closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steinhart Ocean One 39

Steinhart Ocean One 39

Anyone own one of these?

Been having a gander. 39mm, ceramic bezel, AR sapphire crystal, 300m WR, super-luminova, 25 Jewel Swiss ETA, solid end links, screwed links, all for under £400. Obviously it's a Sub homage, some people can live with that some can't, but is it me or is that a hell of a lot of watch for the money? I hear Steinhart quality is top notch?
    Last edited by davidj54; 23rd May 2018 at 22:18.

Steinhart quality is top notch. As you state the main issue to some is that many are homages to more famous watches, this is down to personal choice. I always took the view that a homage to a long discontinued watch is fine, such as the vintage red and the Milsub homages, but watches that copy those still in production was a step too far for me.

Size was also an issue, with most people uncomfortable with 42mm and wanted smaller cases. The new 39mm now satisfies that demand.

They are great watches and incredible value for money and they have good residuals and sell well both on here and on e-bay.

Nothing not to like really.

Wallasey Runner, echoing my thoughts really.

Have kind of made my mind up to get a Steinhart, trouble is I can't decide between the Black Ocean One 39 Ceramic, or the Ocean Vintage Military.

I like that the black is 39mm and comes with a ceramic bezel, whereas the OVM is 42mm and the bezel is stainless steel/aluminium. The OVM 39 is very hard to come by. But I prefer the aesthetic of the OVM and as you say it's a homage to an old and impossible to get mil-sub, as opposed to a modern Submariner.

Decisions decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Wallasey Runner, echoing my thoughts really.

Have kind of made my mind up to get a Steinhart, trouble is I can't decide between the Black Ocean One 39 Ceramic, or the Ocean Vintage Military.

I like that the black is 39mm and comes with a ceramic bezel, whereas the OVM is 42mm and the bezel is stainless steel/aluminium. The OVM 39 is very hard to come by. But I prefer the aesthetic of the OVM and as you say it's a homage to an old and impossible to get mil-sub, as opposed to a modern Submariner.

Decisions decisions!
    Wait for the OVM 39, you will not be disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Wait for the OVM 39, you will not be disappointed
    D'you think they'll be re-releasing it as a permanent fixture? The previous numbered releases are as rare as hens teeth!

Of that I'm unsure but it may be worth dropping Gnomon watches a line, they have distributed them previously.

D'you think they'll be re-releasing it as a permanent fixture? The previous numbered releases are as rare as hens teeth!
    They had them instock this week. I was looking on their site Monday I think and was surprised to see them open to order.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    They had them instock this week. I was looking on their site Monday I think and was surprised to see them open to order.
    Every time I've looked they've been out of stock. There's one on eBay for about £750. I'd prefer a 39 to a 42 but it's not a deal breaker. I have 6.75" wrists but can seem to get away with anything up to a 42 as my wrists are flat rather than round, had a 42mm TAG which looked good on. Decided on the OVM over the Ocean One. If the quality is as good as I've read then might pickup an O1 further down the line.

Blog Entries

Steinhart Ocean One 39

Decided on the OVM over the Ocean One. .
    If you settle on a OVM can you come back with a few pictures and your thoughts on it please ?

Btw it’s correct about Gnomon - I was on yesterday and they are in stock for $499.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    If you settle on a OVM can you come back with a few pictures and your thoughts on it please ?

Btw it’s correct about Gnomon - I was on yesterday and they are in stock for $499.

Cheers I'll take a look, but with 20% duty and postage from the US you're still looking at £500, which I feel is over priced, especially having no experience of Steinhart. The 42 is available for £330. And yes, I'll put some pics and a mini review up once I get one, it'll be within the next few weeks 👍

I own several Steinhart Watch including a 39 excellent quality you may notice a little back play on the bezel but nothing serious to worry about, and for all I know they may have improved on that issue.

Would I by again yes is the answer.

Blog Entries
    Cheers I'll take a look, but with 20% duty and postage from the US you're still looking at £500, which I feel is over priced, especially having no experience of Steinhart. The 42 is available for £330. And yes, I'll put some pics and a mini review up once I get one, it'll be within the next few weeks 👍

I felt the same myself about Gnomon it was what put me off buying with the import charges.

Will you be purchasing through Steinhart direct or Chronomaster?

Looking forward to the mini review also.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    I felt the same myself about Gnomon it was what put me off buying with the import charges.

Will you be purchasing through Steinhart direct or Chronomaster?

Looking forward to the mini review also.
    Is Chronomaster still around? The blog looks like it hasn't been updated for a while.
    Last edited by Blue75; 28th May 2018 at 19:13.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue75 View Post
    Is Chronomaster still around? The blog looks like it hasn't been updated for a while.
    Yes it’s still going strong

Master
    I was in the gnomon shop in Singapore last week. Fully sold out but I got to handle the 39mm OVM. Nice.

Luckily I have a 39mm and a 42mm mk 1 waiting for me back in the UK which I bought off here.

Having never owned a GMT I stumbled across this Steinhard model, I've tried to ban myself from any more out right diver watch purchase, I did a bit of research and found this model comes in two sizes 39mm & 42mm I do have a large wrist at 8" doing a quick comparison the 42mm model did appear comparable to my Tudor Black Bay ETA.

I'm just trying to convince myself which would be the better size wise.

Master
    Get both. Sell the one you don’t want on here.

Master
    I've noticed what I perceive as to be some cost cutting from steinhart over the last couple of years. The dials seem machine printed rather than applied hour markers now and also the lume doesn't seem as bright or long lasting. Ive owned so many models over the years but am a little put off them now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    Having never owned a GMT I stumbled across this Steinhard model, I've tried to ban myself from any more out right diver watch purchase, I did a bit of research and found this model comes in two sizes 39mm & 42mm I do have a large wrist at 8" doing a quick comparison the 42mm model did appear comparable to my Tudor Black Bay ETA.

In my opinion, the new 39 is the better size and there are some good reviews on Youtube. I had two 42 with the 22mm bracelet and it just didn't work for me. Too big and uncomfortable but I have 7" wrist max. It had a lovely movement, smooth winding and sweep and everything worked as it should. Hard to fault unless you despise homage watches.

Master
    I do have a large wrist at 8" doing a quick comparison the 42mm model did appear comparable to my Tudor Black Bay ETA.

With that hulk wrist, go 42. I'm 6.75 and get away w 42. It'll look great on you.

Master
    Just to add, and in my opinion, the 39 with the tapered bracelet also looks better than the 42 but that is of course, very subjective

Check this out on the 39mm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOw4EGpycZQ

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Just to add, and in my opinion, the 39 with the tapered bracelet also looks better than the 42 but that is of course, very subjective

Good point. I thought they'd start doing the tapered bracelet w the 42.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Good point. I thought they'd start doing the tapered bracelet w the 42.
    Sadly not but they offer a jubilee now on the 42 which looks great and I can't think why they'd release it now

Craftsman
    I have both the OVM and GMT in 39mm - personally, I think the quality is good and they wear well on my skinny wrists. The tapered bracelet is good quality, but I’m hopping they release a jubilee for the 20mm lug width models: that would make the GMT perfect in my eyes.

Thanks for the link, when he was handling the watch it appeared small, but looked well on his wrist, but his was only 6.75"

I was initially drawn to the blue red bezel, after a little you tube viewing I note there is also a black red version, that has not helped the decision making one bit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I have both the OVM and GMT in 39mm - personally, I think the quality is good and they wear well on my skinny wrists. The tapered bracelet is good quality, but I’m hopping they release a jubilee for the 20mm lug width models: that would make the GMT perfect in my eyes.
    Agreed. 39 with a Jubilee = winner.

Master
    Are the GMT versions 'True' or 'Desk' GMT's? If not 'true' then are there any similar quality / price automatics that have the jumping hour 'true' GMT functionality?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Are the GMT versions 'True' or 'Desk' GMT's? If not 'true' then are there any similar quality / price automatics that have the jumping hour 'true' GMT functionality?
    Excuse my ignorance but I’m not sure what ‘true or desk’ means, however I’ve got the Ocean 1 GMT and the additional hour hand is fully adjustable independently of the main hands.

Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but I’m not sure what ‘true or desk’ means, however I’ve got the Ocean 1 GMT and the additional hour hand is fully adjustable independently of the main hands.
    ”True” = independent adjustment of main/local hour hand

”Desk” = independent adjustment of the 24h hand

For actual travelling purposes most will absolutely positively always want a ”true”.
    For those that wishes to track another TZ but always stays in the same TZ themselves the ”desk” may suffice.

Journeyman
    I’ve been looking at the same model for a while. The only thing that put me off is that a friend picked one up and recons it looses a couple of minutes a day.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DazBock View Post
    I’ve been looking at the same model for a while. The only thing that put me off is that a friend picked one up and recons it looses a couple of minutes a day.

I've little doubt Steinhart will be happy to correct that if sent back to them in Germany (unless it's 5 years +) I've had over 10 and none were worse than 8 secs per day.

Decision made, ordered the GMT ocean one blue red, and added a black red bezel to the order if I fancy a change, looking forward to its arrival.

Thanks for all the info, pics to follow.

Sounds like a good choice. I still really wanna get a Steinhart but keep flitting between which model. I prefer the idea of a 39mm, but would rather have something that was a homage to a vintage piece than the Ocean One which is basically a modern Sub copy, but of the two I like most the Vintage Red only comes in 42mm, and the OVM comes in a 39mm but is exclusive to Gnomon and pretty overpriced.

At present I'm edging towards the Vintage Red:

Journeyman
    I've little doubt Steinhart will be happy to correct that if sent back to them in Germany (unless it's 5 years +) I've had over 10 and none were worse than 8 secs per day.
    Had a chat with him about it tonight and apparently its been replaced already. Don’t think they have many problems at all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    True = 12 hour hand is adjustable interdependently from the other hands in 1 hour jumps. This allows you to set the '24 hour GMT hand' to your home time zone (or UTC if that's your bag) and then adjust local time without losing minute or second accuracy (minutes and seconds don;t hack when adjusting the hour). Another way to think about this is that home time is displayed by the 24 hour, minute and second hands and are adjustable as a whole, local time uses the traditional hour hand and is adjustable separately in 1 hour jumps. Date is usually tied to local hour hand and is not quick set.

Desk = normal adjustment of local time (i.e. minutes / seconds stop when adjusting time). 24 hour hand is adjustable sperately

True is useful when travelling, especially to multiple time zones as it allows the local time to be set quickly and read traditionally, and home time to be read via 24 hour time for reference. Desk is useful when in an office and you need to track another time zone i.e. you may be working closely with the american branch, here, home time can be read traditionally with the 2nd time zone used to make sure you are not calling colleagues in the middle of the night.

Both are useful in their own way I just happen to find the 'True' GMT complication more evocative.

Master
    Decision made, ordered the GMT ocean one blue red, and added a black red bezel to the order if I fancy a change, looking forward to its arrival.

Thanks for all the info, pics to follow.
    Which size did you choose in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    True = 12 hour hand is adjustable interdependently from the other hands in 1 hour jumps. This allows you to set the '24 hour GMT hand' to your home time zone (or UTC if that's your bag) and then adjust local time without losing minute or second accuracy (minutes and seconds don;t hack when adjusting the hour). Another way to think about this is that home time is displayed by the 24 hour, minute and second hands and are adjustable as a whole, local time uses the traditional hour hand and is adjustable separately in 1 hour jumps. Date is usually tied to local hour hand and is not quick set.

Desk = normal adjustment of local time (i.e. minutes / seconds stop when adjusting time). 24 hour hand is adjustable sperately

True is useful when travelling, especially to multiple time zones as it allows the local time to be set quickly and read traditionally, and home time to be read via 24 hour time for reference. Desk is useful when in an office and you need to track another time zone i.e. you may be working closely with the american branch, here, home time can be read traditionally with the 2nd time zone used to make sure you are not calling colleagues in the middle of the night.

Both are useful in their own way I just happen to find the 'True' GMT complication more evocative.
    Good info, going to have to play around with it when mine arrives, GMT is new to me.

Does anyone know if the Steinhart Ocean 1 is True or Desk, I have seen on video clips the hour hand does appear to adjustable seperately in half hour adjustments, (though that would be I hour adjustments on the bezel markers)
    Last edited by geran; 20th July 2018 at 10:04.

Which size did you choose in the end?
    Ordered the 42mm version, the size did seem comparable to my Tudor Black Bay ETA, I can always return it and swap for the 39mm if it feel too large on me.

I take your point on the non tapered bracelet on the 42mm.
    Last edited by geran; 20th July 2018 at 09:46.

Master
    Ordered the 42mm version, the size did seem comparable to my Tudor Black Bay ETA, I can always return it and swap for the 39mm if it feel too large on me.

From memory it feels and looks smaller than the bb.

From memory it feels and looks smaller than the bb.
    Thanks for that, just had a more accurate measure of my wrist, a tad over 7 3/4" hopefully it will look ok.

Master

Cool and should be a good size for you. Enjoy.

The ETA 2893 movement allows independent adjustment of the 24h hand, but not independent movement of the 12h hand as the Rolex GMT-Master II does (any other brands?).

Never heard this “true” or “desk” description before. Who came up with that malarkey?

Arrived today, 42mm version not sized the bracelet or removed any of the protective covering, other than the crystal protection for a few pics.

I can understand the call for the 39mm model, the dial size is fine on the 42mm but I would imagine the lug to lug length would be an issue on a small wrist, going to check out the functions, and how it fares regarding time keeping.
    A few wrist shots.
    Just to add the 22mm bracelet is tapered.

hosting pic
    Last edited by geran; 25th July 2018 at 20:58.

Master
    Looking good and the bracelet must be new? I am sure they didn't really taper but maybe it was just because it's a 22mm.

Looking good and the bracelet must be new? I am sure they didn't really taper but maybe it was just because it's a 22mm.
    Yes it is and better all round thanks to that taper.

I have been toying with getting one of their "Pepsi 39mm GMT watches.

I believe some of the earlier Ocean models that had 22mm lugs had no taper on the bracelet.

Even though I have a large wrist, and own many 42mm plus watches, this model just looks odd, the dial is not large I think it's the lug to lug length that make it appear larger than it is.
    I can see this being returned and exchanged for the 39mm version.

Master
    I believe some of the earlier Ocean models that had 22mm lugs had no taper on the bracelet.

Even though I have a large wrist, and own many 42mm plus watches, this model just looks odd, the dial is not large I think it's the lug to lug length that make it appear larger than it is.
    I can see this being returned and exchanged for the 39mm version.
    Wow. I think the 39 will disappear on your wrist!

Wow. I think the 39 will disappear on your wrist!
    I should have taken the advice from Mr.D and ordered both, I may just do that, there is fourteen day money back guarantee.