closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lease car and tow bars

Lease car and tow bars

I called VWFS earlier today and was told I had to get a main dealer (Audi in this case) to put on a tow bar. On my way home I popped into a local independent tow bar fitter and they said that wasn’t the case. You can get tow bar from anywhere as long as it’s by an approved fitter. I’ve not seen how much the Audi dealer would charge but assume that it’ll be more than the independent.

So does anyone know who is right?

Can I just remove it at the end of the lease? Maybe to resell or to put on a new car, assuming it’s compatible.

Master
    Not something I would recommend if VWFS said no,could cost you a fortune on return.

Blog Entries
    Modern cars and the tow bar's electrics need to 'pair'. Often, the dealer has to change settings of the computer or there's software edit when the tow bar is installed. E.g. the ABS needs to be 'instructed' to act differently when the rear starts swaying. The dealer has the latest software for that.

When we got our Honda CRV it came without a tow bar. Installing this would have been easy for me, using the workshop's equipment. I decided to leave it to the dealer because I can't change the computer's settings.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 22nd May 2018 at 20:59.

Grand Master
    Sounds reasonable to me, you don`t own the car, the owner makes the decision and if they insist on main dealer fitting I can`t see how you can argue.

Master
    Some cars the bar just bolts to an existing mounting point and the wiring just plugs into an existing connection and then configure the ecu for a towbar.

Other cars also need a crash beam behind the bumper removing or replacing and/or the rear bumper/valance cutting for the bar to be installed, plus all the wiring and ecu work.

As it’s effectively a hire car they are well within there rights and being reasonable by requiring the main dealer to perform the work.

Master
    I got Audi to install a detachable swan neck tow bar on my (privately owned) new A8 about 3 years ago, they needed to set up new features on the MMI for the suspension camera + gearbox £1200.00 fitted.

Job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the email response from VWFS - sounds like they recommend but not mandatory

Thank you for your email, whilst we have no objections, we strongly recommended that the tow bar is installed by one of our retailers within the U.K. network. As per the terms and conditions of your contract, it is essential that a genuine part is fitted to this vehicle. This is to ensure that it is installed as per manufacturer’s specifications.

You should be aware that where a maintenance contract is in place, the above mentioned item does not form part of this contract. Costs arising from any malfunction of the component, and/or associated components, where applicable, will unfortunately have to be met by you or your company.

Please also note that if this item is fitted, upon termination of the contract we would expect the tow bar to be removed, and any holes, damage, or changes to the condition or changes to the appearance of the vehicle are to be rectified. Failure to do so could incur end of term refurbishment costs. Alternatively, the tow bar can be left on the vehicle at the end of the contract.