closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Very modest addition to my collection

Very modest addition to my collection

Went to a watch jumble yesterday. Was very surprised to see lots of cheap Chinese homages. Nearly every stand had a collection of them.

You would never see these displayed at these events a few years back in Switzerland.

I did hear quite a few critical comments from some of the visitors and I can understand why.

I nearly got myself a nice Speedy Mark II, but the seller was just asking for too much and wouldn't budge.

I've always dreamt of finding a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (love that large, wide bezel) for my vintage dive watch collection, but prices are too high for my modest budget.

Anyway, I was just about ready to start my long drive home when I spotted something that somehow reminded me of the Blancpain.

It turned out to be (yes, you've guessed it) a $40 Chinese watch which the seller said was based on an early Submariner with no crown guards. It did have the Mercedes hour hand, but did not have the Rolex round hour markers (nice chapter ring though).

What I did like about it was the bezel. Very Blancpain, I thought.

So I now have a quartz watch in my collection. Not a great find with its Miyota movement and awful rubber strap, but at least it wouldn't be a wasted trip, and best of all, my wife loves it. :)

Last edited by calypso; 22nd May 2018 at 00:12.

Master

Nice!!

I’m sure loads will hate it but I kind of like the general overview!
    Like you said it does have that Blancpain and maybe even a subtle Sinn look about it with maybe a hint of Seiko on the dial, if you squint your eyes !!!

So its the love child of a Blancpain/Sinn/Seiko .

For what you paid it doesn’t matter if it falls apart !!

Chris
    Last edited by subchris; 22nd May 2018 at 00:07.

Hi Chris. Miyotas are usually reasonably dependable. It's keeping very good time so far (well, it is quartz). In fact I think it's giving my atomic master clock a complex.

Master

Great!!

Quote Originally Posted by calypso View Post
    Hi Chris. Miyotas are usually reasonably dependable. It's keeping very good time so far (well, it is quartz). In fact I think it's giving my atomic master clock a complex.
    Happy days mate!!
    I’ve had as much enjoyment out of a £7k piece as o have out of spending a few hundred if that so price definately has no reflection on the whole experience!!!

Chris