closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Removals/man and a van prices

Master

Removals/man and a van prices

Hey, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this kind of thing.

My partner will be moving from London to Bristol before long, and will be bringing her belongings. I'm not sure of how much she has, but know there will be a few items of furniture so am just working on a vague assumption that it'll be something like a whole mercades sprinter etc, as opposed to needing a large truck.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what that might cost for a company to drive her stuff to Bristol (more man with a van than professional removals people), so I can look at whether it would be more cost effective just to get a bus to London and then rent a van for the day and do it myself.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm trying to hold off getting onto websites and asking for quotes, partly because I'm not entirely sure just how much stuff she has, plus I don't want to end up bombarded with emails like I do anytime I've asked for an insurance quote etc.

Master
    I did something similar from Norwich to London a few years ago. I think it was about £120 which I thought wasn’t bad. I packed everything but that included time loading and unloading the van at the other end. Not sure what the insurance cover was like though so made sure anything valuable I took myself.

I've used Anyvan a couple of times for this kind of thing - basically people bid for the work and you can choose based on their price and feedback. I found it very good, plus you will quickly get an idea of price and availability. As an idea of price, I got a Luton van from Bath to Cambridge with a couple of guys to move my stuff for about £250, albeit that was 6 years ago.
    Last edited by Pathtower; 27th May 2018 at 21:22.

Cost will depend on volume. Until you know the volume you won’t get a reliable quote.
    Many companies will offer free quotes so once you know it will be easy.
    You can also find on many companies’ website a cubic calculator that will help you. Be careful though, as
    1) it’s an estimated volume, although usually reliable and
    2) the weight is just as important although harder to estimate.
    Most will use Luton type vans that can take 20 m3 and 1000kg. Which means 50kg per cubic meter, and they will quote you for whichever is greater. So if you have 2 m3 but they weight 200 kg, they’ll quote you for 4m3.
    Finally, if you have a part-load (less than 12 to 15 m3), which seems to be your case, the company will try to move other part load customers at the same time. This means you need to be flexible as to your pick-up and delivery days (usually a 3 days window, for both).
    Getting a van yourself is likely to be cheaper, but you would need to drive it to London empty and back.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Thanks for the replies guys. I understand they're not necessarily current prices, but it is still a lot less than I was thinking. The missus will become unemployed to a degree initially, so makes sense to try and save a quid here and there.

And tha ks SJ. Your post only appeared after I got around to submitting mine. Very insightful post. I'm still thinking renting a van would be the best option. Even if it is an insignificant saving, any excuse to go for a drive :)
    Last edited by hafle; 27th May 2018 at 21:28.

Those prices are indeed quite old.

Master
    The bigger companies will do one way rentals, saves driving back again. I did it with a 7.5 lorry from Glasgow to Bath, granted that was nearly 20 yrs ago but that shouldn't make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    The bigger companies will do one way rentals, saves driving back again. I did it with a 7.5 lorry from Glasgow to Bath, granted that was nearly 20 yrs ago but that shouldn't make a difference.
    Indeed, but they usually charge you for the privilege. And he would still have to travel to London, and train tickets are not exactly cheap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Indeed, but they usually charge you for the privilege. And he would still have to travel to London, and train tickets are not exactly cheap.
    Costs me £11 all in to get to London.

Removals/man and a van prices

From Ashford (70 miles from the City, off peak is already £30+, hence my comment. West country is obviously cheaper

Regardless, it will be cheaper to do it yourself if money is tight. But first and foremost you need to find out what she’s moving.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 28th May 2018 at 08:43.

We've done similar moves from Henley to Yorkshire, by hiring a van in Reading and dropping it off in Sheffield, so it was a one way hire, seemed to compare very favourably with paying someone else.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Hello

I used one to move when I moved out. Him and his friend were superb. Can pm details so you could speak with him direct and ask for a quote.

Apprentice

Removal Prices Online

I will say worth checking prices online here https://www.apex-removals.co.uk/