closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why did they change the omega aquarerra?

Master

Why did they change the omega aquarerra?

I bought mine 4 years ago now and love the splash of green on the dial (which it still has) but horizontal lines look odd, the crown shape is bizzare with the flare, 6 o’clock date window somehow feels unbalanced, not framing the date unbalances the dial. Having the date window framed really balances out the opposing white gold hour marker. Also, the more fussy case back is odd looking. Was it just change for the sake of change?

I don't know, but the current version looks like a clear step down. I don't quite get why Omega would want to downgrade a watch, even if only perceptually.

Why did they change the omega aquarerra?

Because Omega seem to be unable to keep a good thing going... always fiddling with their main lines, looking for novelty rather than rightness. It’s a miracle the Speedmaster Pro has remained unscathed, Hesalite and all - even though they fiddle with the Speedmaster line too.

Part of Rolex’s success is the very gentle evolution of winning designs (not that I don’t prefer their earlier stuff too in many cases.)

Omega made really great-looking watches in the original Planet Oceans and Aqua Terras, and they seem to have been frightened by their success into half-ruining them.

The new Seamaster 300M looks worse than the previous one, too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    Because Omega seem to be unable to keep a good thing going... always fiddling with their main lines, looking for novelty rather than rightness. It’s a miracle the Speedmaster Pro has remained unscathed, Hesalite and all - even though they fiddle with the Speedmaster line too.

Part of Rolex’s success is the very gentle evolution of winning designs (not that I don’t prefer their earlier stuff too in many cases.)

Omega made really great-looking watches in the original Planet Oceans and Aqua Terras, and they seem to have been frightened by their success into half-ruining them.

The new Seamaster 300M looks worse than the previous one, too.
    Rolex are equally as guilty when you look at the new Submariner Case, it looks almost square, hideous imo.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Used to have the exact watch you showed - the golf version of the AquaTerra.
    Very nice.
    On the new ones they also polished the bracelet centre links which is immediately a deal-breaker for me.
    Pity they couldn't just leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    Rolex are equally as guilty when you look at the new Submariner Case, it looks almost square, hideous imo.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    They're not equally guilty; Rolex have kept model lines running for many decades with a sense of continuity and evolution, whilst introducing new models.

Now, would I rather the Submariner had a traditional case? Yes. I prefer almost every Rolex made in the 60s vs. now from an aesthetic point of view... but there's been less mucking about between 1945 and the present day with regards to a Datejust, than Omega have managed since 2002 with the Aqua Terra, IMO.

I don't have an axe to grind against Omega, it's that they had such a lovely range with the original Planet Oceans, Aqua Terras, etc. and they've just made them look worse with each revision. (Whilst considerably improving their movements, in fairness).

Master

Exactly. Small incremental changes I can understand but the wholesale change really ruined what is a great looking watch. Didn’t realise they polished the centre links. That’s a shocker and is at odds with the new case back. Polished centre links would say more dress than sports but the case backnis the opposite.

Master
    They're not equally guilty; Rolex have kept model lines running for many decades with a sense of continuity and evolution, whilst introducing new models.

Now, would I rather the Submariner had a traditional case? Yes. I prefer almost every Rolex made in the 60s vs. now from an aesthetic point of view... but there's been less mucking about between 1945 and the present day with regards to a Datejust, than Omega have managed since 2002 with the Aqua Terra, IMO.

I don't have an axe to grind against Omega, it's that they had such a lovely range with the original Planet Oceans, Aqua Terras, etc. and they've just made them look worse with each revision. (Whilst considerably improving their movements, in fairness).
    They are equally as guilty imo

I agree with the OP I have the same year AT as you do but in teak / grey. The new ones are terrible the lack of date surround is the worst part.

Journeyman
    2014 Aqua GMT. Unframed date at 6 looks mile better than the 3 position imo.

Really a very useful watch, semi dressy, Discrete GMT, date and Chrono. Tad large for my current taste at 43mm

Last edited by Guycord; 23rd May 2018 at 14:50.

Grand Master
    I had a dark grey one with the striped dial, a really excellent watch that was let down by the thickness in my opinion. Latest changes haven`t helped, if the previous design had been a couple of mm slimmer it would've been ideal.

Omega seem to have lost their way, they seem incapable of coming up with a really classic design and sticking with it.

Paul

Master
    The AT is a great all rounder, but they’ve never been able to completely resolve the design. It seems that no matter what they change, there’s always some new problem that needs fixing. In favour of the current version is that it’s finally thin enough, which helps no end. The 38 is very well proportioned and less top heavy compared to the previous one. Grand Seiko, take note.

Now if only they could offer an option without the polished centre links, once and for all figure out a combination of dial, indices and date window that work together, put the date back to 3 and lose the weird crown, we might have a winner. But I’m starting to think they’ll forever be sawing legs off the table.

I love this one personally....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I love this one personally....

I don’t understand the different thickness of stripes either. Just a personal thing.

Grand Master
    One big trick they missed regarding the bracelet was not to use a similar design to the Speedy Moonwatch, with small polished segments. That's a really good look IMO, it works on the SMP 2254.50, it works on the moonwatch and it works nicely on a Speedy Reduced I own. To me, the bracelet needs some polished bits to match up to the polished/brushed case, I think this was a major omission on the original version but they've gone to the other extreme with the current one. Polished centre links look fine in the shop but they pick up scratches badly.

Having another look at the current one, I prefer the date at 6 and I think it works OK without a surround. If the current 38.5mm is thinner than it's predecessor that's another improvement.........but the horizontal stripes are a bit odd!

Can`t help thinking a Datejust makes more sense, worth scraping the bottom of the piggy bank for IMO.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I bought mine 4 years ago now and love the splash of green on the dial (which it still has) but horizontal lines look odd, the crown shape is bizzare with the flare, 6 o’clock date window somehow feels unbalanced, not framing the date unbalances the dial. Having the date window framed really balances out the opposing white gold hour marker. Also, the more fussy case back is odd looking. Was it just change for the sake of change?

To make it look better!!! Your poison is my meat:

- the horizontal lines look better imo and the variation in their width adds a little extra
    - the crown shape is more interesting and provides a touch of retro elegance
    - the 6 o'clock date feels much more balanced
    - a date window often cheapens the look so its absence is a positive

Craftsman
    Omega do seem to swap and change designs far too often and sadly, it is often for the worse imo too.

I had one of the original planet ocean 2500’s which was pretty much ideal. Unfortunately it got stolen and ended up replaced by a ceramic bezel 8500. Despite going from a 45mm 2500 to the 42mm 8500, the 8500 felt much more substantial / thick and was far less wearable as a result. I tired to get on with it but ended up selling it a couple of years later.

In hindsight, I think the 42mm 2500 was probably the best all rounder and “peak dive watch” phase for omega.

Despite regular updates and new movements, the newer versions have never seemed to hit the mark.

Blog Entries
    I personally loved this design.....

..........but when your model came out I really liked the design with the vertical stripes. Haven't liked the models since much, I think Omega changed too much just for the sake of change.

This is one of the few watches I have sold and always regretted it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    Omega do seem to swap and change designs far too often and sadly, it is often for the worse imo too.

I had one of the original planet ocean 2500’s which was pretty much ideal. Unfortunately it got stolen and ended up replaced by a ceramic bezel 8500. Despite going from a 45mm 2500 to the 42mm 8500, the 8500 felt much more substantial / thick and was far less wearable as a result. I tired to get on with it but ended up selling it a couple of years later.

In hindsight, I think the 42mm 2500 was probably the best all rounder and “peak dive watch” phase for omega.

Despite regular updates and new movements, the newer versions have never seemed to hit the mark.
    I have a 42mm 2500 PO and agree with you. At the time I bought it the 8500 had just come out so had the option of both in the shop. Although I liked the look of the 8500 and the idea of the newer movement appealed, the 2500 just felt 'nicer' on the wrist.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

..........but when your model came out I really liked the design with the vertical stripes. Haven't liked the models since much, I think Omega changed too much just for the sake of change.

Agreed this model and the OP’s were “peak aqua terra”. I had one of the blue dialled “sky fall” ATs which I think was from the same model as the op. Beautiful watch but I got the 38.5 which just always felt too small on the wrist and also ended up being sold on.

I really want to like omega and it was the first luxury brand I owned. However, I’ve ended up selling them other than my speedy pro, although I’ve even got mixed feelings about that. I’m not sure I’ll keep that long term, despite being the one model that has not really changed much over the years!!

Craftsman
    I have a 42mm 2500 PO and agree with you. At the time I bought it the 8500 had just come out so had the option of both in the shop. Although I liked the look of the 8500 and the idea of the newer movement appealed, the 2500 just felt 'nicer' on the wrist.
    Good choice. From my limited knowledge, the 42mm 2500 P.O. is one of the more in demand P.O. Models on the used market, which is quite telling.

Personally l think things went downhill after the 2500 movement AT's. The Hornby railway set stripey dials turn me cold, as does the unnecessary extra chunkiness that probably comes from the size of the new movements.

I agree with the comment that Omega changes for changes sake - l used to love the brand, but now l find them largely disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    Good choice. From my limited knowledge, the 42mm 2500 P.O. is one of the more in demand P.O. Models on the used market, which is quite telling.
    That's the one l have, and l dont see myself ever regretting it.

I much prefer the 2500 range like the above, or the original Railmaster re-edition. I feel the 36mm Aqua Terra '2500' versions (inc the Railmaster) are about perfect for me, its only a bit of duplication with the Seamaster 120m and Rolex 15200 which means I don't really have a need or space for it in the collection.

I had the AT Quartz with the 8500 case (in 38.5mm) which was OK but found it to wear top heavy and went back to my thinner Seamaster 120m, the pre-cursor to the AT range.

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Omega Seamaster 120m by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Master
    For me the new ‘symmetrical’ look solves a problem that didn’t exist with a solution that doesn’t work. I’ve never heard anyone complain about the slight asymmetry caused by the crown guard in the previous generation, and now the weirdly flared crown sticks out and the date window feels out of place, though admittedly the proportions are excellent. Meanwhile the differently sized horizontal stripes are sort of clever in that some of them disappear from different angles, making the dial change, but it’s not something you can get really excited about. The real issue for the AT has been that the chunky indices don’t translate into an elegant date window surround, and yet it looks like something is missing without one.

My guess is that the black and white dial Rolex OP39s will easily outsell them, without even needing a date to compete. On my wrist the 38mm AT actually wears slightly better - it’s a perfectly sized modern watch on a slim wrist while the Rolex feels slightly oversized. But the other elements don’t quite come together. Ironically the OP39 has a lot in common with the original 39.2mm AT.

Master
    I tend to agree, the original AT looks much better IMO than the current iteration as does the original SMP 300. Omega has form for this, witness the Constellation.

I think they just make changes for change sake, to bring out an updated model in the hope of boosting sales and wish they would stick to their tried and trusted designs.

- - - Updated - - -

Having tried on the new model Aqua terra (feel this new model will date quicker ) , I definitely prefer the older model especially the Skyfall one . I also agree with the comments regarding the Planet Ocean-owning the 2500 classic black bezel in 42mm that the new models arent as good as the classic one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yup they should of gently revised the 2500 POs and calmed down with the crazy amount of variations.

I had the Skyfall AT 8500 38.5mm. Crazy thick case for a small watch. Regardless the design of that one only lasted a short period and they mucked around with it and added PCL

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post

I had the Skyfall AT 8500 38.5mm. Crazy thick case for a small watch. Regardless the design of that one only lasted a short period and they mucked around with it and added PCL
    If they made a Skyfall AT with brushed centre links and the new slimmer case that would be an ultimate AT, the blue dial was lovely. Sadly I suppose there's no going back and it will remain a fantasy watch.