closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car search

Master

Car search

My currant manual toyota auris is giving me sciatica looking for an auto but its not easy i want - propper auto box
    0-60 9.5 secs or less
    Petrol
    50k miles or less
    4 years old or less
    10k or less

can anyone suggest anything , seems to be loads of choice if want diesel or an automated manual
    thanks

Anything Volkswagen or Audi generally has excellent auto boxes (DSG). Volvo might be worth a look too.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Lexus, Volvo and Honda used to regularly feature in car reviews as having the most comfortable seats.

German cars often have supportive seats too, but for some can feel a little too firm for some.

French cars, such as Citroen and Renault are often quite squishy and therefore comfortable, but may lack proper support in key areas over longer journeys. But for shorter journies etc this is probably also why Scenics and Picasso's are often so popular as Motobility cars and why my father-in-law always has them.

This is just from what I have read up on and what I have found in my many years of ownership of many cars, everything is different for everyone as we all have our unique posture.

It may even be worth looking up some stretches and exercises to help with your Sciatic pain as this will be of greater benefit to you in life than finding a better car seat; just talking as a Pilates Instructor here, not trying to have a pop at you at all. https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercis...-for-sciatica/

I hope that is helpful and best of luck with it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Although not a make I’d recommend, (due to parts scarcity), if your back is really bad, test drive a latest Saab you can find. Best seats in the business. Can also be bought for about 50p these days.

Master
    Get the problem sorted in your back (disc prolapse pinching the nerve?). I left mine a long time (well I blame the medical service for years of drugs, pointless root block injections, physio etc) and I was in a right state. Change of doctor and attitude and within a year I’d had an operation to remove the problem and it was like a switch getting rid of the pain. I first went to the doctor age 14 with sciatic pain, finally got it sorted 5 years ago... age 36!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    My currant manual toyota auris is giving me sciatica looking for an auto but its not easy i want - propper auto box
    0-60 9.5 secs or less
    Petrol
    50k miles or less
    4 years old or less
    10k or less

can anyone suggest anything , seems to be loads of choice if want diesel or an automated manual
    thanks
    After years of driving old school auto's (mainly Volvo's) the modern DSG from VAG and auto's from BMW are such a vast improvement in terms of drive and efficiency....did 200k in my Golf and up to 40k so far in my One Series

Master
    Thanks for replys ive had a knackerd back for 10 years sciatica started 8 months a go 3 months physio and no better having another mri on it
    i would have one of the more modern automated manuals but they need regular oil changes and people who own them are too tight to have it done

Master
    Thanks for replys ive had a knackerd back for 10 years sciatica started 8 months a go 3 months physio and no better having another mri on it
    i would have one of the more modern automated manuals but they need regular oil changes and people who own them are too tight to have it done
    That is true every 40k on the VAG DSG and £160 at dealer prices, less from a good independent.

Grand Master
    I`ve just bought a 2017 Ford Focus 1.5 automatic for my good lady, 182bhp and supposedly does 0-60 in 8. something....quick enough for most people. Only drawback is the fuel consumption which is just over 30mpg although that is based on short runs. Boot space isn`t brilliant, but otherwise it's fine.

There's a 150bhp and a 182 bhp version of this engine, I would've been happy with the lower spec but this car came up for sale so I went for it.

Paul

Audi A4? Should be able to get a nice spec within budget.

Master
    Good luck with the back. Wish I’d pushed harder years ago as I ended up with no left buttock muscle, no motor power in my left leg (aside from the pain). I tried to work through it but had to stop in the end, even ignoring the pain it was like my body blocked me lifting.

Pretty sure you’ll have a pinched sciatic nerve from most likely a disc prolapse. Trouble is they like to leave things as often a bulge can sort itself with time etc but at 10 years I’d be pushing for an op. Mine had actually split and the fluid inside the disc had carlcified (this is what the surgeon told me) where it’d spilled out. No amount of time or physio would help. Surgeon said my leg may not recover but I consciously pushed off it in an exaggerated move when walking and after a few months got my leg back. Worst I get now is a lot of cramp in my calf but then it has a mind of its own, sits their twitching and convulsing on its own.

Strangest thing was waking into my local co-op after the op and the woman behind the counter saying “you’re walking straight” Id never even spoken to her before but obviously she was used to seeing me hunched over for years.

Good luck with the back. As an aside all this talk of comfy cars depends on your size imho. I’m 6’2’’ and around 17 stone. French car seats sag under my weight whereas my current Volvo has the comfiest seats I own. I also have a 2016 fiesta which whilst not quite as comfy as the Volvo is pretty good, and I could wear a top hat driving it whereas some cars leave my head brushing the roof. Worth trying lots out I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    Audi A4? Should be able to get a nice spec within budget.
    An under £10k a4 with less than 50,000 and no older than 4 years, really?

Master
    An under £10k a4 with less than 50,000 and no older than 4 years, really?
    I thought that to, I've been looking for one for weeks around 10k and have ended up with 62 525D with 82,000 as there's nothing anywhere, even would have had an A3 but cant find a nice one with an engine.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    The VAG dsg gearboxes only need servicing every 40,000 miles , which is much the same as conventional autos (Although many say sealed for life thats rubbish, they should be done every 60k or so but rarely are)

Cost for servicing a VAG gearbox £184 , cost for servicing the ZF8 as fitted to many BMW's Mercs and Jags £450

That doesn't seem like a strong argument against the DSG imo

If you have back issues the most important thing will be seat shape , some you might find comfy some you might not so recommendations might not help

This fits the bill as I see it , nippy , cheap to run , uber reliable , spacious but as to whether your back will find the seats comfy who knows

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=st87hf&page=1

0-60 9.5 secs or less
    Petrol
    50k miles or less
    4 years old or less
    10k or less

thanks
    You can put all of those exact criteria into the Autotrader search function (it look me 2 minutes on the Autotrader app).

It returned 2,600 cars, from £10k down to £625! I think that you should be able to find something in that lot.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    You can put all of those exact criteria into the Autotrader search function (it look me 2 minutes on the Autotrader app).

It returned 2,600 cars, from £10k down to £625! I think that you should be able to find something in that lot.
    To be fair though, there is no option for ‘Good with bad back’ on the search function, or the ability to talk to previous owners.
    I’d say asking on here should yield a better, more specific response.

Master
    Thanks for all the help i have 3 prolapsed disks that are proberbly causing the problem i have decided to buy a golf tsi