closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rare Omega Yachting Chrono

Rare Omega Yachting Chrono

These don't come up for sale often, probably less than any production Omega? Made me head for the safe for a fiddle!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-O...19.m1438.l2649
    Last edited by bongo; 22nd May 2018 at 23:46.

Master
    I’m always looking at the 1040 Omegas and came across a 176.007 the other day with this dial and was wondering what was going on as I’d not seen the dial before.

The 176.007's are fanrastic watches with some lovely dial colour combos. They were among the peak Omega at the time before the quarrz or whatever mania.
    The 176.010 though is another kettle of fish, few made and extremely hard to find. Tissot made more or less the same watch and could scratch the itch in place of the elusive 010. The one currently on SC would be on my radar if I was in the market.

Master
    So this would be an 010 dial?

I guess if you could find a yachting bezel you could have the look.

I love the idea of the 1040 movement, seems like the perfect useful Chronograph for me. I love old omgas and recently bought a jumbo chronostop but it really hasn’t scratched the itch and the complication is useless to me. I’ve been thinking of selling it and getting a 176.007 but I know my way round Vintage Seiko and can spot fake parts, these are a different proposition. I’ve seen at least 3 dial variants so far.

Master
    Great looking watch with a nice splash of colour, very retro.

That dial is close but the 010 has a chunkier heavier case and dedicated bezel. Rather than putting one together I’d go for a Tissot version for half the price of a nice 176.007.
    Then you can start thinking of the real deal, IF you can find one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    That dial is close but the 010 has a chunkier heavier case and dedicated bezel. Rather than putting one together I’d go for a Tissot version for half the price of a nice 176.007.
    Then you can start thinking of the real deal, IF you can find one.
    No I wouldn’t be building one up that’s for sure I was more interested if that was the dial from one that’s all. I’m not really a yachting Watch lover myself just for what it’s actual use is.

There seems to be a few variants, white, black & grey sub dials, variations on the indices etc. Some look more sunburst than others. See a few bad re-dials too.

Journeyman
    I have one of these, bought last year. It's a big, heavy chunk of metal on the wrist but an interesting dial. Terrific, complicated (probably overly so) calibre 1040 inside and took me a long time to find one in this sort of condition. As has been mentioned,you don't see many of them.

That one on eBay looks a nice watch but strongly priced. I think it has a replacement movement as well because the serial number is odd and starts with an "R". Of course, it's on the rotor and it may just be that's the only thing replaced but it would be unusual to replace the rotor.

Cheers, Chris

Enjoying my Tissot version. Nearly as nice

Tissot by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by simonsays View Post
    Enjoying my Tissot version. Nearly as nice

Tissot by Simon Barnes, on Flickr
    That is very nice as well! I suppose that these are also scarce, which probably means that, same as the Omega, they just weren't popular in period. Bit of a shame.

The Tissot on Sales Corner looks a good watch although I have no idea about the prices of those.

Anyone else have a different model but similar to these? Always looking for something else to buy...

Cheers, Chris

The Tissot uses a more basic Lemania movement, The Omega (Lemania) one has a 24hr indicator within a subdial. Aquastar made some cracking yacht timers too in the 60/70s, some in conjunction with Heuer.
    Prices? Easy £4K plus for the Omega if you can find one, £1k up for an Aquastar depending on model. The Tissot, £750 plus. Google images of 70s Yatchtimers will get you going for sure!

This Tissot shows it's more industrial movement, not sure about the red dial. The Omega in the OP is situated in Hungary, the Tissot, Romania. Not sure I'd be happy getting involved in either tbh.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TIS...kAAOSw2VFa2OHQ

Here's a Heuer Yachty, this came in black PVD also and would love to find one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Heu...AAAOSwlgNbBuJ9

Shame you missed this one then, sold last week for a very competetive £2300
    Lemania 1345 movement in black PVd Heuer "Autavia" case, lovely. Full bracelet too

Dave

Journeyman
    The Omega in the first post is significantly more than I paid for mine and I'm not sure about the R in the movement number. I wouldn't get involved in that one either, nor the eBay Tissot.

Oddly, neither of the Heuers appeal to me but, you're right about there being some really interesting watches here. Spent a few hours looking and I do like the Lemania Regatta so, will have a look around and do some research...

Thanks, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Shame you missed this one then, sold last week for a very competetive £2300
    Lemania 1345 movement in black PVd Heuer "Autavia" case, lovely. Full bracelet too

Dave
    Very nice Dave but Speedy money. Never knew Yatchting was so popular in landlocked Hungary & Romania!
    Check out the Aquastars.

Blog Entries
    Some of mine - lovely pieces though a bit chunky on the wrist!

Blog Entries
    Yes, that's the 010 dial while this is a 007.
    Applied minute markers are easy way to tell the difference AFAIK.

Should be OK to find a new dial though i suspect?

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    So this would be an 010 dial?

I guess if you could find a yachting bezel you could have the look.

I love the idea of the 1040 movement, seems like the perfect useful Chronograph for me. I love old omgas and recently bought a jumbo chronostop but it really hasn’t scratched the itch and the complication is useless to me. I’ve been thinking of selling it and getting a 176.007 but I know my way round Vintage Seiko and can spot fake parts, these are a different proposition. I’ve seen at least 3 dial variants so far.