closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ploprof to replace Hulk?

Craftsman

Ploprof to replace Hulk?

Hi guys,

I’m just looking for some advice regarding the Omega Ploprof. I previously owned a Seamaster PO XL which I sold to a forum member on here. I then bought a Rolex Sub Hulk which I’m really enjoying wearing but...a watch I’ve always wanted to own from new...and still do...is the Ploprof.

I know that it’s a marmite sort of watch and often when I look at Omega stockists online, it doesn’t even appear in their line-up. However, as I’m pretty much an amateur in the world of watches, does anyone know if good discounts on these, from reputable dealers, can still be had? Also, if I was to find a suitable dealer, would I be mad to look at trade-in options or should I aim to sell the Hulk privately?

I know that the Omega won’t hold its value like a Rolex and doesn’t have the same sort of prestige but alas, I find myself looking at it online more and more and now that I’ve scratched the submariner itch, perhaps I should follow my heart.

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Martin
    Last edited by MTM84; 25th May 2018 at 23:37.

Master
    I have had both and loved them both. If you must sell the Hulk, then do so privately - I think this is a good time to sell as you should easily get more than list.

You should be able to get around 20% of a Ploprof (I did from a contact on here), or post a WTB as there are certainly a few on the forum (I traded mine on here recently)

Don’t sell the Hulk for the Proplof!

I’m saying that owning two ploprofs and wear one a lot, had one on today in fact. But... the LV will increase in value far quicker and be sought after far longer.

Just buy the Ploprof as well - make it work. They are very different watches, and both worth having. Expect to lose money on a new Ploprof, maybecquite a bit - but the first remake 1200m is starting to come up in value very slightly now, but that wasn’t hard as they were loosing 50% on RRP immediately only a few years back.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Try the ploprof

but if you can keep the Hulk I won’t sell just yet.

Master
    Swapping your Hulk for a Ploprof will be a decision I think you will regret. I always fancied trying a Ploprof and I owned one for about 3 days. If you’re still not convinced, buy one, but keep the LV aswell.

Master
    As others have said it all depends how much the value of the watch matters at this stage of your collecting. If you need a watch that holds value stay with the Rolex but if that is not a deal breaker go with your desire and buy the omega.

Master
    Have you considered the older model Ploproff or does it have to be the newer one?
    The older would be far more wearable.

Master
    IMHO the Hulk is a keeper if you let it go, it will be a big mistake.
    If you can keep it and afford the Omega go for it. The Hulk will be too expensive to replace later.
    Just my 2 pence worth.
    But good luck with which ever decision you make.

I would try to avoid letting Hulk go, the Hype for and prices might make it difficult to reaquire..

Master
    Have you bought about saving up and buying a lovely vintage Omega Diver. The PLO Profs , Baby PLO Profs , Big Blues. All will hold value better . If I were buying Omega new I think I’d go for a Speedie from a grey dealer.
    I’m not really into Rolex but I wouldn’t sell a Hulk unless it was for a really important financial need. As others have said it appears to be their Oher Daytona in terms of retention

Had a proplof on the other week, very cool watch.

I agree with others that it wouldn’t be an easy replacement if you sold the hulk, so in my opinion that should definitely be a consideration, that said... the heart wants what the heart wants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you think is the realistic discount on the new master chronometer black dial? RRP is £8400

Craftsman
    Thanks for your advice and comments guys. Clearly, it’s not a decision I can make overnight and the thought of the Hulk perhaps rising considerably more in value is something that is holding me back as well.

To what extent will a watch like the Hulk continue to rise in value? Will there come a point where the value will decrease or does it rise and stabilise at that price point?
    Last edited by MTM84; 26th May 2018 at 20:02.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    To what extent will a watch like the Hulk continue to rise in value? Will there come a point where the value will decrease or does it rise and stabilise at that price point?
    No one can answer that, we’d all be guessing. The hulk though like many SS Rolex has risen dramatically in the last couple of years that it’s now far higher than rrp with Some sellers. Extremely unlikely that it will continue to climb like it’s done previously as it’s not impossible to get hold of. Unless of course it gets discontinued. My best guess is that it will continue to be desirable and sort after, prices will remain buoyant and May continue to rise gradually. And like the others far better to gold than the other.

Master
    I, as I'm sure most on here do also (I'm a massive newbie so don't want to assume!), know that once you get an urge for a watch it is very difficult to let it go. However, if you get rid of the Hulk I think you will regret it immediately. Fantastic watch.

Keep the hulk
    Or sell it me

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Keep Hulk , only add.

Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Keep Hulk , only add.
    Love that. That used to be me, but you can't keep them all (although in this instance I agree, don't sell the hulk)

Craftsman
    Thanks again guys. I’ve developed a passion for watches over recent years having first started out with a Tudor Black Bay, then an Omega PO and now the Rolex. On looks alone, I actually prefer the Omega PO and Ploprof which I know is simply a matter of personal taste ( I hear you say I have none lol) but seeing the Hulk on my wrist does make me smile. I bought it not really knowing about how difficult it was to source one (I acquired mine very easily In fairness) but it is nice to think that if I did sell, I could do so for more than I paid.

i had an original Ploprof and whilst it was a lovely watch, I have never worn anything quite as uncomfortable. Especially on a mesh strap.

Personally I would get rid of the Hulk, which I find rather ugly, and get a standard SD or better still a 1665, which is is way nicer.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    I'm not a fan of the Hulk but you clearly were as you own one. I was a huge PloProf fan and bought one thinking it was a keeper. It wasn't. Its size is problematic - won't fit under a shirt-cuff and it is the only watch I feared banging on things every time I wore it. I had the strap and clasp refurbed - the clasp twice - because I kept catching it on things. Eventually I realised I liked the idea of it but not actually wearing it many places. It is beautifully made, and the strap options give it a variety of different looks but even for people who like one I think they go through love-it/hate-it phases.

If it were a car you'd want a 48 hour test drive and even then you'd not be sure you could live with it long-term. And, should you decide to sell it, you will really understand depreciation. Yes, you can buy well but that also means you won't be able to sell it easily or for as much as you imagined. When I put mine on SC looking for around £4k more than one person contacted me to say they weren't looking to pay more than £3k despite mine being the cheapest used watch available on Chrono24, eBay etc. A new one came up shortly after I sold mine on eBay and that was very well priced but was either withdrawn or took a long while to sell. If you don't like it, prepare to swallow hard and take a hit - something you won't say about your Hulk.

If you really want it, go for it. If you're unsure and are genuinely coming to the Collective for advice the don't do it. Keep the Hulk and look elsewhere for your dive watch/odd-design/Omega fix.

Craftsman
    Solid advice there Andy. As crazy as I may be, I can see myself selling it for the right price and opting for the Ploprof, but there is indeed that underlying fear that I could find myself with a rapidly depreciating watch that I wish I hadn’t bought. Decisions decisions! Thanks again for your input.

Isn't that like replacing a Boxster with a Range Rover?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Isn't that like replacing a Boxster with a Range Rover?
    More like replacing a Range Rover with a G-Wagen.

A mint vintage Ploprof will not depreciate, if that is a concern.

as cool as the Ploprof is, try to keep the LV alongside it.

I moved out a hulk 12 months ago and instantly regretted it. Had to buy another.

Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    More like replacing a Range Rover with a G-Wagen.
    I guess I see the Sub more as a sports watch and the Proplof as a dive watch - hence the sports car vs 4WD analogy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    I guess I see the Sub more as a sports watch and the Proplof as a dive watch - hence the sports car vs 4WD analogy.
    It's a sports watch in the same way a Range Rover sport is a sportscar ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    It's a sports watch in the same way a Range Rover sport is a sportscar ;-)
    Not tracking. The Sub is a sports watch that can dive, the Proplof is a proper dive watch. Rolex's ISO level dive watch is the Sea Dweller.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Swapping your Hulk for a Ploprof will be a decision I think you will regret. I always fancied trying a Ploprof and I owned one for about 3 days. If you’re still not convinced, buy one, but keep the LV aswell.
    Agree...always want a hulk when it was first launched but as it price flies near +75%..I believe I have to give up.

You can buy a new Polpro for 5K GBP and immediately the minty resale value would be just 3.5 to 4k. On the contrary, I saw an old gen of 600 Plopro asking for 150K in a second hand shop???

Another downside of Plopro would be its monstrous size and weight...if I were you I wouldn't sell the hulk and might look for an used Plopro.

Plopro is sure an icon for Omega and mine says hi

Last edited by seikomatic; 29th May 2018 at 03:11.

I’ve owned Omega Ploprof’s in various guises since they were released, I love them, I currently have the 1200m steel version. They are marmite watches for sure but they do wear a lot more comfortable than their size and heft suggests but you will always know it’s on your wrist. I would say that it’s a watch that belongs in a collection rather than a ‘one and only’ because it doesn’t work so well as a daily wearer but it’s still a great watch to own and wear occasionally.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    I’ve owned Omega Ploprof’s in various guises since they were released, I love them, I currently have the 1200m steel version. They are marmite watches for sure but they do wear a lot more comfortable than their size and heft suggests but you will always know it’s on your wrist. I would say that it’s a watch that belongs in a collection rather than a ‘one and only’ because it doesn’t work so well as a daily wearer but it’s still a great watch to own and wear occasionally.

This precisely. I wish someone had said this to me when I bought mine. I wanted something for everyday wear and thought it would work but found it didn't. My occasional wear became so occasional I eventually sold it.

Craftsman
    A Hulk for a Ploprof?

Not a good idea unless you’re really not getting on with the Hulk.

The hulk works as an everyday (in almost all situations) watch. The Ploprof IMO is a proper tool.

As an independent who has not owned either my gut feeling is to stick with the Hulk. I have seen the Omega freely available at list price in Omega windows, the same cannot be said about the Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    As an independent who has not owned either my gut feeling is to stick with the Hulk. I have seen the Omega freely available at list price in Omega windows, the same cannot be said about the Hulk.
    Not all about residuals, if OP prefers style of Omega, maybe get that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Exactly, a lot of people seem very hung up on residuals over and above it seems actually owning a watch they really want.

Am I right in saying if you replaced the Hulk for a Ploprof it would be your only watch?

This is very true and rather sad, but whilst not a fan of the Hulk even I can see that the Ploprof is not an everyday wear for most people.

I'd go along with the advice to hold onto the Rolex until you're totally convinced of the Ploprof.

I'd love a Ploprof in my collection, but not enough to buy one

M
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Exactly, a lot of people seem very hung up on residuals over and above it seems actually owning a watch they really want.
    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It’s not about residuals until it becomes . . . . About residuals. Problem with this watch game is things change, dream watch ideas alter, keepers become let goers and all of a sudden that watch we thought we’d own for life suddenly is being sold. I’d always buy what I like, what I’d wear but I’d always keep residuals in mind - just in case.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the advice guys. You see, my problem is that those recent pics of the Ploprof above really get my pulse racing - I just love the look of it whereas I don’t quite get the same feeling with the Hulk. Of course, I thought it was the best thing ever when I bought it but that feeling wears off after a while. Ideally, I’d sell the Hulk when it peaks and then buy what I really want I guess.

Edit: I appreciate the comments regarding this perhaps not being the based everyday watch but I’m the kind of guy who would just make it work if I took the plunge.