closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch cleaning kit recommendation

Master

Watch cleaning kit recommendation

Hi, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced watch cleaning kit. Just looking for something with a spray, brush, cloth, etc. Nothing too OTT. I’ve seen some on amazon but don’t know if any good.

Thanks
    Mike

Master
    This is my routine for my Pateks.

Turn on tap wash with fairly then rinse and dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    This is my routine for my Pateks.

Turn on tap wash with fairly then rinse and dry.

Good to know, not really a wash cleaning kit though is it.

Whatever watch I’m wearing for the day goes into the shower with me. Still get build on dirt between links, etc and in the nooks and crannies. Have just come back from holiday and not surprisingly factor 50 suncream wont just rinse out of these small gaps.
    Last edited by michael.jaye; 27th May 2018 at 07:55.

For the bracelet an ultrasonic bath might be worth a look.

Otherwise its just a quick scrub with an old toothbrush and a dab of w/up liquid or soap for me.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Wha would people use to get desk diving marks off clasps?

Garryflex / cape cod?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    Hi, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced watch cleaning kit. Just looking for something with a spray, brush, cloth, etc. Nothing too OTT. I’ve seen some on amazon but don’t know if any good.

Thanks
    Mike
    Mike make your own kit up
    A used or soft toothbrush
    Packet of screen wipes or wet wipes
    Lint free cloth cut up into squares
    Pop it all in a little lunch box with a drying cloth

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My kit is a new head from an electronic toothbrush, some liquid soap and any watch cloth. I also use Zeiss optical wipes which are designed to clean glasses but are equally effective on watches for removing smudges without using brush and soap technique.
    I'm sure putting a bundle like that together into a service case would work if you want a specific set?

I've heard even a toothbrush will add swirly marks or scratches to your bracelets and case even with stainless steel.

http://adjustingvintagewatches.com/s...-toothbrushes/

I would say it is best to use some cotton wool buds and alcohol or whatever you clean your windows with I reckon along with a soft lens cleaning cloth.

Soak the bracelet removed from the watch head in some warm soapy water and then use a soft microfiber cloth or q-tip. For the case just rub with the cotton wool q-tip dipped in some isopropyl or window cleaner for the hard to reach bits and use a soft cloth to get rid or any extra dirt, being careful not to rub dirt that is already there as it will also mark the case.

An ultrasonic would be useful, but not for the watch head....bracelet only.

Master

Watch cleaning kit recommendation

Good to know, not really a wash cleaning kit though is it.
    Basically you don’t need one.

I use a lenspen brush for some parts of the watch, for removing dish between the lugs etc and a slightly harder brush for the gaps in the crown (hand winder so it gets used a lot).

Then I give it a thorough wipe with a micro fibre cloth, the best ones I’ve tried are made by ‘town talk’

That’s the lot. Like you I wanted to spend some money on a neat little kit but it just isn’t necessary.

Second the ultrasonic cleaner idea for bracelets.

I got a cheap one from aldi for £30

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    Basically you don’t need one.

Thanks for your input. You don’t need pateks but have them.

Master
    Thanks for everyone’s input, ideally looking for a kit or something with a really soft brush as I’m worried about putting swirls on my TT DJ41. Will give the amazon kits a go and see how I get on.

Cheers
    Mike

Thanks for everyone’s input, ideally looking for a kit or something with a really soft brush as I’m worried about putting swirls on my TT DJ41. Will give the amazon kits a go and see how I get on.

Cheers
    Mike
    It isn’t the brushes or cloths that make the marks, it’s the dirt they are moving around. Hence the soapy/bubbles/rinsing approach where practical.

Master
    If you are worried about a toothbrush (and I wouldn’t be as long as you keep it away from the crystal) go in to an art shop and buy a medium sized flat square cut hogs bristle paint brush. That will be rigid enough to scrub into the nooks and crannies and soft enough to not mark anything.

For cleaning fluid use isopropyl alcohol in 50/50 mix with distilled (deionised) water with a drop of glycerin or propolene glycol.

However as I’m not crazy I use smirnof (as its free in the executive lounge and I am loath to use anything better quality for purposes other than drinking). Plus a tiny drop of handwash from the gents.

This also has the added benefit of people thinking I’m such a manky lush that I take my drink to the toilet with me.

This concoction is good for cleaning anything from watches to screens to eyeglasses and indeed is chemically very similar to overpriced bottles of professional cleaner ( probably better even).

Do not use it to clean eyeballs (human or animal) and do not drink it after you have finished using it (unless you are a massive alcoholic who likes the taste of toilet soap).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    However as I’m not crazy I use smirnof (as its free in the executive lounge and I am loath to use anything better quality for purposes other than drinking). Plus a tiny drop of handwash from the gents.

This also has the added benefit of people thinking I’m such a manky lush that I take my drink to the toilet with me.
    I like your thinking, Mr D, and another advantage is that you always get a silly soft toothbrush in airline amenity kits. This is now going to be my favourite thing to do when changing planes after coming off an overnighter. Large glass of vodka in one hand, toothbrush in the other and off to the loo.

Previously my favourite airline lounge game was finding out if I could smoke a cigarette in the loo. BA north lounge in terminal 5 (or is it the south lounge? turn right when through security) is perfect as you can open the ventilation inlet to max (useful for the odd 'whiffy' one), unscrew the ventilation outlet until it falls off and quite happily puff away. Outside the UK of course, things are much more civilised as most lounges have a smoking room.