closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cleaning roof fabric of soft top car

Craftsman

Cleaning roof fabric of soft top car

We recently bought our first rag top. What do those with experience recommend for cleaning the roof fabric; and more importantly, is there anything we should avoid doing/using? Thanks.

Driving through a car wash with the top down is a no no. Apparently.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    I used to use the Autoglym kit (2 bottles and a weird sponge) that was ok. Renovo products are meant to be good too but I've not tried those.

Craftsman
    Renovo Reviver is great, I guess the cleaner would be too.

Master
    Get some of those sticky lint rollers from the pound shop, roll the top to shift all the crap, it’s amazing how much stuff comes off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for the Renovo stuff. I use it on the roof of my VX220 and it always brings it up looking great. Good idea on the lint rollers, will try that next time. Normally I leave it on and give it a good wash. Have used the Autoglym kit in the past too with good results.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tomp View Post
    Another vote for the Renovo stuff. I use it on the roof of my VX220 and it always brings it up looking great. Good idea on the lint rollers, will try that next time. Normally I leave it on and give it a good wash. Have used the Autoglym kit in the past too with good results.
    Works well on my VX220 too, although haven't done it this year.

Craftsman
    I just brought Meguiars Convertible cleaner and waterproof from Amazon.

https://s31.postimg.cc/ux4jw22wb/Capture.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by thfccambs; 24th May 2018 at 12:02.

The key to getting the best results lies in the preparation, ie making sure the material is as clean as possible.

I use soap flakes in water and a slightly abrasive sponge, coupled with a soft-bristled brush for heavy staining. Once I’m happy with that I’ll use Fabsil for the protection. Be aware that Renovo colouring will also colour the stitching.

Seven convertibles over three decades and I’ve never been disappointed, IMO Fabsil is longer-lasting than Renovo’s protector.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Fabsil is a great water repellent for canvas soft tops, done mine few weeks ago, rain just beads and runs off.

I use Renovo every year, first the cleaner, which removes muck, then once completely dry the ultra proofer which re-water proofs it. If your top is really faded, there's also a reviver which you can use in btween the cleaner and proofer, it's basically a paint that recolours the fabric, i've not bothered with that yet.
    If your on a budget, i know of people who swear by johnsons blue baby bath followed by fabsil to reproof.

Another tip is if in a bad state with lots of green growing on it, a strong milton solution can kill off the algae

This is what I used to use on my Porsche hood, it always did a good job. I couldn’t resist a photo and gratuitous Explorer 214270 shot too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Fabsil is a great water repellent for canvas soft tops, done mine few weeks ago, rain just beads and runs off.

I’d agree
    I used to hoover the roof off with a brush on the vacuume then wash it with baby shampoo
    Rinse well with a hose until the water runs clean then lay a couple of old towels over the roof to remove moisture- then I’d paint on 2 coats of fabsil.
    Remove mould or algi with with white vinegar and a nail brush to kill the spores prior to the above

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the tips here, We have a Fiat 500c which has the beige canvas roof so manages to show both dirty black marks and white bleachy marks from Bird poo. Will try the cleaning tape/Baby shampoo and Fabsil method. Where do people get their Fabsil from? Cheers, John B4

Another recommendation for Renevo. The restorer was really good at keeping things looking like new

Any competent hand wash outfit/detailers should be able to clean and proof it back to an original condition, if you fancy DIY this one comes highly recommended

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    I did the wife's golf cabriolet a few weeks back with the autoglym kit and was well impressed with the results, came up great and easy to use.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app