in rotation now. I love the patina. Lots of these watches seem to have gone to the Argentinian air force and I wonder if all these trannies ended up there. It wears its 50 years rather well.

Another Autavia. A few years ago I sold two watches (Siffert Autavia and GMT2C) to raise funds for my car restoration. The Siffert was a really dodgy looking ad on eBay from a really dodgy sounding seller who it transpired was just an idiot. Cost me £400 with bracelet, in completely original condition. I'd bought the GMT2C new. I didn't want to sell either but had to, so when this Autavia turned up for 900 euros, bank transfer only, from German eBay I took a punt. The photos were so bad I didn't even realise it came with its correct bracelet. I had the watch sorted out and decided I'd not be selling this one.

Explorer 2. Bought this for my 40th and it's going to be my son's watch. That is if it lasts that long, it's already been back to Rolex to sort a droopy hour hand, followed by a return trip to Rolex to remove the oily fingerprint in the middle of the dial, sorted by them with a new dial. At least this one's black, the original was very dark brown. Needless to say if I were buying it now I'd buy a Grand Seiko instead. Still, it is what it is and I do like it a lot.

"A man of little significance"

Master
    I don't have any that I'd never part with but I had an SBDX001 (the original MM300), that I sold to buy a Panerai once. Regretted it almost immediately. I now have an SBDX017 (the most recent MM300) and I can't really see me selling it with the possible exception of for either an SBDX012 or whatever replaces the SBDX017; though probably not because I'd guess it will have a Prospex X on the dial.

Love your 5513 by the way. I had a colleague who bought one new in 1982 for about £400. He wore it everyday until it stopped working in about 2012. He asked about it being fixed and was quoted a number more than what it cost him new. Not being a watch guy he almost threw the watch away. It was only because I'd admired it a few times and was surprised that he was no longer wearing it that he told me what he planned doing with it. I told him he might want to check the used values. A couple of years later, his son rowed the Atlantic so he had it properly serviced by Rolex and gave it to him as a present at the finish. His son's not a watch guy either!

Never say never, but...

This one will never go, because it's not really worth much (even though it's gold) and because it was a 21st birthday present from my parents.

The Sinn Arktis 203 is probably my absolute favourite watch of those I own.

As things stand, I can't see me parting with it.

Finally, the watch that spurred my serious interest in watches, my Breitling Cosmonaute.

It's appreciated in value since I bought it and I would, grudgingly, part with it if I needed the money badly, but it was and still is my 'grail', so is never likely to be sold unless things get really hard.

M

Very nice trio baden. Very nice.
    Very, very nice.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

That sub is beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Zenith Rainbow Elite 670 – 1998
    39mm; 9mm thick
    02.0473.670 - SS with white dial & black bezel

This was an engagement gift from my wife; worn every day for 18 years until I started acquiring more watches when this was away for a long service ....

Omega Seamaster - 1965

Inherited from my Grandad; gets worn over Christmas as we get together as a family and he was always good entertainment at Christmas. Brought back to this condition by Paul Walker.

Rolex Explorer – 2002

Bought for me by my wife as a 15th Anniversary gift ... now promised to my favourite nephew on death ...

Master
    Just love that Mark XI.

I think I have two watches I could never part with - my Mark XII and my 16750. Actually for sentimental reasons I'd have trouble parting with my early '90s Seiko automatic, even though I almost never wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    As nice as I'd expect from you Baden. Makes a great 3 watch collection if you've a bracelet for the 5513 and happy to wear it as a beater. Maybe a 4th watch is needed!

I don't think I have a watch I can say I wouldn't sell as none have great sentimental value and my rates are still changing a little...
    I do have the bracelet Dave and I rotate it regular I just like the NATO in the summer.

I love your watches guys maybe I've flipped and regretted it that's why I won't let them go.
    15 years ago I sold a 1966 5513 on rivet bracelet to buy a panerai base I sold 6 months later then spent the next 13 years trying to buy another 5513!!! lesson learnt I'd say.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

A part from my 1978 Seamaster (my 18th Birthday present) all other watches can be purchased for the right money.

The only two I would really want to hang on are my 1938 Hanhart Mono, believed to be the earliest known example in the world, and irreplaceable, and my 1953/54 Blancpain FF simply because to replace it would set me back over over £35k.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Firstly, this little silver watch from 1922, a wonderfully inappropriate Christmas present for a thirsty undergraduate. After many years packed away, back to being worn about once a week

Second my Nivrel, bought five years ago, and worn more days than not. Because of sentiments attached to it, though one day it might get replaced as my daily wearer, it'll never be sold

Thirdly this battered Seiko manual from 1971. Theoretically there is a sum that could part its beautiful grey dial from me, but in reality, no one would ever offer it. It was £24 from eBay.

Master
    My Dads old Seiko.

As much as i have favourites, there's nothing else i couldnt let go if i had to.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    My Dads old Seiko.

As much as i have favourites, there's nothing else i couldnt let go if i had to.
    Seconded. If there were a genuine back story to a watch giving it emotional value then, perhaps. Otherwise they're just pieces of (often laughably overpriced) jewellery - always best not to lose sight of that.

I have 10 that I would be very unhappy to part with. Must try harder!

Blog Entries
    These are the keepers for me...

Although they vary in value - each is associated with a significant event for me.

z

Craftsman
    JLC Reverso Classique - Special birthday present from my wife
    Rolex Explorer - worn the first time I held my boy
    JLC Ultrathin - because it is an JLC Ultrathin

All of these have special memories and will not go on the chopping block!
    Last edited by Kiloman; 31st May 2018 at 22:59. Reason: read thread title!!

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    A part from my 1978 Seamaster (my 18th Birthday present) all other watches can be purchased for the right money.

The only two I would really want to hang on are my 1938 Hanhart Mono, believed to be the earliest known example in the world, and irreplaceable, and my 1953/54 Blancpain FF simply because to replace it would set me back over over £35k.
    Any chance of a photo of the Hanhart?

Okay, the first two are easier than the third, but...

1981 Rolex 5513 (Mk IV maxi dial, Mk III fat font insert)

2011 Glashutte Original Senator Perpetual Calendar

2001 Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Okay, the first two are easier than the third, but...
    I was expecting third place to go to the 5167.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    I was expecting third place to go to the 5167.
    It could well have been, but I thought I'd better keep a chrono

Craftsman
    Ah covering the bases

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

3 watches you could never part with

My sub which is my wedding watch

And a Tag Heuer quartz diver a 18th bday gift from my parents

Last edited by ac11111; 31st May 2018 at 20:27.

Craftsman
    Patek 5167- my first Patek and the one which made me sell my attire collection and start again. Slim, light and easy to wear. Works well dressed up and with casual attire. The depth of the dial is amazing and needs to be seen in person to appreciate but I think the photo below does a decent job:

Patek 5712- I found the complications and odd mix and I initially didn't like the dial layout but the moon-phase on the blue dial caught my attention and then suddenly it all clicked. It's now my favourite watch.

Rolex 14060m- My latest watch. I bought this to replace my 14060 which I sold 5 years ago. An easy wear and it can go anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    Image1527802712.836003.jpg

This one for me

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Difficult, as I love all my watches and have never yet sold one.
    But, I think my ultimate keepers would be:

The very beautiful indeed GO Panoreserve

The almost equally beautiful Zenith Elite Captain Moon Phase

and, probably
    AP Huitième chronograph

. . . . . . but . . . . . .

it could be challenged by the Dornblüth 99.1

Craftsman

These three for me.

It's not so much the Omega specifically but something like it. Grab and go, versatile and not too flashy. A type of watch I would struggle to be without.

The Zenith because I wanted one for ages and think it's bloody marvellous.

And the 806 because it's the one watch my wife has made me promise not to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk