closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Maen Watches? Good value 38mm automatic dive watch (ETA 2824) ?

Craftsman

Maen Watches? Good value 38mm automatic dive watch (ETA 2824) ?

This popped up on my radar recently (via facebook) as one of many small independents trying their luck with a kickstarter campaign. Somehow the design caught my eye as something a little better than most I see and I really quite like it. The only niggle for me is that brand name!? I have no issue with an unknown brand but somehow "Maen" just seems a little odd to me. Would be interested to know what anyone else thinks, especially if anyone has bought any of their watches.

https://www.maenwatches.com/collections/hudson-38-automatic/products/hudson-automatic-jetblackwr-date

I have no affiliation with them by the way.

Craftsman
    It seems quite reasonably well priced but I agree with you about the name. And the funny ‘E’ doesn’t really add much.

Good spec for a good price with a pleasing design. The logo is fine for me. Good value I think.

Quite tempted by the white dialed version.

Spend now regret later?

They're a Dutch company, and Maen is a Dutch word - it's not unreasonable of them to use their own language, is it?

I too think the white-dialled version with no date is the pick of the bunch. The slightly 60s aesthetic of the design seems to suit a pale dial.

Intersting that they have chosen not to use any lume on the bezel whatsoever.

Dave

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    They're a Dutch company, and Maen is a Dutch word - it's not unreasonable of them to use their own language, is it?
    Oh no, not unreasonable at all. It just didn't particularly grab me as a brand name. Although having read the background (and the translation of "moon") it makes a little more sense.

Interestingly the kickstarter campaign mentioned that they were based in Sweden, rather than the founders being Dutch.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

There's just so many similar looking divers style watches at that price point.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Like them. My choice would be the midnight blue, no date and closed case back. Make a good weekend watch. Thanks for sharing OP.

Master
    Can't find any visual or size objections. Could be a winner. The build quality and feel are impossible to judge till it's in your hand. Any objective reviews?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I like the design, the specs and the size. Could be a winner!

The more I look at these the more I want one; blue or white dial.

Price is great, design is ok... Can't say I like the logo.

I don't think it would be a bad move to purchase one as an every day wearer, but I feel you'd get bored of it pretty quickly.

Blog Entries
    from their site:

[QUOTE]Inspirational Heritage

MAEN was founded by 2 Dutchmen. They have always been fascinated by the story of New York City. In 1626, the island of Manhattan was renamed to New Amsterdam after it was discovered by captain Hudson on the Dutch ship the Halve Maen (‘Half Moon’).
    The Bronx, Brooklyn, Broadway, Harlem, Wall Street, Long Island. These and many more New York place names are known all over the world, but did you know those place names all come from Dutch?
    The name of the settlement may have changed, but you don’t have to spend a lot of time in the Hudson River Valley area to see the Dutch influence that still exists there./QUOTE]

The name Maen should be pronounced in a way incomparable with any English word. The 'AE' sound is written in an oldfashioned style and should be pronounced as 'AA'. As said, there's no real English word with that combination. The closest I could come up with is when an English speaking person says 'Suid Afrikaan' with a Southafrican accent.

Compared to most kickstarters I think it’s a bit expensive and not different enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maen? More like meh...one of the most anodyne attempts at a diver I've seen in recent years.

The handset design is the only distinguishing feature and manages to be just plain weird.

Craftsman
    Interesting mix of opinions - that's what makes the world go round! Thanks all for adding your thoughts. I was considering it as an everyday watch but on balance I think I'll hang on the for the 39mm Steinhart titanium that I really hope they release.

It looks like decent value for an inoffensive diver with an ETA movement inside it. My preference would be the LE black edition - and happily 38mm / closed back since those are the only choices on that model.

Maybe I’ve just not looked hard enough, but I don’t see much competition at that price and a 38mm size?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonConnell View Post

Maybe I’ve just not looked hard enough, but I don’t see much competition at that price and a 38mm size?
    I would agree Simon, I don't think there are many with a decent movement for that sort of price. Not new anyway. The used market would obviously open up a few more options.

Craftsman
    Is there a gallery I've overlooked where the 38mm and the 42mm version are pictured side by side? As it is, I don't even know which one I'm looking at, the picture stays the same when I pick the other diameter.

Otherwise, I like the white though I fear that it would come off as a bit anaemic in real life, so I think I'd go for the black dial with the white chapter ring (and the date) myself.

Craftsman
    Fair enough

I really like the look of it. But whilst I very much like the gradations on the outer track, it's completely useless when there are big old gaps in the track either side of and at each 10 second mark. It's like they put it on for looks only without any consideration or realisation of its function.

Very true. However, one has to be careful.

Some years ago a friend brought back a bottle of lemonade from France. The producers were obviously more than happy with the onomatopoeia of the brandname they had chosen: Pschitt!

Bringing this one back up as I recently bought the white dialled Maen from SC.

I have to say, for the price it is a superb little watch. It has a lovely domed sapphire and an elabore ETA2824 which is keeping time very nicely. The bracelet is fine and the endlinks fit very securely. Although I’m preferring the leather Zuludiver.

The only negative is the lume, which on the hands is pretty non-existent. Apparently Maen are looking into this and will hopefully offer a solution (not sure what they can do apart from sending out new handsets).

Despite this, I’m very pleased with it and for the money I paid I really am struggling to think of a better spec’d watch.

Last edited by Mr Tetley; 13th December 2018 at 23:29.

Had mine a few weeks now and would echo your thoughts, lume and a slightly overtight bezel are the only minor issues, neither are spoiling my enjoyment of it.

As for the bracelet I can't comment, I took it straight off, put it down and haven't seen it since. I suspect it went in the bin sandwiched between a paper and some junk mail. Which is annoying.

Still, it looks good in the Barton canvas I've been wearing it on.

Journeyman
    weird name, but good size!