closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Cruiser Motorcyclists Here......?

Any Cruiser Motorcyclists Here......?

Well, I've been a biker most of my life and have always had a tendency to choose sportier bikes - my current bike is a CBR600F, which I don't think I'll ever part with, just because it's such good fun and nimble when the mood suits.

As I am getting a bit older, the thought of having a tourquey cruiser really appeals to me. I don't plan on getting one immediately, but within the next 12-18 months I hope to make a purchase. Like a lot of things, the thrill is in the chase and I intend on doing as much fact finding and research in the meantime.

The long-term plan is to go touring around parts of Europe with said bike.

So, I was hoping you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts, experiences and recommendations with me as I go in hunt of my future machine.

Do you mean cruiser or tourer? In my experience the sitting position on a cruiser doesn’t really work on long distance touring (there are exceptions like the Guzzi California of old, when your legs are not too much forward to allow your legs to act as shock absorbers rather than let that job to your arse.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Do you mean cruiser or tourer? In my experience the sitting position on a cruiser doesn’t really work on long distance touring (there are exceptions like the Guzzi California of old, when your legs are not too much forward to allow your legs to act as shock absorbers rather than let that job to your arse.
    For touring this ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Cruiser position puts too much weight on lower back.

Pop down to your nearest Triumph Motorcycle dealers. The brand has become much more innovative over the last 5 years and they have a range of head down arse up recers, through to bobbers with 27” seat height.

They also have some big torqy twins with full luggage so you could consider these for touring. Be aware big tourers will be significantly heavier than your Honda600, lower centre of gravity yes, but heavy beasts.

Good luck with your research

I ride Harley street bob which fits the cruiser title but I wouldn't personally want to tour on it. Anything over a hundred miles or so and the vibrations and lack of wind protection takes it toll.

Noted guys thanks so far.

I guess I should explain further. The primary use of the bike will be used to have fun day trips locally (quite hilly, twisty roads), although I hope to do an EU tour in the not too distant future.

Journeyman
    I have a number of motorcycles but If I'm going touring into Spain or further , my go to bike is a harley davidson sportster.
    The most inappropriate bike for long distance touring, but watching the world go by at 60 mph is plenty fast enough and the sheer enjoyment I get from riding that bike is priceless.
    Touring is about the journey, the destination is irrelevant.

Previously I have ridden France top to bottom just to get to Spain in about 11 hours.

Choose a bike you enjoy riding.

Had an old evo engined Harley Electra glide which i toured France on. Sold it a couple years ago because i got fed up with the weight.

Also have a 1978 Moto Guzzi california which i've taken down to Spain/Portugal and was very comfortable.

Also use an 1150GS for fast cruising in comfort. London to Morrocco in 2 days riding through France and Spain. Couldn't do that on the Harley or Guzzi in that time.

You can use anything as long as you have a comfy seat.
    The harley and GS both had Corbin seats.
    I didn't need to change the Guzzi seat as it's comfortable over long distances unlike the harley and GS original seats.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    I have a number of motorcycles but If I'm going touring into Spain or further , my go to bike is a harley davidson sportster.
    The most inappropriate bike for long distance touring, but watching the world go by at 60 mph is plenty fast enough and the sheer enjoyment I get from riding that bike is priceless.
    Touring is about the journey, the destination is irrelevant.

Previously I have ridden France top to bottom just to get to Spain in about 11 hours.

Choose a bike you enjoy riding.
    Great post! Thanks. I'm like you, if I wanted comfort I would have bought a Multistrada or BMW GS. I bought my CBR because it gives me such a smile, especially slinging it around the twisties at 40-60mph.

My best mate yesterday bought Harley Sportster 1200xl and I'm yet to see it. I'm yet to sit on a growler and try it out, but I'm looking forward to see how I get on.

Anyone experienced the Honda VTX, Kawasaki VN?

Journeyman
    Ive had several cruisers over the last 25 years and love the way they ride.
    Past Yamaha’s:- Xvs 535 virago, xvs 650 and 950 midnight star.
    Current:- Harley Breakout

Used the yammys for commuting mainly but for motorway or longer distances a screen makes a huge difference to prevent fatigue. I think it ruins the look of the bike tho, so I’ve always had clip off ones and only used them for longer/ motorway journeys.

Master
    I recently borrowed a Triumph America for a few days.... and after a lifetime of sports and sports tourer style bikes, I found it quite agreeable...

Comfy, plenty of torque, and a nice relaxed feel about it....

i have a speed triple , its the perfect mix of sports /tourer - tons of torque on tap and still good on the corners when needed.
    i gave up on sports position bikes when my back started playing up , theres lots out there these days with plenty of grunt and an upright seating position ( spped /street triple , mt09 /10 , gsx/s etc ).

i went for the triple as ive never owned one before - with arrow cans it was worth buying just for the exhaust note :)

*mates bobber in the foreground with speed triple

Last edited by pugster; 7th January 2018 at 21:12.

Cruiser type bikes are ok for about 200 mile days.
    Much more, and they become a bit of a pain, especially if you're north of 55 years or so.
    Look for a more upright riding position, risers if you you want more of a laid back ride, but if you have the ability and desire to ride at a good pace, then upright, slightly canted forward is the way to go. Lookup Renthal Ultralows for an idea? As someone's already said, Street Triple's ideal. Low weight, comfortable, with real punch when you need it..

Grand Master
    I ride a bagger, having had most all everything else its where I now find the perfect combination off comfort, speed, practicality, and pleasure
    RIAC

I have several bikes and would choose the quirky BMW R1200c independent as a cruiser
    Getting harder to find a nice one but they last forever and you won't see too many others
    Like this one
    Last edited by GOAT; 7th January 2018 at 20:40.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post
    I ride Harley street bob which fits the cruiser title but I wouldn't personally want to tour on it. Anything over a hundred miles or so and the vibrations and lack of wind protection takes it toll.
    My FXDX was great for mile munching, probably the comfiest bike I've owned, done Ullapool in the Scottish Highlands back home to Lancashire in relative comfort a few times.

I got a lot of leg pain when touring on a lot of other bikes, but the forward controls seemed to help on the Harley.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Matt68; 7th January 2018 at 21:40.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    My FXDX was great for mile munching, probably the comfiest bike I've owned, done Ullapool in the Scottish Highlands back home to Lancashire in relative comfort a few times.

I got a lot of leg pain when touring on a lot of other bikes, but the forward controls seemed to help on the Harley.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    seconded.had one for 10yds and did 68k on it. brilliant tourer , mostly two up too . now ride a bmw r1200rs; another great tourer.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    10yrs! 10yds ffs!🤣

Grand Master

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Have a Street Bob, great cruiser and many smiles to the gallon! Wouldn't want to tour on it though. Thinking of buying something else for longer journeys this year.

Some great bikes!!!

Love it!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

Loving the look of that, baggers do have a certain naughty style. What height are the apes on that one?
    Ian

Grand Master
    16’s and totally internal including brake and clutch so no wires or cables at all. Not seen another Harley done lien this yet and after doing it I know why!

RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    i have a speed triple , its the perfect mix of sports /tourer - tons of torque on tap and still good on the corners when needed.
    i gave up on sports position bikes when my back started playing up , theres lots out there these days with plenty of grunt and an upright seating position ( spped /street triple , mt09 /10 , gsx/s etc ).

i went for the triple as ive never owned one before - with arrow cans it was worth buying just for the exhaust note :)

*mates bobber in the foreground with speed triple

They’re doing some great things with old CX500/650s, that one looks very good!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Have a Street Bob, great cruiser and many smiles to the gallon! Wouldn't want to tour on it though. Thinking of buying something else for longer journeys this year.
    I've got a stage 3 on mine so does about 8mpg (slight exaggeration but you get the point). As for the emissions.......

I think the FXDB is a bit more of upright seating position so I find my lower back starts to give in after 100 miles or so (along with the required fuel stop!)

Someone said triumph so.... here's my 97 triple roadster
    It is my first and only bike and it is great for cruising. Every 100 miles I have to take a break because my butt hurts but that is ok as I also run short of fuel so a fill up stop is mandatory.
    Tank full of gas, belly full of coffe, emptybladder and I am all good to go.
    Damn, they thought of everything!

Craftsman

Slightly different version of a cruiser, Harley Davison Night Rod Special. No longer in my ownership, I had it for 6 years covering 17,000 miles as a weekend toy. Enjoyed every single minute of it.
    Probably not everyone’s cup of tea but to me it looked & sounded “the dogs danglies “ and always drew a crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    They’re doing some great things with old CX500/650s

Aren`t they just...

eg: Laerdals tunnel, Norway, 14 miles in length (pre FFE);

Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 6th February 2018 at 22:02.

I have a 2001 Harley FXDX and a 2013 Yamaha XT1200 Super Tenure.
    Love the Harley to bits. Done a lot of personalising over the last 7 years. Wide single seat and I find it comfy enough for day rides.
    But as mentioned having no wind protection it can be tiring on the motorway but is surprisingly good good in the twisties.
    Without doubt the most enjoyable bike of the 50 odd bikes I've owned over the last 35 years. The look the sound and feel of the bike is like no other.

The XT is a physically large bike with a parallel twin 1200c motor. I fitted a taller screen (I'm 6 3) and I find it to be a serious mile muncher in any conditions.

https://imgur.com/s1OmvnX

https://imgur.com/OQWhzdn
    Last edited by scrog10; 9th January 2018 at 13:51.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Aren`t they just...
    This thing is a feet-forward funny front-ended laid back mile-munching prize-winning stealth weapon that has seen some serious daily mileages and has been all over Europe and beyond on many an occasion.

WTF???

Looks a bit like a quasar without the bodywork.

And about a mile long!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    WTF???

I know, fckn horrible, isn't it!!

Honestly, if you saw me riding down the road on that thing you'd think I would be the last person to be wearing an AP ROO would'nt you?

......and you'd be right, I don't own an AP ROO...

I must admit, it may be fantastic fun to ride and highly capable but a looker it’s not

Blog Entries
    I've got a stage 3 on mine so does about 8mpg (slight exaggeration but you get the point). As for the emissions.......

I think the FXDB is a bit more of upright seating position so I find my lower back starts to give in after 100 miles or so (along with the required fuel stop!)
    Mine has K&N air filter, active exhaust valve removed so permanent 2 into 2 exhausts, Vance and Hines straightshots (without quiet baffle!) and Vance and Hines Fuelpak engine mapping. Nothing like a stage 3 I wouldn't think but has a real rumble and has plenty of grunt. The Fuelpak made a huge difference. Thinking of putting either Short Shots or Big Radius 2-2 later this year.

Blog Entries
    16’s and totally internal including brake and clutch so no wires or cables at all. Not seen another Harley done lien this yet and after doing it I know why!

Wow can't believe I never noticed the internals on the first photo! Looks really clean and I can imagine the work involved. All the black gives it a real nice look as well.
    Thinking of putting some Paughco pre-wired drag bars on my Bob just leaving the cables.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post

Slightly different version of a cruiser, Harley Davison Night Rod Special. No longer in my ownership, I had it for 6 years covering 17,000 miles as a weekend toy. Enjoyed every single minute of it.
    Probably not everyone’s cup of tea but to me it looked & sounded “the dogs danglies “ and always drew a crowd.

Always liked the look of the 'V rods' do they go and handle well in real life? Never ridden one only seen them about.

Yes I like the VRods - design by Porsche I believe...

Bit O/T but has anyone ever imported a bike from the USA? Would really appreciate your input ref: cost, hassle, duty, insurances, problems encountered.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Aren`t they just...
    This thing is a feet-forward funny front-ended laid back mile-munching prize-winning stealth weapon that has seen some serious daily mileages and has been all over Europe and beyond on many an occasion.

I feel a horrible fascination looking at this bike. I've never seen anything like it....

Craftsman

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Always liked the look of the 'V rods' do they go and handle well in real life? Never ridden one only seen them about.
    They perform well above other Harleys owing to the Porsche designed engine, but not up to Japanese race bike standards.

Handling is great in a straight line as it`s a long wheelbase , as for corners - think HGV, slow & wide.

That said, I`d have another

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post

Nice Porsche
    RIAC

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I would second what Saint Just has advised. Touring and cruising are not necessarily the same. A cruiser to my mind is a Harley type machine, dressed up and for posing on. My son has a Harley 48, not a real cruiser I suppose, but the feet forward position just doesnt do it for me. Its uncomfortable, doesnt give confidence cornering, and after a short (80 miles) distance my hips ache badly.

I have done the south of france on 2 what I would call tourers though. First time on a ZZR1100 with a bit of basic luggage, and then on a Pan Euro 1100. The ZZR is probably more of a sports tourer, fast, read very fast, comfy for long distances, handled ok back in the day, stopped well and had decent fuel economy if you werent thrashing it. If it had proper luggage like fixed panniers it would have been superb. The Honda ST1100 was again different. Effortless, smooth, really economical, totally comfortable and with full luggage.

Out of the modern day stuff i’d be looking at a ST1300, FJR, or the Triumph sprint for European stuff if daily high mile munching is the order of the day. For me personally, the idea of going far on a feet forward machine just puts me of riding. Horses for courses I suppose.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Not really a cruiser as such, but here's my customised 48. I made the switch from sports bikes a few years ago and couldn't be happier.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    New Kawa H2 SX SE. All you will need as a sports tourer.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Has a rear end reminiscent of the new QE a/c carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I feel a horrible fascination looking at this bike. I've never seen anything like it....

I do have a sensible bike, too..
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 6th February 2018 at 22:03.

Quote Originally Posted by dougjb View Post
    Not really a cruiser as such, but here's my customised 48. I made the switch from sports bikes a few years ago and couldn't be happier.

That's the Harley I'm looking at right now, love the 48. Looks like you've spent a few quid?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    That's the Harley I'm looking at right now, love the 48. Looks like you've spent a few quid?
    Unfortuntely I have! Off the top of my head there's about 3.5k in mods on there. The 48 is a cracking bike as standard, but with a few mods it's an absolute stunner IMO. I just bought a replacement tank and had it sprayed matte black - can't decide whether or not to fit it! Also tempted to swap out the drag bars for some mini apes this year, just for change. That's the problem with customising these - once you start, it's dangerously addictive!

Master

Is that you or Jeremy Paxman in the reflection, Kerry? ;)

You are officially insane. In a good way.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Once again I'm speechless.... (wow!)
    Last edited by JonRA; 10th January 2018 at 07:56.

Grand Master
    The 48 is a great Harley to start out on and you should find a fair few that are ore owned and have has a bit spent on them that you can pick up for reasonable dough.
    Me and all my mates ride Harley’s and we have most all had a 48 or similar at some point.

RIAC

Journeyman
    What the bejesus is that thing ?