closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updated: Sometimes, it's better to see a watch on the wrist...

Master

Updated: Sometimes, it's better to see a watch on the wrist...

I was out shopping earlier and had the usual quick browse at the watch windows. There's a Rolex AD which you normally have to fight to get a look at the stock, and of course there's never normally anything of interest anyhow. However, tonight there was nobody gawping and they finally had something that caught my eye.

I'd seen pics of this watch, and in a thread on here which I can't find, I think I said I was sceptical about the Rolex crown at the top of the dial, as it seemed at odds with the plain watch it was attached to.

The watch is the Basel 2018 Oyster Perpetual 39mm with "White" dial (looks silver under certain light but I'm yet to see it in the daylight). I asked to see it and really loved it straight away. It's my first light coloured Rolex dial in years and I was really impressed with the dial layout and the luminous markers etc. The Rolex Coronet at 12 is definitely large and does stand out, but it's nowhere near as prominent as the Rolex shots make it look. It actually works rather nicely to break up the markers and allow for easy orientation when reading from the lume in the dark.

Its size is perfect as well; not as chunky as Datejusts and the like, and the white dial sets it apart; apparently they sold a black dial yesterday, but for me, if I wanted a black dial plain Rolex model, I'd just go for the Explorer at a few hundred pounds more.

They do other colours but the grey dial has blue dial dots I don't like, the blue has green dots, the plum isn't a colour I'd go for personally and the green isn't the hue I'd go for either. So really, in this series, the white is what I'd been waiting for. A simple, great all-round watch.

The watch was £4150, which somehow seems reasonable in 2018! They left the stickers on, gave me the warranty card and included a bottle of prosecco for my girlfriend too. So a nice, easy, hassle-free purchase... no drink offered though (Jesting!).

...not the best shot but here it is...

Last edited by W44NNE; 24th May 2018 at 21:18.

......so give us a wrist shot then Wayne !

Classically understated watch - enjoy

I like that a lot - a good size. What's the lume like, please?

That's very nice.
    "A man of little significance"

Very nice.

I’m seriously thinking of swapping my white 16570 for one of these.

Master
    I like that!

Craftsman
    Now there’s a novelty... a nice simple hassle free Rolex purchase...

See it in a window, try it on, have a relaxed chat, ponder a bit, buy it!

Master
    Wrist and lume shot added. In the daylight this morning it looks a lot more pale than I expected. Jeweller's lighting can be so harsh that it made the dial look silver (I bought it at around 21:30 so couldn't see it under natural light), but it's most definitely white.

Blog Entries
    Wayne. That’s a good choice and I agree with your logic. Looks a classic 3 handed design from Rolex with a rock solid movement. More pictures in natural light if you have them!

I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Martyn.

Not a big fan of Rolex in general, but I do like that(no Mercedes hands, no cyclops and genuinely understated). Lovely timeless design, good purchase

Definitely one of my favourite releases from Baselworld this year.

Master
    These and the black dial will sell like hot cakes I think. Modern and fresh but retaining some of the subtlety of the vintage models. I'm not at all surprised that the first two seen on the forum were bought on the spot.

Master
    The fascination with 'sports' models has led to neglect, in forum terms, of other superb models. The OP comes with a few excellent dials, then you have the Datejust, with a massive range of dials and bezels.
    I understand that the womans Datejust is Rolexes biggest seller. Then we have the Millgaus, which has a resemblance to the OP.
    All are excellent watches, without all the overblown hassle of the sports models. Indeed, some versions of the Datejust are probably my favourites.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The fascination with 'sports' models has led to neglect, in forum terms, of other superb models. The OP comes with a few excellent dials, then you have the Datejust, with a massive range of dials and bezels.
    I understand that the womans Datejust is Rolexes biggest seller. Then we have the Millgaus, which has a resemblance to the OP.
    All are excellent watches, without all the overblown hassle of the sports models. Indeed, some versions of the Datejust are probably my favourites.
    I agree, and I’m totally guilty of only going for sports Rolex in the past. I’m still not a massive fan of the DJ, but the OP caught my eye from the beginning, and had the rhodium dial not had the blue dots, I’d have probably gone for it a year or so ago.

Master
    DJ's are far nicer than sports Rolex. That's why they're massively more popular in the real world. It's just internet forums where people are oddly obsessed with the sports range, creating the bubble there is.

Grand Master
    Simple and elegent, I lke it. Best of the modern Rolex models in my opinion although the 36 mm blue dial version would be my choice.

I’m tempted to call that perfection.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    DJ's are far nicer than sports Rolex. That's why they're massively more popular in the real world. It's just internet forums where people are oddly obsessed with the sports range, creating the bubble there is.
    +1.......I think people get drawn into the sports watch thing , and the limited supply situation enhances that. There’s a lot more to watches than divers and chronos, diversity is the key to contentment in my view.

The Datejust’s the quintessestial Rolex in my eyes.......but I prefer the plain Oyster models from the current line up. If it’s the pre-2006 range with slimmer lugs the Datejust wins every time, the modern versions are a better watch in most respects but I prefer the contrasting grained/polished cases and slimmer lugs.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I think it's just an age thing. Younger people ten to be drawn to busier designs and more rugged designs, so Chronos, dive bezels, tackymeters etc. seem more popular. As we get older function tends to be more popular than form, so simpler designs can be more appealing. As a generalisation the internet forums are more widely used by younger folk who like the busier designs, and enthusiasts who like rarity. Many Rolex sports models hit the sweet spot of being not too busy, not too plain, and very collectable.

Perfection for me would be a 39mm Oyster Perpetual, with a Grey Rhodium Dial like the DJ, but like the dateless OP, with a Glidelock clasp.

Craftsman
    Very nice watch

Master
    It's all personal choice, of course, but I think something like this takes a bit of beating
    Plain steel bezel, Jubilee bracelet. The least expensive version. Clean and handsome design,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love the watch. I've been thinking about it too but am yet to see one in the flesh. Good choice!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Hi Wayne, is the dial slightly textured? Hard to tell from the photos. Lovely looking watch through!

Master
    I've seen both the white and black dial versions of these in AD windows and the 36mm black dial too. They are a classy, good-looking albeit quite understated watch that will likely appeal to the individual who wants the brand on their wrist over the person that's played the field a bit more with their watch collection. It's relatively accessible in terms of availability and price for a Rolex but in the cold light of day it's a fair chunk of money for a simple 3-hander watch that isn't trading on the same reputation as the Explorer or Submariner range. I was told the key differences between these and the Explorer relate to the case and bracelet finishing (I was told the brushing is different but not sure it is, certainly the Rolex logo on the clasp is engraved on the OP and applied on the Explorer), the easy-link clasp and the amount of white gold on the dial (ie the Explorer dial is more expensive to produce). I personally appreciate the more subdued case design and finish over the Datejust which I find too shiny and blingy (hence me not lasting long with your green-glass Milgauss some years ago Wayne!).

Certainly what could and will be an only-watch solution for many buyers.

Ant
    Last edited by frp422; 24th May 2018 at 15:16.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I think it's just an age thing. Younger people ten to be drawn to busier designs and more rugged designs, so Chronos, dive bezels, tackymeters etc. seem more popular. As we get older function tends to be more popular than form, so simpler designs can be more appealing. As a generalisation the internet forums are more widely used by younger folk who like the busier designs, and enthusiasts who like rarity. Many Rolex sports models hit the sweet spot of being not too busy, not too plain, and very collectable.

Perfection for me would be a 39mm Oyster Perpetual, with a Grey Rhodium Dial like the DJ, but like the dateless OP, with a Glidelock clasp.
    How old do you think I am?

I'm in my 30's !

I think this and the black version were one of the sleeper releases of this basel, that nobody really paid any attention to but turned out great.

Stunning watch Wayne, totally balanced dial and the Rolex crown logo at 12 is a nice change to a great big white triangle. I will be joining you in the non sports Rolex club very soon...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    ...will likely appeal to the individual who wants the brand on their wrist over the person that's played the field a bit more with their watch collection.
    I wonder if the person who just ‘wants the brand on their wrist’ wouldn’t head for the more obviously recognisable sports watch and / or cyclops if budget allows, rather than choosing one of the more subtle designs in the collection. Sure, it could be a Rolex starter watch, but it might also appeal to those who’ve come full circle and want modern quality and classic style in a package that’s not too loud.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Joppers View Post
    Hi Wayne, is the dial slightly textured? Hard to tell from the photos. Lovely looking watch through!
    Sorry they're just iPhone pics in poor light but no real texture. Very matte and in some lights looks silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    ...Sure, it could be a Rolex starter watch, but it might also appeal to those who’ve come full circle and want modern quality and classic style in a package that’s not too loud.
    Completely the appeal for me :-)

Grand Master
    Some comments on here I agree with, a few that I don't. For a classy understated design this one takes some beating. As for the brushing being different etc, that sounds like the thing a salesperson would say to justify the price differential....likewise with the cost of the dial to produce!

The engraved/embossed logo is an interesting one. Think about it, which will stand up to scratches and marks better....and which will be easier to refinish in the future! Raised logos on clasps are always going to be a problem when they get knocked around and marked, I think the recessed logo is a step forward.

The whole watch is actually far more rugged than the sports models with the exception of water resistance which most of us don`t need to an extreme degree. Every surface on the watch and bracelet is easy to refinish, no expensive bezel insert to worry about and no polished bracelet links that show all the marks. Provided you can live without the date it's a great everyday wearer that's never out of place in any situation.

It ticks the 'having the brand on your wrist' box too; although this will mean different things to different people I think it's a fair comment, people do aspire to own a Rolex and some folks will be happy spending £4K to do so but no more.

If I was to own one watch only, a 36mm Oyster with blue Explorer-style dial would be the one.

Stunning watch congrats on the purchase! Been thinking about suggesting that the wife gets one of these in white also (knowing full well that I’d love to have it in my rotation!).

Such a clean and elegant looking watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Nicely understated, I think the white dial version is the one I prefer too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Even I like it,in fact I like it a lot and I would wear it.

Seems a very good price as well,enjoy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    LOL Only a true WIS would purchase a watch from an AD at that time. Spur of the moment me up! Congratulations that is a nice looking watch. Sometimes less is more.
    Major embellishment of the "I" in "WIS" in my case!!

Thread updated with a natural light photograph and no editing. There's also a quick wristshot video if you head to my Instagram and search for "@watchhobbyist"

Some how I missed that there was a white dial. That is a beauty.

Master
    One major gap in my modest collection is a white-dial. This really does look it would fit the bill - a beauty.

Blog Entries
    Lovely looking watch, if I hadn't gone white with my Exp2 this would be seriously tempting. Love the lume shot btw.

That really is beautiful. Congrats on the purchase!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Some comments on here I agree with, a few that I don't. For a classy understated design this one takes some beating. As for the brushing being different etc, that sounds like the thing a salesperson would say to justify the price differential....likewise with the cost of the dial to produce!

The engraved/embossed logo is an interesting one. Think about it, which will stand up to scratches and marks better....and which will be easier to refinish in the future! Raised logos on clasps are always going to be a problem when they get knocked around and marked, I think the recessed logo is a step forward.

The whole watch is actually far more rugged than the sports models with the exception of water resistance which most of us don`t need to an extreme degree. Every surface on the watch and bracelet is easy to refinish, no expensive bezel insert to worry about and no polished bracelet links that show all the marks. Provided you can live without the date it's a great everyday wearer that's never out of place in any situation.

It ticks the 'having the brand on your wrist' box too; although this will mean different things to different people I think it's a fair comment, people do aspire to own a Rolex and some folks will be happy spending £4K to do so but no more.

If I was to own one watch only, a 36mm Oyster with blue Explorer-style dial would be the one.

Couldn’t agree more. Now if it only had the slim lugs someone else mentioned.

Journeyman
    Classic!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by asmetana View Post

Couldn’t agree more. Now if it only had the slim lugs someone else mentioned.

I’ve got a few files in the garage.......plus the skills to use them

Master
    Super watch, congrats Wayne. Much prefer this and the black dialled versions to some of the other variants. Great size and extremely wearable I'd echo others, a seriously tough to beat all-rounder.

Stunning watch & I love the dial- same dial as the 34mm date. Im really tempted as i dont like datejust white dial with the outer black rim on the white dial & the date at 34mm is too small.

How does it wear in comparisons to the Datejust 41mm?

I find myself in complete agreement with Mr Skinner about the DJ41 and trying something other than the usual sports watches. I took delivery of this today. It was a tough choice between this and a 10 year old Sea-dweller following a bit of a clearout. Having owned a couple of SDs it was time to try something different and the dealer who was selling it wouldn't have taken a watch I wanted to part ex against it, which made the decision a little easier.

Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 25th May 2018 at 20:07.

That’s gorgeous. I’m looking to get that very one as my next purchase. It’s between that and a Sub.

Where it in good health!

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    It's all personal choice, of course, but I think something like this takes a bit of beating
    Plain steel bezel, Jubilee bracelet. The least expensive version. Clean and handsome design,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That’s lovely too. Really nice! Usually prefer the Oyster bracelet but the Jubilee looks great on this

Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    That’s lovely too. Really nice! Usually prefer the Oyster bracelet but the Jubilee looks great on this
    That is an interesting point. You can buy the watch with either an Oyster or jubilee bracelet and either a smooth SS bezel or the fluted white gold bezel.

I was reminded of the old shirt and tie thing, plain shirt with patterned tie or plain tie with patterned shirt. I found this similar. The Oyster bracelet with the fluted bezel looks great as does the jubilee bracelet with the smooth bezel, but the fluted bezel with a jubilee looks way too busy and the Oyster bracelet with the smooth bezel looks a little plain. Hope that makes sense.

Also, the fluted bezel will cost you another £1.3k, which seems quite extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    That is an interesting point. You can buy the watch with either an Oyster or jubilee bracelet and either a smooth SS bezel or the fluted white gold bezel.

I was reminded of the old shirt and tie thing, plain shirt with patterned tie or plain tie with patterned shirt. I found this similar. The Oyster bracelet with the fluted bezel looks great as does the jubilee bracelet with the smooth bezel, but the fluted bezel with a jubilee looks way too busy and the Oyster bracelet with the smooth bezel looks a little plain. Hope that makes sense.

Also, the fluted bezel will cost you another £1.3k, which seems quite extreme.
    Well you’ve got me seriously thinking now. Never thought about the combinations like that. Personally the fluted bezel isn’t for me

Well you’ve got me seriously thinking now. Never thought about the combinations like that. Personally the fluted bezel isn’t for me

Even though, you have to love this

If you go on the Rolex website and call the watch up and press the configuration button you can see the different alternatives and dial colours etc.