closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any LR owners insight 7 seater RR Sport Vs Discovery

Any LR owners insight 7 seater RR Sport Vs Discovery

Looking at 7 seater options and seriously considering going with Land Rover RR Sport or Discovery

Will be brand new and most likely on a 3yr PCP

I like options so will be specing it up and I’m leaning towards petrol over diesel but not overly bothered either way as long as it’s not underpowered.

Mainly after feedback on engine choices, spec and is the Disco on par with the sport, initial thoughts are both are very similar interior quality wise, driving I found the Disco felt bigger and more utility like.

Look wise I feel the Sport looks a little dated but more aggressive where as the Disco is quite rounded and smooth (I will have the rear number plate changed to central location)

Thoughts and opinions welcome?

When I looked the pcp figures on a new disco were quite high 6.9% apr I think
    Hardly any discount either

PM me, I work for JLR on RR and Disco.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    When I looked the pcp figures on a new disco were quite high 6.9% apr I think
    Hardly any discount either
    Yes both currently 6.9%

Disco £3,500 off an £70k build
    Sport £2,000 off an £80k build

Above were straight away offers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    PM me, I work for JLR on RR and Disco.

Will do and if you are bucks you are just down the road from me!

Yes, indeed I an

Best figures I had on a hse disco with a couple of options was about £650 a month £2000 down over 4 yrs

Craftsman
    Another JLR employee here

For me if you need 7 seats regularly go Discovery - it has more interior space. Downside is it’s less sporty than the Sport but for general day to day driving you won’t notice this

If the 7 seats are just an occasional use then go Sport

In terms of engine choice - for me in either of those two the 3.0 V6 diesel is the one to have (although the 4.4 V8 diesel in the Sport is on another level!)

The petrol choices are just not as refined for day to day driving as they have to work harder - these are heavy cars remember.

The only exception would be if you do lots of short journies - then the petrol is best

Both are fantastic cars!

Is the family discount available in the new disco
    It wasn’t last year

Disco 5 not a patch on the Disco 4 in my opinion....but don’t get me started on that again!

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Another JLR employee here

For me if you need 7 seats regularly go Discovery - it has more interior space. Downside is it’s less sporty than the Sport but for general day to day driving you won’t notice this

If the 7 seats are just an occasional use then go Sport

In terms of engine choice - for me in either of those two the 3.0 V6 diesel is the one to have (although the 4.4 V8 diesel in the Sport is on another level!)

The petrol choices are just not as refined for day to day driving as they have to work harder - these are heavy cars remember.

The only exception would be if you do lots of short journies - then the petrol is best

Both are fantastic cars!
    If you don't mind me asking what do you do at JLR?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Is the family discount available in the new disco
    It wasn’t last year
    I would need to check as the offers charge every quarter

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    If you don't mind me asking what do you do at JLR?
    I work in the Powertrain department

I would need to check as the offers charge every quarter
    I work in the Powertrain department
    very interesting, what's your thoughts on the TDV6 3.0 Ltr engine?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Disco 5 not a patch on the Disco 4 in my opinion....but don’t get me started on that again!
    In the looks department, I totally agree. D5 looks ugly to me but then it is all subjective. On my test drive soon after they hit the showrooms, it definitely felt like a more refined car than D4 though, in terms of engine/gearbox mapping, handling and interior.

OP, I have a Sport and when ordering it I did consider 7 seats for occasional use. The third row seats are pointless and only suitable for really small children in baby seats. There isn’t enough space for legs. I decided that losing a full size spare wheel (or was it spare wheel altogether?) for the sake of 2 extra useless seats wasn’t worth it for us. If you NEED 7 seats, go for Discovery. No contest in the space and practicality department.

I prefer the shape of RRS over Discovery even though it has been out for 5 years. I feel the interior of RRS is also superior. Sport handles far far better than Discovery, especially in dynamic mode. Mine has the 3 litre Diesel engine but I have no personal experience of their other engines. I do feel that a car of this size and weight needs a 6 cylinder engine at the very least. This applies to both RRS and Disco. The 3.0l engine and 8 speed gearbox are the same in both cars, just mapped differently to suit each.

They are both very comfortable cars, provided you set up the seats correctly. Disco perhaps slightly better due to the more accommodating suspension setup whereas the Sport’s air suspension is slightly firmer to provide a ... sportier experience. Having said that, I have done some really long trips in mine and all day driving it doesn’t tire me one bit. So for me personally, the extra comfort of Discovery is not that important compared to the benefit of a livelier driving experience of Range Rover Sport.
    Last edited by FK77; 26th May 2018 at 17:51.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    very interesting, what's your thoughts on the TDV6 3.0 Ltr engine?
    In what respect? As mentioned in my post it would be my engine of choice for these vehicles unless you can afford the extra to get the 4.4 V8 diesel

Master
    In what respect?
    I think (and I may be wrong) that FFF may be pointing towards the dreaded crankshaft snapping issue.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    I think (and I may be wrong) that FFF may be pointing towards the dreaded crankshaft snapping issue.
    In what respect? As mentioned in my post it would be my engine of choice for these vehicles unless you can afford the extra to get the 4.4 V8 diesel
    Yes absolutley, I'm very surprised that the engine is recommended when I actively warn my customers away from them, or at least advise purchasing a bomb proof warranty.

I thought LR were struggling with sales?
    Surprised you can’t get a decent discount

Master
    Clarkson wrote a good article about the Disco 5 in the Times a while ago but said neither it or the RR came close the new XC90 for the practicality side of using the 7 seats.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I thought LR were struggling with sales?
    Surprised you can’t get a decent discount
    Carwow does suggest better deals but as I’m not certain on exact model I haven’t pushed to see what more I can get.

Blog Entries
    I have just replaced my two year old Q7 with a XC90 D5 R Design and very impressed.

The tech is on another level compared to Audi and well, a different place all together when judged with RR.

I really really wanted to like the Sport and Disco but just could not get beyond the badge and shocking reliability issues.

The sport for me is one of the most handsome SUV’s on the road.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I have just replaced my two year old Q7 with a XC90 D5 R Design and very impressed.

The tech is on another level compared to Audi and well, a different place all together when judged with RR.

I really really wanted to like the Sport and Disco but just could not get beyond the badge and shocking reliability issues.

The sport for me is one of the most handsome SUV’s on the road.

Pitch
    The Sport is a great car and to be fair has nowhere near the issues as other models however, I would at all costs steer well clear of the 3.0 ltr engined version of this vehicle as the emgine is made of cream cheese. I guess with a new car and having a 3 year warranty you won't worry about it that much though.