closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Kayaking in Criccieth

Kayaking in Criccieth

No, not a tongue twister, just a summing up of yesterday.
    The sun was shining, hardly a breath of wind and the decision was made to pop the inflatable kayak in the van and head off to North Wales, more specifically The Llyn Peninsula. First stop was Trefor, a place I know from diving but the wind was a bit fresh here and blowing into your face as you would launch.
    A quick decision to head to the other side to the town of Criccieth . When I arrived it was delightful. The sea was like a millpond in the bay and was as clear as I’ve ever seen it. I almost threw the dive gear in as well but changed my mind .
    Bad decision, maybe next time
    I parked up on the right of the castle ruins with steps down to a sandy beach , giving way to a rocky shoreline as the tide was low when I arrived . It’s a bit longer to drag the boat but not too far and the boat is light .

Launching was a doddle and I set off across the bay towards Blackrock Sands, a fairly popular spot for windsurfing and kiting. Not today though. I spent an hour or more paddling under the castle and around the rocks hoping for porpoises but it was the wrong time of day for them to be so close .

Back out for a spot of lunch , and a quick chat with the holidaymakers and locals . Stopped at Cadwalladers, a fantastic ice cream shop then off out again .

Snowdonia is a beautiful backdrop and you can always hear, sometimes see the fighters using the airspace .
    Customary watch shot, not that I needed the depth gauge today .
    Finished up and headed back late afternoon. Would’ve liked to have stayed until evening just to get closer to the porpoises but work was beckoning next day .

A great place to go , only a couple of hours away and when you get weather like yesterday , it’s stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Looks like a great day out, beautiful spot. These inflatable canoes are perfect for spontaneous days out, we have spent many happy hours on the river with the kids in our sevylor adventure although not sure how well it would handle on the sea.

Nice pics
    Watch looks good too
    Goat (no relation)

Quote Originally Posted by fierbois16 View Post
    Looks like a great day out, beautiful spot. These inflatable canoes are perfect for spontaneous days out, we have spent many happy hours on the river with the kids in our sevylor adventure although not sure how well it would handle on the sea.
    I used to have a Sevylor sit on top which was brilliant for flat calm waters , almost like one of the new stand up paddle boards that are all the rage.
    This one is an Advanced Elements kayak, really well built, very sturdy and tracks almost like a rigid one . The chap I bought it off was well travelled and even paddled between Lanzarote and Fuerteventura on a few occasions.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app