closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Quartz grab & go

Quartz grab & go

I bought a quartz grab & go a few months ago....

The idea was to wear it when I was in a hurry, its now nearly June & it's the only one of my watches I have worn for the last 4 months........

Has anyone else found themselves buying a grab & go or a beater & finding its the only watch they end up wearing? I'm beginning to wonder why I have a box full of more expensive automatic watches.........someone one talk me out of this please!

Craftsman
    I can very much relate to this.
    Bought a modded SKX007 as a bit of a fun beater. It's spent about 4 days off my wrist since getting it a few months ago. I can't keep it off.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Not long back from a couple of weeks in Kefalonia, as we were on a boat I took my Scurfa one, haven't stopped wearing it since, sort of fit and forget! Cheers, John B4

Despite having some iconic mechanical watches, I seem to be found wearing an Aerospace, a B&R Demineur, or a G-Shock.

I rather like the whole quartz thing, and really like HEQ accuracy. There was a time I was all mechanical.....

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every time I wear my CWC quartz diver I wonder why I have any other watches.

Master
    Must admit I tend to grab either my GPS or atomic watch and only an automatic on special occasions.

Craftsman
    I like the idea of mechanical but with many different demands on my attention, if I forget to keep on top of them, they require faff when I grab a watch just before leaving the house.

How long does it take to set a watch, a minute?

If I’m in the garden, garage (or no watch depending what I’m doing) fishing or similar wear my quartz beater otherwise will be a mechanical.

Craftsman
    Had this happen with an Aqua Terra Quartz. Bought as a grab and go but it's just so comfortable on the wrist it was worn almost all of last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    How long does it take to set a watch, a minute?
    Depends if you're OCD like me and that the minutes hand has to line up exactly and the seconds hand must be bang on 12 when I push the crown in. The curses at each repeat atempt when I'm a second out or the minutes hand jumps as i push the crown home has Lynn in stitches at times.

And that's with my normal hacking watches. It's even more crazy with my Seiko's which have to be back wound to hold the seconds hand at 12.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Depends if you're OCD like me and that the minutes hand has to line up exactly and the seconds hand must be bang on 12 when I push the crown in. The curses at each repeat atempt when I'm a second out or the minutes hand jumps as i push the crown home has Lynn in stitches at times.

And that's with my normal hacking watches. It's even more crazy with my Seiko's which have to be back wound to hold the seconds hand at 12.
    Sorry to go off topic slightly but this is exactly me.

Hate it when the minute hand jumps a bit when you push the crown in so the minute hand ends up mid minute when seconds is at zero. Usually takes a few attempts, ironically on the oh so solid and dependable Rolex sub.

I have two non hacking/ manual wind watches which can end up taking less time to set due to less minute hand jump. I tend to use the wait for time to catch up (when watch dead) before winding like mad to set the seconds, rather than back winding!

I’ve thought about wearing a cheaper quartz more often and I have a few, but quite like all the fiddling about tbh😀😀

Ps the minute hand jump can occur on quartz too so that can take a few goes too!!

Master
    It’s also a lot easier when you have non-date mechanicals and autos - in my case a Speedmaster and Tudor Black Bay. Having to adjust a date function as well as set the time to the exact second is a right faff on.

Craftsman
    I had a Sinn EZM-2 as a grab and go. For about 6 months that was all I wore. Then started rotating again. But I kept coming back to it.

What happened next is what generally happens with this hobby, something "nice" pops up on Sales Corner and in a flash it was gone.

This was truly a go anywhere - do anything watch. Miss it.

I'm on an expensive watch hiatus due to boring investment property shennanigans so I'm exclusively wearing grab and go quartz! I rotate between CWC G10, GShock square atomic, Casio F-91w and an old school Swatch. It's no hardship but an expensive mechanical is hopefully not far off. When it lands I will most likely continue my quartz rotation and only wear the mechanical in the house and on special occasions.

Master

This is me on a Monday morning

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Takes me at least 2 minutes to set a watch as i set it bang on the second then wait a minute to press the log entry on watch check on my phone to track my watches accuracy.

Being a little annoyed at accuracy being out above 15 seconds my automatics dont tend to last more than a day before moving onto another one or a quartz. My affordables are rarely accurate enough to carry over a couple of days or so.

Master
    I'm with Murray Mint. I wear a CWC diver's quartz but went to a birthday party last night and wore my 22545000 Seamaster. I couldn't wait to get home today and get the CWC back on.
    I love the SMP and wore it daily for 10 years till April when I finally got my CWC - nothing fancy, no date, brushed not polished, standard Admiralty grey NATO but I love it.
    I work in the City ( not a "city boy" though) and I see Subs and GMTs every day. I have not seen a single CWC...

Journeyman

Quartz grab & go

Agree. I have an oris aquis and recently purchased the prs-18 cosc. Can’t take the precista off my wrist, although I can’t decide whether it works with a formal work shirt

EZM2

I like quartz.

Last edited by quietly; 26th May 2018 at 20:04.

Quartz grab & go

In 14 years of buying/selling/collecting, I’ve always gone with mechanical watches.

The watch that introduced me to the virtues of ‘grab ‘n go quartz’ was the Bulova Moonwatch. I now own three Bulova high performance quartz watches, having added a Stars & Stripes Chronograph C and a grey Lobster to the collection.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCWCDeskDiver View Post
    I'm with Murray Mint. I wear a CWC diver's quartz but went to a birthday party last night and wore my 22545000 Seamaster. I couldn't wait to get home today and get the CWC back on.
    I love the SMP and wore it daily for 10 years till April when I finally got my CWC - nothing fancy, no date, brushed not polished, standard Admiralty grey NATO but I love it.
    I work in the City ( not a "city boy" though) and I see Subs and GMTs every day. I have not seen a single CWC...
    I spotted someone on the northern line last week with a CWC quartz on. It was a very rare spot! You are right, these stand out more to a trained eye than a sub any day due to the rarity! It was like the time I spotted a well used PRS18q on the district line...a notable event.

This is why you and I both need a Glashütte Original Senator Chronometer - upon pulling out the crown, the seconds hand jumps to 12, and the minute hand only moves in 6° increments, i.e. from minute marker to minute marker. Utterly perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    Every time I wear my CWC quartz diver I wonder why I have any other watches.
    I was thinking the same when I dusted off the CWC SBS diver for the holidays. I seem to recall that came from you!

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    I spotted a well used PRS18q on the district line...a notable event.
    Are you sure it was an 18q and not a 93?
    I do love the sbs. I have a few quartz iterations . They are very solid dependable things and although not a small watch, sit very well on the wrist.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    I spotted someone on the northern line last week with a CWC quartz on. It was a very rare spot! You are right, these stand out more to a trained eye than a sub any day due to the rarity! It was like the time I spotted a well used PRS18q on the district line...a notable event.
    I'm often on the Northern line with a CWC...!

Quartz are now my most worn watches.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Bought a Bulova moon watch after the Norwich GTG. Now my go to and most worn watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin67 View Post
    Bought a Bulova moon watch after the Norwich GTG. Now my go to and most worn watch.
    Hi. What's your impression of the watch so far as I've liked the look of them since they were released if you don't mind me asking please?
    I think I like it on the fabric strap than the metal but never saw one in the wild perhaps because there are too expensive?
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Mine today.

Quote Originally Posted by Humptynumpty View Post
    Hi. What's your impression of the watch so far as I've liked the look of them since they were released if you don't mind me asking please?
    I think I like it on the fabric strap than the metal but never saw one in the wild perhaps because there are too expensive?
    Thanks
    Really excellent watches and great value for money in my opinion.

I agree with you - personally I don't think they look 'right' on bracelets. Also be aware that the steel bracelet version does not have exactly the same lug mountings as the strap version, so fitting a strap to the steel bracelet version afterwards is apparently very difficult.

I own the strap version, which comes with a carbon fibre-pattern leather strap as well as the nylon strap with a mission patch. Both work well although I currently have it on a watchgecko fabric strap as seen here.

If you bought one at a reasonable price I doubt you would be disappointed.

Simon

Ever since it arrived, i have worn my A-13A more than any other watch. Probably more than 50% of the time.
    Dave

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Humptynumpty View Post
    Thanks

I really like the supplied strap and have never felt the need to change it. Like you, I've never seen one on a bracelet and I've not tried it on the NATO it comes with either.
    I think Mycroft and I are of the same opinion in that they are a great watch and good value for money.
    It's worth looking around as I picked mine up from Amazon when they had them on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I'm often on the Northern line with a CWC...!
    I might have to say hello next time I spot the watch... I could then again make a fool of myself!! :-D

Master
    I keep looking at the Bulova, seriously considered trying one out until I noticed it was 44mm... too big for my puny wrists unfortunately. I can only just manage a Speedmaster so no chance with one of these.

Master
    I can easily identify with this, got a Bulova and thought cool, then got hold of a TAG Aquaracer with alarm. mon to fri work watch i sold it to myself as. And apart from a very few days its been on my wrist since January!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    There is something to be said for the convenience of any quartz watch and then there are the quartz watches that are a little more special whether they are offering extra features, better finishing, higher accuracy or any combination of these. I have done a full circle and now appreciate a watch as a whole rather than ignore non mechanical ones as inferior.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies guys.

Master
    Wear one of these most days as they never need adjusting.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Are you sure it was an 18q and not a 93?
    I do love the sbs. I have a few quartz iterations . They are very solid dependable things and although not a small watch, sit very well on the wrist.
    Couldn't agree with you more, fantastic watch these, very comfy to wear, perfect size and doesn't sit high on your wrist.1527698821682.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app