closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Introductory SOTC

Craftsman

Introductory SOTC

Afternoon!

While the girlfriend’s popped to the shops I thought it wasa good opportunity to finally say hello properly, and as I’ve particularly enjoy the SOTCs over the last few months, sharing my own modest collection seemed the most appropriate way. And doing so seems to spur on the next purchase!

My brother is to blame for this 3 years ago when he spent his inheritance from my grandpa on an old Rolex Explorer (I’m still learning all the refs, maybe a 114270 – I think I was wearing it one Friday so there’ll be a photo of it on here somewhere).

That was around my 30th and I thought I’d follow suit, but wanted to buy something new. The best thing I could find in my budget was a sapphire sandwich speedmaster, which as well as being such an icon, I thought well reflected my grandpa – a modest front, hiding that beautiful mechanism within. Though a brummie miser for all of his 99 years, he’d probably disown me for such luxury!

A sucker for everything I read, I then “needed a beater” so next acquisition was the SKX009. I’d just been to Japan so semi inspired by that, and it reminded me of a watch dad had when I was little and used to play with the bezel. It’s been bullet proof despite everything thrown at it, and I still love the bezel.

Last year I found my blue navitimer (A23322?). Truth be told, it was the model I’d wanted at my 30th but that silly notion of needing to be the first owner got in the way. Now it’s my normal go to, the dial is stunning, it’s incredibly accurate, and I actually find the slide rule quite useful, especially for FX rates (so maybe just twice a year).

For our anniversary earlier this year (and to give her some buy in so she stops moaning about my watch obsession – which worked!) I bought my girlfriend a tiny gold plated vintage omega from 1977. I was so taken by it, I bought myself one too! Mine’s a 9ct 610 cal from around 1964 per the serial no. I wasn’t sure about the silver dial from the photos, but I love it in the flesh.

I think my collection will stay quite small, confined by both funds and the guilt when I don’t wear one (this mainly happens in always picking the navitimer over the speedy). Unimaginative as ever, I’d love a pepsi 16710, though I’ve REALLY picked the wrong time to wake up to that itch. The BMW threads are also telling me I need a field watch too…

The current grail (and an equally dull choice) is a 5711. I’d really disliked them and just didn’t get it, then since watching the Mr Porter video that was shared on here about Aurel Bac’s collection, a switch has flicked and now I can’t get enough.

Photos to follow via the app, and thanks for having me around!
    Jon

Craftsman

Journeyman
    Welcome. I’m a newcomer here too. I do like the Speedmaster.

Yes a nice collection you have there. Probably all the watches you'll ever need however I'm sure you will be buying more. Welcome.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Welcome.

Very nice and varied selection
    It's just a matter of time...

Welcome.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Welcome, from another new member, that vintage Omega is gorgeous.
    J

Welcome - well done on that collection and the story behind each. I know what you mean about the “guilt” thing too.... If (like me) it’s most acute when your mechanicals run down, then I would heartily recommend the world of HAQ for the next watch ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Popey View Post
    I do like the Speedmaster.
    I really like the speedy too, but I love the others

Quote Originally Posted by Jardine32 View Post
    that vintage Omega is gorgeous.
    J
    Thanks! The lugs definitely look a bit too melting chocolate, but it’s a little beauty

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    If (like me) it’s most acute when your mechanicals run down, then I would heartily recommend the world of HAQ for the next watch ;)
    Yes, you can see the non-ticking odd one out of the group...

HAQ sounds interesting, I was reading about spring drive for the first time recently which is fascinating, but the lack of a tick sounds a bit odd

Master
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to this addictive and crazy world.

You’ve a very nice collex which I’m sure you’ll look after.

All the very best

Jim

Nice collection. Your logic tells me you are going to fit right in here. Welcome

Dave

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the comments!

Met my neighbour yesterday who’s got a 116600 - as someone with a dislike of the cyclops, this might be the perfect Rolex! Add it to the list

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Welcome from another newbie

I like the look of the omega, a sensibly priced similar piece is on my list

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post

like!

Craftsman
    Nice set of watches.

Love the Seiko SKX 009. Just had a long weekend with the family in Warwick and Stratford Upon Avon - took the 009 out of all my watches.

Just never have to think about it... and it looks good. Mine has the jubilee and a black casio style rubber strap that is supremely comfortable. That colour nato looks pretty good though.

Journeyman
    Lovely vintage Omega.

Craftsman
    Quick update having got them all wound and synched (well, as far as you can).

I thought it would stay around 4 - fool!

Everest was my eagerly awaited Xmas present, the AT I received in a trade last week and the three top left are some of grandpas old watches I recently found. The SKX has gone to my brother so not too far away.

The chrono’s get least wrist time so I keep pondering chopping them but think I’d regret it.