closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any tree experts/surveyors here?

Any tree experts/surveyors here?

All
    I have a tree in close proximity to a wall.The house is circa 1885.
    The tree is a Very old Magnolia Grandiflora- a beautiful thing.
    Anyone know if this type of tree is a liability as far as the wall is concerned?
    I’ve had estimates of it being 80-100 years old and I stress there are absolutely no signs of movement in the wall.Looking for advice from anyone with sound experience rather than a “play safe and chop it down” viewpoint.
    Thanks
    Goat

Journeyman
    for the tree to have a negative impact on the wall depends on a number of factors, including whether the tree is a high, low water demander, proximity to the wall, foundation depth and soil type. Trees may damage structures either directly or in the case of subsidence, indirectly. For subsidence to be an issue then this is generally on clay soils on the higher end of the plasticity scale and after an extended period of dry weather.

If the tree is a 100 year old magnolia growth is likely to be incremental year on year, if you haven't seen Ny sign of damage so far then I would not be overly concerned. This is all said without seeing the tree or wall so treat as a general rule.

Thanks
    To add,the House is built on plateau gravel

Master
    If you remove it, it could do more harm. If you really want to get rid of it make sure you remove it in stages over a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    If you remove it, it could do more harm. If you really want to get rid of it make sure you remove it in stages over a few years.
    This. But if it’s been OK so far it probably will be for a while longer.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Heave? Reduced probability based on soil type given by op.

There is guidance by NHBC for tree proximity/foundation design. I know its an old house and old tree, so if there are no signs of movement and you know you have well drained alluvial gravel sub soil I would suggest you manage the trees growth with careful pruning to maintain its current height or even slightly reduce its crown.

If you were to decide to take the tree out it should not cause issue with heave as the gravel soil is not especially prone to expanding due to increased water content resulting from the loss of a tree; if it were clay sub soil it would be a different matter.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    There is guidance by NHBC for tree proximity/foundation design. I know its an old house and old tree, so if there are no signs of movement and you know you have well drained alluvial gravel sub soil I would suggest you manage the trees growth with careful pruning to maintain its current height or even slightly reduce its crown.

If you were to decide to take the tree out it should not cause issue with heave as the gravel soil is not especially prone to expanding due to increased water content resulting from the loss of a tree; if it were clay sub soil it would be a different matter.
    NHBC chapter 4.2.
    pruning may not be necessary as age of magnolia (if accurate) will limit growth