closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Computer says "NO" any advice please, computer won't start following update

Computer says "NO" any advice please, computer won't start following update

Little collective help please.
    HP computer 2 years old running Windows 10, it just uploaded the latest update now wont start.

i turn it on, it opens, asks for login password then gets stuck in a look desktop shows then black screen, then desktop again and thats as far as it gets.

If i remember there is a way to start in "safe mode?" by holding a ket or two when it starts? can i then go back to before the update?

any help appreciated please.

Justin44

Known fault from latest W10 update. Does not effect all machines. Plenty of advice if you can borrow an unaffected machine and log on to MS W10 website.

Yup, it seems I’m not alone and as I don’t have a bott up disk I am officially shafted.

How can a company get away with this, they load an update on my computer that now means I have to pay a third party to fix it?

Or do I just go buy a Mac?

Whilst computer is booting up tap f8 numerous times to get into safe mode.

Defenestrate it.

Craftsman
    There are lots of ways to get into safe mode and recovery.
    Take a look here https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-wa...ode-windows-10

I think the easiest one is the 4 failed boots will automatically take you in there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Defenestrate it.
    Brilliant :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Whilst computer is booting up tap f8 numerous times to get into safe mode.
    Rod, this doesn't work in Windows 10. Just keep booting it until you get to 'Automatic Repair' and follow the prompts from there to get into Safe Mode. Uninstall the offending update.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Rod, this doesn't work in Windows 10. Just keep booting it until you get to 'Automatic Repair' and follow the prompts from there to get into Safe Mode. Uninstall the offending update.
    Oh right! thanks, I didn't know that as I've never used it in 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Oh right! thanks, I didn't know that as I've never used it in 10.
    I found this out the hard way a couple of years ago. It's a bit of a backward step in my view as it makes it a more prolonged process to get to Safe Mode if you can't fully boot the machine.

Well I’m not sure how I did it but. Left it working on its own all day and some how it managed to start and actually boot up. I copied all my files then managed to do a restore to a previous version. Now waiting for Apple to update their Mac mini so I can buy into that fan club.

Master
    Macs are pretty much bulletproof.

Windows I always dona basic install then image the boot device at stable points when I start adding/messing with drivers.

Then once its stable and the hardware all checks out I image again before I start adding software.

Image again once thats all confirmed stable and that way if anything starts acting up I can quickly restore back to a stable configuration.

I used to use TrueImage (years since I had windows). Nowadays I’m sure W10 has its own drive imaging app built in like Time Machine on OSx.

Craftsman
    Microsoft are the biggest bunch of bankers out there, why can they not just properly test a product before releasing it ?

I just want to buy something that works, something that is secure that does not need updating, what is so difficult about that ?

Windows 10 updates have caused serious issues on two of my laptops this year and cost me many hours to sort out. I like to invoice those Microsoft b@stards for my time in trying to sort out their poorly tested product.

I have now disabled the Windows 10 update service on all my laptops to avoid any more grief.

Sods law strikes again ,no sooner finished reading this thread then bingo i get some message about "Whea uncorrectable error" .
    Tried switching it off and on again now there is nothing just a black screen .
    The computer is two days old and has been used for less then 3 hours ,and yep its windows 10 .
    Any help much appreciated .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Yup, it seems I’m not alone and as I don’t have a bott up disk I am officially shafted.

How can a company get away with this, they load an update on my computer that now means I have to pay a third party to fix it?

Or do I just go buy a Mac?
    Yup. Buy a Mac.

Got well fed up with Windows, crappy updates, virus and malware hassles.

Had an I-Mac nearly a year and well pleased with it. 👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    Sods law strikes again ,no sooner finished reading this thread then bingo i get some message about "Whea uncorrectable error" .
    Tried switching it off and on again now there is nothing just a black screen .
    The computer is two days old and has been used for less then 3 hours ,and yep its windows 10 .
    Any help much appreciated .
    If its only two days old and you have nothing of value on it then "nuke and pave".

Do a fresh windows install , then update it. Image the drive.

Install drivers for your hardware. Image the drive ( if something messes up at this stage you can go back to your basic install image , I recommend you reimage after each successful hardware driver install starting with the HDD controller ( if required) then Graphics card , then sound card etc , those are usually the three most critical ones that bugger things up.

Once you are stable with all your hardware drivers you will have a basic hardware install image you can return to if you start adding apps that mess up.

Then start installing your apps. Image again once its stable that way if you do another windows update and it melts down you can restor t the previous install in about 10 minutes.

Have two drive in your machine minumum. One is for the boot and apps , the other one is for your personal data and image files of the boot drive.

That way if your boot drive melts down you can always just buy a new HDD and redeploy the image back to it in 10 minutes and you can access your valuable data. (keep a backup off the machine too someplace)

This is the only way to run a windows install anything else is asking for trouble.

For comparisson I've had three macbook pros since 2007 and I would not go back to windows for love nor money. I have had zero problems with them whereas the wondows machines can barely go a year without something screwing up or becoming unstable because you updated firefox or some bullshit.