closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex 6424

Rolex 6424 - Update

I bought this watch about 25 years ago in Camden market, cant remember what I paid but was peanuts. Always presumed it was just a Rolex dial and crown fitted to something else, not sure I've worn
    it more than once as the crown never screwed down properly.

As part or consolidation of my collection I stuck it in the watch box from the draw where it had been left and today had a look at it and I managed to unscrew the case back.
    I was suprised to see the movement marked as Rolex but I really have no knowledge of old Rolex at all but did they fit small movements into larger cases?

My gut still says it some kind of Franken but any opinions advice appreciated as I will probably try to sell it if it has any value. The crown doesnt screw down at all now but it does seem to be running.

Last edited by TBKBABAB; 21st September 2018 at 13:50.

I'm no expert, but it looks similar to this movement.

http://www.horologist.com/vintagerolex.htm

M

Thanks, looks very similar dial and case to the first one but no date. The second one is a smaller movement in a larger case but
    fitted differently.
    Reckon all the parts are probably genuine Rolex but still not convinced they all originally came from the same watch.

I just dont want to try and sell as something it isnt.

Craftsman
    I had a 6424 that I gave to my Dad. Their cases are slightly bigger than similar precision models at 36mm so wear really nicely. The dauphine hands and shark tooth indices are the same as his. The movement should be a 1210 I think. They’re cracking watches if you can find them and sell for around the same price as a 6694, so offer great value for money for a rare model.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks looks very much like a 1210

Take it to Rolex and they’ll tell you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take it to a RSC not a Rolex shop as I have found they know nothing about anything other than the current models.
    You might be lucky and find one that does have a person there that can tell you about it but usually they don't seem to be very knowledgeable about the heritage of the product they are selling

Thinking it may well be a genuine 6424 now but it definitely needs some work, may take it into RSC when I'm next in London.

Any suggestions for someone to do a service and clean up?
    Last edited by TBKBABAB; 27th May 2018 at 16:36.

When I said take it to Rolex, I meant a RSC. If you’re going to London, the one in St James’s Square

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can just about see the serial number between the lugs which seems to date it to 1953 which seems right comparing it to below 1953 oversize 6424 sold by Sonning watches https://sonningvintagewatches.com/vi...vintage-watch/

Think a trip to RSC is on the cards next week but would still like suggestions who might be best to do restorative work and service

Last edited by TBKBABAB; 28th May 2018 at 18:44.

If Rolex themselves won’t do the work due to its age, I think Bill Rice is the default vintage Rolex restodude.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Case and dial is definitely 6424 - I sold mine last year (and regret it). 6426 has the drilled lugs. I don't know if the 6424 came with a black dial so this could be a redial, although your handset and indices come from a slightly different iteration of the 6424. I don't have a clue about the movement because I never saw it with the back off. Here is (what was) mine:20170605_170823-1620x2160-1.jpg20170605_202816-1620x2160-1.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Rolex still make parts for the movement and case so servicing is not a problem. They may want you to switch case though due to the pitting and corrossion.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Rolex still make parts for the movement and case so servicing is not a problem. They may want you to switch case though due to the pitting and corrossion.
    The worse part is the case back which looks like someone at some time has tried to use
    a pair of pliers to remove it.

Rolex 6424

Short update, I took it to RSC St james's, they finally came back saying that they no longer manufacture parts for the watch (basically the movement which is a 1215)
    they suggested I take it to Steven Hale, which I think is their standard recommendation for anything they will no longer service. but I already have someone else lined up who
    says they can probably source the parts.

Will update again when I get it back.
    Last edited by TBKBABAB; 19th July 2018 at 22:17.

The watch is now with Brendan, will be serviced and a new crown tube and crystal fitted and
    a bit of case refinishing.
    What I cant decided is whether to have the dial refinished. The case back has some cosmetic damage where its been removed without the correct tool which obviously you can’t see when wearing it but is likely to put a limit on any future value so I feel having a nicely refinished dial isn’t going to have a major impact on the value of the watch one way or the other (and likely improve how it looks) or am I wrong?
    I suspect the lume dots already aren’t original.

Craftsman
    I’d leave it as is. I’ve never seen a perfect 6424 dial (The perfect dial posted in this thread has been repainted). Whatever happened during the painting process, they all seem to be quite ‘spotted’, but tend to wear their age well. And as a plus I’ve never come across a black dial, so if original, yours would be a rare dial on a rare reference, so nice to keep it as is. The lume has been redone at some stage, and not very sympathetically, so I would see if Brendan could relume it with something more in keeping with the original.

As an aside I picked one up off the back of this thread - great look, great size, and incredible value for money.

Received it back from Brendan this morning after a service which included a new crystal a replacement used tube and crown and the dial refinished and relumed. Removing the previous lume would have pulled away the surface of the dial so had to go for a refinish.

These photos really dont do it justice it looks stunning, now need decide on a new strap.

Last edited by TBKBABAB; 21st September 2018 at 13:48.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Received it back from Brendan this morning after a service which included a new crystal a replacement used tube and crown and the dial refinished and relumed. Removing the previous lume would have pulled away the surface of the dial so had to go for a refinish.

These photos really dont do it justice it looks stunning, now need decide on a new strap.
    That's cracking. Another piece of lovely restoration from Brendan.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Master
    Top job

Blog Entries
    Lovely.

I had a 6424 white a while back and the dial was a work of art.

Enjoy

Pitch

Craftsman
    Lovely job Brendan, and enjoy wearing TBK - Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    That looks so good!

Shame you can't pick up these pieces for a reasonable price to restore anymore..

Craftsman
    Another great job from Brendan, good to see it restored after all them years in a drawer.