closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Just about sums up GDPR

Excellent!

Ha Ha LOL
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

We may laugh at that now.........

Master
    Funny but it's a long road to ru(wh)in.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Down with this sort of thing!

Actually, whilst the whole GDPR thing has been a pain in the arse (and very costly for a lot of SME's to implement) you can't have it both ways. If you want regulation to protect the way in which your data is used, you can't then complain when you get it!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Actually, whilst the whole GDPR thing has been a pain in the arse (and very costly for a lot of SME's to implement) you can't have it both ways. If you want regulation to protect the way in which your data is used, you can't then complain when you get it!
    It gone mad, personal data yes, b to b no, it's gone mad

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    It gone mad, personal data yes, b to b no, it's gone mad
    What kind of data do you think B to B involves, then?

He he. On a serious note, that article itself is in breach of GDPR by publicly disclosing the girl's date of birth
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    It's quite possible to have regulation that addresses the issues without going over the top, for me this one missed that mark.

What kind of data do you think B to B involves, then?
    Ongoing Customer contacts

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    It's quite possible to have regulation that addresses the issues without going over the top, for me this one missed that mark.
    I suspect that it was the response to the regulation, as opposed to the regulation itself, that missed the mark.

Ongoing Customer contacts
    Precisely!

... you can't have it both ways. If you want regulation to protect the way in which your data is used, you can't then complain when you get it!
    So by that logic, if you want to see greater protection from accidents on the roads, you can't complain if the government (or the EU) puts in place a blanket 30mph speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    So by that logic, if you want to see greater protection from accidents on the roads, you can't complain if the government (or the EU) puts in place a blanket 30mph speed limit.
    If you think that’s a logical conclusion from what I said then so be it.

I suspect that it was the response to the regulation, as opposed to the regulation itself, that missed the mark.

Precisely!
    So how do you email potential customers, without asking if it's ok first, this is the one must companies are struggling with, personally anyone who requests their data will be removed, except for payroll which will be interesting if anyone make a request.

GDPR is a heavy handed attemp to control social media, it will be interesting to see all the work around in a few months time.

Anyway this thread was supposed to be humorous:-)

Agreed 100%.

While it has caused me much aggravation professionally, I think it is well overdue and a good piece of legislation. How effective it will be remains to be seen, but data security previous to this was a total joke in so many respects.
    So clever my foot fell off.

So how do you email potential customers, without asking if it's ok first, this is the one must companies are struggling with, personally anyone who requests their data will be removed, except for payroll which will be interesting if anyone make a request.

GDPR is a heavy handed attemp to control social media, it will be interesting to see all the work around in a few months time.

Anyway this thread was supposed to be humorous:-)
    I'd be interested in knowing who gave you your GDPR briefing/training. Mick P?

So how do you email potential customers, without asking if it's ok first
    If it's a consumer, you can be fined if you email them to ask them this...but that was the case before GDPR.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Company secretary who was briefed by corporate lawyers, we do not deal with individuals

I'd rather have a dozen unsolicited marketing emails than one nuisance phone call about PPI, accidents that never happened, windows scrappage and such like.

Shame more effort isn't concentrated in this area.

Company secretary who was briefed by corporate lawyers, we do not deal with individuals
    Sorry, I don't know the answer, but I am interested. The customer is someone who has not bought from you before? You already have details of the potential customer stored on a database? The details are primarily about an entity, but do identify individuals?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

Good one! Actually an expression that needs to be coined. My boss for example, had his SEO training done by Mick P.
    He now thinks he knows everything but a significant amount of what he knows is completely outdated, and the rest is true in cloud cuckoo land.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

There needs to be middle ground with this.
    A customer has to contact me, once that contact is made to be able to contact them, text them, email them a quote etc I need their information......it's frigging obvious.
    At that point if those people had issue with giving me the info they wouldn't have frigging given it to me in the first place.
    Now every single customers record I hold, I have to click a link and tell the software I have that verbal confirmation was obtained....it's ridiculous.

Craftsman
    Nope it's the regulation and it's broad definition of what needs protecting. SPI sure, but protecting everything that can identify an individual is too much, especially when it gets broadened to include IP addresses and domain names. Am just looking forward to the first time a GDPR consultant discovers how networks actually function with ARP caches, FIB, etc. So I can't cache that without consent, ok let's see how well this ends!

Franky if they're actually as customer then you don't need consent as there is allowance for data you need to uphold your end of a contract. If they're a sales lead then you do. Probably a limit of the software.
    Last edited by wombleh; 27th May 2018 at 17:05.

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    Nope it's the regulation and it's broad definition of what needs protecting. SPI sure, but protecting everything that can identify an individual is too much, especially when it gets broadened to include IP addresses and domain names. Am just looking forward to the first time a GDPR consultant discovers how networks actually function with ARP caches, FIB, etc. So I can't cache that without consent, ok let's see how well this ends!

Franky if they're actually as customer then you don't need consent as there is allowance for data you need to uphold your end of a contract. If they're a sales lead then you do. Probably a limit of the software.
    I hear you, but I still maintain that the manner in which the regulations were applied was at the root cause of the negative response to it. The scorched earth emails were largely unnecessary (for the reasons you hint at), but that simply proves the point I'm making.

Sounds like fake news to me.