closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Aggressive Cows? (Bovine type)

Craftsman

Aggressive Cows? (Bovine type)

So this evening I learned something new. Cows can be rather aggressive.

I live in the countryside and have many times walked through fields of cows with no issue. Tonight, I took my dogs for a walk near my parents house and the final part of the walk is crossing a field. Sometimes it has cows in it, sometimes it doesn't. I put the dogs on their leads and proceeded to the gate, which we have done on previous occasions. The cows saw us and came over, but I really didn't think anything of it. As we started walking through, they followed me and clearly didn't like the dogs, even though they werent doing anything other than pulling on the leads to get away from the cows.

The cows circled us and started trying to head butt me and the dogs. I let the dogs leads go, so they could get away. I got headbutted by a cow in the leg which gave me a dead leg.

We are all fine, dogs got pushed around a bit and are covered in cows dung.

I am wondering if the cows were dairy previously and these are specifically for beef as I have walked through many times previously both as a kid and adult.
    Doing a bit of research online tonight turned this up https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ear...-kill-him.html

Will possibly think twice about doing it again.

There are occasional fatalities. I remember a farmer being killed by his own herd a year or three ago. Unpredictable. Dogs definitely wouldn't help.

“I got headbutted by a cow“.

Probably my weird sense of humour but that did make me laugh, thank you.

Craftsman
    Hehe, I will save it for a "insignificant things about you" thread :)

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    “I got headbutted by a cow“.

Probably my weird sense of humour but that did make me laugh, thank you.

Grand Master
    I lived down the road from that attack, as with many attacks, they tend to be dog walkers, where the herd get scared of the dog, or are protecting calves, simplest solution is to avoid any cattle if you have a dog, way too risky with animals that are quite big and quick as well.

Blog Entries
    Just be thankful that most cows in the UK don't have horns....

Master
    I live in rural Somerset and have been around cattle for most of my life, mostly without incident. Many are curious but keep a distance, but they are definitely attracted to dogs, probably driven by an instinct to protect to the herd from predators.

I am more wary of younger bullocks who can become agitated and boisterous.

Master
    About 15 years ago, I had a scary cow experience too but thankfully no way near as bad as the OP.

I used to live in a small town. Once after a longhaul flight, by the time I got to my train station it was fairly late, must have been past 11pm. There were no taxis outside the station and I didn’t fancy calling and waiting for one. Saw it as an opportunity to save some pennies, being young and on a modest income. There was a shortcut to the town centre, a path through the fields that saved a substantial amount of time. There were always cows in the fields but I never thought anything of it. On that dark night, as I was dragging my suitcase, two of them started following me. I got nervous and stopped to look back. That’s when they charged towards me. Terrified, dropped the suitcase and completely froze. Didn’t know what to do. They got pretty close then suddenly stopped, turned back and “calmly” walked away from me. I probably wouldn’t have been found until the morning had something bad happened. Don’t know if it was the noise of suitcase wheels on the tarmac path that upset them. I still shiver when I remember that night.

Two things changed after that: a) I stopped using that shortcut after dark; and b) I began to enjoy beef a lot more. Feels like I’m getting back at them

Having been around cows for a lot of my early years there's something you're taught very early, don't turn your back on a cow especially if you feel threatened. Always face them and generally they will walk around you.

Blog Entries
    There is a 'common' near us popular with dog walkers. This time of year the cattle arrive for a few months. I normally avoid it then and stick to routes on farmland I have access to. Last week I was intending to cut across the corner of it to get to a particular route.
    I saw a man with his dog being followed closely by the herd in there. He was heading for one of the clumps of trees and stood with his back to it while his dog avoided the cattle on it's own. Thinking it might be someone who was nervous around them, I walked towards them to lend some support. He then started to walk towards me and the gate, as the cattle began to disperse as they saw me with some heading towards me and some remaining where they were. He seemed relieved to be away from them, perhaps more than he let on!
    The cattle are all males, and are raised for beef I believe. I think it's mostly just being inquisitive and although I'm not scared of them as such they are a large beast and I think discretion is sensible.

Grand Master
    Even at the age of 60 I’m still quick on my feet when I have to be...........and I never enjoy walking near cows, I just don’t trust the big bovine bastards. Once they start running towards me I’m up on my toes! Bullocks are a bit like adolescent teenagers, clumsy and stupid, but potentially threatening in a group.

Seriously, I think dogs and cows are a bad combination. The very presence of a dog seems to spook them, and once they’re upset you’re better not being near them.

You needed to moooove a bit faster.

Hoof let the cows out?!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    As with others was around cattle for a good few years when working on the farm. If they have calves or very near calving they can be protective. Some dogs seem to trigger them into being more aggressive but not all. Always found especially with the young bullocks, you had to watch them as you walked away as they loved to charge you but as soon as you turned round they bottled it. Sorest thing is usually when they stand on your feet.
    As these were highland cows they only injury I got was when putting them in, one stubborn one kept lowering its head at me so I stupidly grabed the horn to push it aside ( ooer missus) and it ragdolled me for about 30 secs. Farmer couldn't stop laughing.
    Bulls however are a different story.

Aggressive Cows? (Bovine type)

Not the same thing strictly but at my house in India, last year there was a juvenile bull that everyday early morning would come and piss all over the front of our driveway and wreck the plants in the front. So one day I waited for it and chased it away with a stick.

That same morning me and the wife decided to take a walk and the same bull saw me from a distant and headed over, the wife spotted it first, it went past the wife and headed for me, I basically ran with this thing chasing me, wife laughing her head off.

Anyway, the thing is now allowed to piss on our driveway, apparently according to the wife it’s a blessing!
    Last edited by IAmATeaf; 25th May 2018 at 10:51.

Cows are big old beasts and whilst domesticated, they still display traits of wild animals. They are generally inquisitive and will come up as a group to check you out.

Cows at this time of year will protect their calves and you should avoid walking with a dog in fields if cows and calves are present. Young bullocks (castrated bulls) which are raised for meat are generally a bit more lively as they are younger and are full of testosterone. They will charge but it’s bravado and they will either stop or turn before they get to you. Standing your ground and facing them is the best idea. Think of young bullocks as teenage boys, full of hormones and energy.

As has been mentioned cows can and do kill people. Here in Northern Ireland there was a recent TV advert reminding farmers not to turn their backs on cows during the calving period.

Provided you apply some common sense, keep dogs out of fields with calves, then I wouldn’t worry.

If you do end up in a field with a bull, don’t turn your back on it but slowly and calmly walk straight to the nearest gate or fence and get out of the field. I was brought up on a beef farm and have plenty of experience with cattle but unless I knew the temperament of a bull, I would not be in the same field or pen as it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    I got headbutted by a cow...
    That was just an Aberdeen kiss....
    Last edited by Motman; 25th May 2018 at 08:37.

Probably 'roid rage' due to the amount of steroids they give non organic Cattle, distract them by throwing some Protein bars in their direction and making your escape.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    Cows are big old beasts and whilst domesticated, they still display traits of wild animals. They are generally inquisitive and will come up as a group to check you out.

Cows at this time of year will protect their calves and you should avoid walking with a dog in fields if cows and calves are present. Young bullocks (castrated bulls) which are raised for meat are generally a bit more lively as they are younger and are full of testosterone. They will charge but it’s bravado and they will either stop or turn before they get to you. Standing your ground and facing them is the best idea. Think of young bullocks as teenage boys, full of hormones and energy.

As has been mentioned cows can and do kill people. Here in Northern Ireland there was a recent TV advert reminding farmers not to turn their backs on cows during the calving period.

Provided you apply some common sense, keep dogs out of fields with calves, then I wouldn’t worry.

If you do end up in a field with a bull, don’t turn your back on it but slowly and calmly walk straight to the nearest gate or fence and get out of the field. I was brought up on a beef farm and have plenty of experience with cattle but unless I knew the temperament of a bull, I would not be in the same field or pen as it.
    Thanks, thats helpful. I did consider whether to cross the field or not. It was a 3 mile walk the other way and would soon have been getting dark.
    Considering what could have happened, perhaps that was a better option.

I actually thought that turning my back and appearing non threatening would have been better. I know better now, although I doubt we will be going on that walk again for a while :)

My grandfather and father ( both used to large horses) were walking through a field of their friends with a bull in it although in the far off corner which they knew, half way through the bull charged them, my grandfather lifted my father into a tree and picked up a fallen branch and thumped it over the head just as it reached them then stepped out of the way, a dazed looking bull shook its head and walked off, the farmer said that they had let out some calf’s into the next field and that was the only explanation he could give

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    I had forgotten how good Withnail and I was.
    I will dig it out this evening.

Master
    Sounds like a load of bullocks to me.

Cheers
    Neil

Master
    Every couple of years a walker gets killed by cows up here, people get far to complacent around them at this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Somewhere near Chatworth…. Me and my mates got chased by a massive Hurd of cows with calves….

My mate had his boxer and bravely he dived over the stone wall first leaving me to heave his dog over the wall!

It was quite a scary moment as they were behaving really aggressively...

I’ve been through plenty of fields with cows since, but, pick my path carefully and always tuck the boys (my small dogs) up under my arms

Craftsman
    Never run away or the cows will also run; something that large and heavy cannot always stop quickly. This happens quite often just walk calmly towards them and their timid nature means they will stop.

Diary or suckler cows with calves will protect their young, if you have a dog you will get their attention.
    Young males are curious and will come close and have a lick, usually quite friendly.
    Dairy bulls are known to be aggressive and I think by law are not allowed to be in fields with footpaths unless they are with cows because of their temperament.
    Beef bulls are generally pretty good to be around.

Loved working with cows, fantastic animals and we never had any problems with them but we would never ever go walking in a field with a bull unless we were with someone else, that was a hard and fast rule.

We got “attacked” a couple of years ago walking through a field. Cows charged at us and we ran. I had to drop the leads. Alfie did a runner and laid upside down in a cow pat. Lola (German Shepherd) went mental and had a go at the leader. We ended up escaping through some woods. It was pretty scary. So was the drive home with this in my car

Andy

When I was younger I used to shoot cows in the arse with the black widow and marbles,was funny at the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember as a student laying down in a field of cows. They’d come over and lick us.

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post

A lot of sense there. But steers arent full of testosterone, they were, but not after their balls are gone, so they are as easy as the cows to manage - leaving them later to castrate and then you have more fun working with them in the pens though! A bull whip helps sometimes when moving the full grown bulls.

We raise cows for beef on the farms, and my grandfather fattened up bullocks at his farm when we were growing up in NI. Our cows are fine as they have a lot of human interaction, some that don’t are more feral - but if they are aggressive it’s because they are being protective. They can be very wary of dogs, and we have had some serious injuries caused by neighbouring dogs.

herding them and moving them from paddock to paddock on the motorbikes is one of my favourite hobbies.

Last edited by Omegamanic; 28th May 2018 at 16:50.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    That was just an Aberdeen kiss....
    Outside the kebab shop lol

Craftsman
    That bike looks very clean, are you sure you drive it through fields with cows in them? :p

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    A lot of sense there. But steers arent full of testosterone, they were, but not after their balls are gone, so they are as easy as the cows to manage - leaving them later to castrate and then you have more fun working with them in the pens though! A bull whip helps sometimes when moving the full grown bulls.

We raise cows for beef on the farms, and my grandfather fattened up bullocks at his farm when we were growing up in NI. Our cows are fine as they have a lot of human interaction, some that don’t are more feral - but if they are aggressive it’s because they are being protective. They can be very wary of dogs, and we have had some serious injuries caused by neighbouring dogs.

herding them and moving them from paddock to paddock on the motorbikes is one of my favourite hobbies.