closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hodinkee article about Japan's 'big three'.

Hodinkee article about Japan's 'big three'.

Interesting article from Hodinkee.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/he...atch-producers

Interesting that Casio have become the biggest watch producer, going past Citizen who were the worlds largest producer of watches prior to this.

It seems that sales of G Shocks are driving this. Seeing as Casio has been pushing G Shocks up the price range as well in the last few years, it makes you wonder about the profitability of the overall G Shock sales

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Interesting article from Hodinkee.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/he...atch-producers

Interesting that Casio have become the biggest watch producer, going past Citizen who were the worlds largest producer of watches prior to this.

It seems that sales of G Shocks are driving this. Seeing as Casio has been pushing G Shocks up the price range as well in the last few years, it makes you wonder about the profitability of the overall G Shock sales
    This was an interesting read, thanks for sharing

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    it makes you wonder about the profitability of the overall G Shock sales
    8.5 million units per annum! The margins also must be pretty good on these. Not too shabby.
    Great article, thanks.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    8.5 million units per annum! The margins also must be pretty good on these. Not too shabby.
    Great article, thanks.
    Given Casio have really pushed up the price structure on many of the new G Shock models they have introduced in the last few years, the overall value of the brand must be huge.

The new GBA-800 is more like the price Casio used to charge for models that delivered more than the basic DW-5600's etc. A welcome return in my opinion.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-a-Smart-watch

Mitch

I also think casio have lost their way with the g shocks, nearly 90% of the production is very far from the original design brief with form over taking function. Plus the fact that most of these garish and inbred gargoylian fashion led monstrosities are ridiculously big as well as being ridiculously over priced for what was originally pitched as the ultimate toolwatch, a tough and utilitarian timepiece. It's a great shame in my book, but then I'm just a grumpy old man. Eeeeee, it were all fields round 'ere in my day
    Last edited by seikopath; 27th May 2018 at 11:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I also think casio have lost their way with the g shocks, nearly 90% of the production is very far from the original design brief with form over taking function. Plus the fact that most of these garish and inbred gargoylian fashion led monstrosities are ridiculously big as well as being ridiculously over priced for what was originally pitched as the ultimate toolwatch, a tough and utilitarian timepiece. It's a great shame in my book, but then I'm just a grumpy old man. Eeeeee, it were all fields round 'ere in my day
    Not a fan then?

Craftsman
    I can't speak for Seikopath, but one can be both a fan and a critic. I like most of the 80s and 90s G-Shock line-up, and I'm a great fan of the concept, but I have felt for some years now that Casio are caught into some sort of strange compulsion of churning out G-Shocks that are often quite uninspired, which didn't use to be the case in my opinion. I think they're lucky that producing a shock-resistant watch has become so easy, but they don't seem to be dedicated to the purpose the way Ibe intended. They have also begun pandering to the fashion market which had initially embraced the watches precisely because they were so utilitarian and oblivious to fashion. Finally, their obsession with size has probably left many customers alienated - I thought the GST-210D was one of the nicest G-Shocks in years, but even though I have no problem pulling off 44mm watches, it looked ridiculous on my wrist, which was all the more sad because there's no reason for it to be this huge. At least they've got it right with the GMW-B5000, and I hope for more innovation of this kind, rather than merely looking for colour combinations they haven't yet done.

Quote Originally Posted by lasz View Post
    I can't speak for Seikopath, but one can be both a fan and a critic. I like most of the 80s and 90s G-Shock line-up, and I'm a great fan of the concept, but I have felt for some years now that Casio are caught into some sort of strange compulsion of churning out G-Shocks that are often quite uninspired, which didn't use to be the case in my opinion. I think they're lucky that producing a shock-resistant watch has become so easy, but they don't seem to be dedicated to the purpose the way Ibe intended. They have also begun pandering to the fashion market which had initially embraced the watches precisely because they were so utilitarian and oblivious to fashion. Finally, their obsession with size has probably left many customers alienated - I thought the GST-210D was one of the nicest G-Shocks in years, but even though I have no problem pulling off 44mm watches, it looked ridiculous on my wrist, which was all the more sad because there's no reason for it to be this huge. At least they've got it right with the GMW-B5000, and I hope for more innovation of this kind, rather than merely looking for colour combinations they haven't yet done.
    Im still a fan, but have similar misgivings to you.

how many festering rancid carbuncles have they released that are just barely legible?

' preposterous. ridiculous. ludicrous. I'm out' as duncan used to say.