closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bedside Watch Winders

Apprentice

Bedside Watch Winders

Hello and thanks for letting me join,

Quick Intro and a question :)

Current collection Pani Radiomer 338, Panni Luminor Base White dial, Big Pilot Antoine De Saint Exupery, AP Royal Oak Offsore Blue face Titanium and a Cartier De Drive.

Big Question is, watch winders..... how quiet are they? i want them on my bedside but wife wont want the noise.

Master
    Probably variable winder to winder no matter who made it or the expense.

My expensive Rapport is a weeny bit noisy while my cheapo German one is quiet as a quiet thing.

Master
    Mines by the bed, 8 watch winder, you can hear it, but it's not intrusive.

Craftsman
    My only winder is a single one by Wolf designs.
    Very quiet and kept in the bedroom, but not right next to my head.

Currently on the lookout for a bigger one now, since joining this sordid den of temptation.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a double wolf one that's about 2m from my bed. Can't hear it when I sleep.

Grand Master
    Can someone recommend me a 22 watch winder to go at my bedside? I`m only happy when I know all my watches are running.

It'll also make life far easier for Mr Burgler when he pays me a visit. I`d hate to think he had to tear my house apart in the hope of possibly finding a watch or two.

Seriously dude, listen to your wife.........and think whether/why you really want/need one of these damned things.

Best place to keep watches is in safe place packed away when not in use. Sensible from a security standpoint, and avoids unnecessary/excessive wear on the movements.......but what do I know?

If someone wears a watch Mon-Friday and wants to keep it running over the weekend it just might make some sense, particularly if the watch has a screw down crown which is going to wear eventually, but otherwise I really wouldn`t bother.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 22nd May 2018 at 19:23.

Unless you have a big bedroom, I would not recommend a WW. Even the quietest have a sound - it's impossible (virtually/within reasonable cost) to have a motor turning a weight with no noise.

Have owned several watchwinders with huge variations in noise - but none I would care to have next to my bed when all else around me is silence.

The Wolf winder I have is reasonably quiet on batteries and in my bedroom.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Can someone recommend me safe that will fit a 22 watch winder?

My watch winders are usually 'busy' with the missus at bed time.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

In my experience, watch winders always generate some noise, even a really quiet one will disturb me.

The one I have does far more turns per day than my watches need, so I have it on a timer that switches it off overnight. So it's silent when I need it to be, but watches are still kept fully wound.

Quote Originally Posted by ziphos View Post
    In my experience, watch winders always generate some noise, even a really quiet one will disturb me.

The one I have does far more turns per day than my watches need, so I have it on a timer that switches it off overnight. So it's silent when I need it to be, but watches are still kept fully wound.
    Ha! I don't have a winder because I know the noise (no matter how quiet it is) will annoy me when I'm trying to sleep. I hadn't thought about putting it on a timer. I'm off to research what watch winder to buy now.

Master
    Has anyone seen the film Dr. Strange IIRC he has an epic drawer full of watches all on winders. Was pretty cool IMO!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lippy View Post
    Has anyone seen the film Dr. Strange IIRC he has an epic drawer full of watches all on winders. Was pretty cool IMO!
    Looks cool, but is rather impractical given the fact that the winders in that scene are positioned horizontally, which will surely result in very ineffective winding! You can tell the set designer wasn't a WIS :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    Looks cool, but is rather impractical given the fact that the winders in that scene are positioned horizontally, which will surely result in very ineffective winding! You can tell the set designer wasn't a WIS :)
    :D Good point well made :D

Craftsman

£60 on amazon

I bought a double watch winder as above and it is very quiet.

Master
    Watch winder would drive me nuts on my bed side cabinet. I had to remove my accutron from my shelf as I tuned in to that let alone a winder going round!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Can someone recommend me safe that will fit a 22 watch winder?
    Touche

Craftsman
    Wonder how loud it is.

Apprentice
    thanks for all the feedback, i think i'll leave the watch winder for now. i normally try wear most of watches during the week and gravitate towards the BP and the AP mostly

Master
    Even the sound of my watch running annoys me when on bedside table, I have to put something under to insulate it. Can't stand any noise in the bedroom.