closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage watch experts advice please ...Lanco

Craftsman

Vintage watch experts advice please ...Lanco

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1920s-Eng...AAAOSw6X5aCbJG

If you were to look at this watch would it be tat or treasure from an originality point of view?

Journeyman
    I am not a vintage watch experts, but this one truly beautiful watch.

No idea but that's bloody lovely. Very rarely do I look at a ladies watch and see something that actually looks good.

Craftsman
    What makes it worse is I was after one for myself, she's sees them and oh guess who's birthday is coming up. Hint: it isn't mine.

Master
    It looks like a 1920s watch but, as far as I know, the Lanco brand was created in the 1950s.

Craftsman
    This was my concern, looks 20's could be 70's ....

The most famous brand of the company was Lanco (an abbreviation of Langendorf Watch Company) that was launched as a brand name in the late 1950s. The brand was discontinued in the late 1960s, and revived again from 1971 to around 1980.

Do these markings mean anything to anyone?

https://imgur.com/a/arzhctg
    Last edited by spud767; 22nd May 2018 at 16:49.

It doesn't look like any Lanco I've ever seen, but I've not seen a great deal of them!

I'd fear it was a franken with the name painted on as it looks a bit too good. But that seller seems to be very well established indeed.

Grand Master
    I don`t know enough about 20s/30s watches to comment with certainty, but I can`t see it being a franken. The dial has been designed in such a way that a makers name has to be included, so why would someone falsely add the Lanco name? Doesn`t stack up to me, I think it more than likely it's authentic/original.

The best examples of watches this age have invariably spent most of their lives in a drawer. I've no idea what this type of watch is worth thesedays, but I doubt it'll be a lot. However, if it's running well and it appeals to the buyer maybe it isn`t too heavy. As ever, the cost of servicing/sorting out can have a major influence on whether the watch is a good buy, back in the 90s I had watches like this serviced for under £20!........those days are long gone.

Paul

Master
    LANgendorf COmpany has been on market for a longer amount of time.

How ever... I am sorry to rain on your parade...

Lanco labeled watches were on market since 1950 as it was mentioned. And second... It is hilariously overpriced. And I mean... Hodinkee level overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    LANgendorf COmpany has been on market for a longer amount of time.

How ever... I am sorry to rain on your parade...

Lanco labeled watches were on market since 1950 as it was mentioned. And second... It is hilariously overpriced. And I mean... Hodinkee level overpriced.

Looks like the Lanco name was first registered in 1913 by Langendorf.

http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php?sit...rk#sucheMarker

Nice watch, looks genuine to me. Probably 1930-ish, lovely Art Deco dial.

Craftsman
    It looks 1930's but was it made then? I don't want a 70's reproduction of an early watch, that's my fear. What about the movement? Is this a way of telling whether it has some age to it?

Grand Master
    The movement’s definitely not 70s!

It’s a 20s/30s watch, of that I’m 99% certain.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 22nd May 2018 at 22:34.

I think it probably is a real trench watch and I think it's had a re-dial at some time in it's life.

A few minutes Googling revealed some 1930s and 1940s LANCOs and a reference to it being one trademark used by the company from 1913.

As Paul said, it's clear the dial was designed to include the name, so why pick something esoteric like Lanco if you were going to pick a name at random?

Probably genuine, I found a photo of a very similar looking Lanco movement that someone reckoned was 30-35, but could be post WW2...

M

Just to add in here that most trench watches were WW1 inspired. By WW2 there were a ready supply of issued military wrist watches.

A true trench watch would date to 1910-1920 or so. The wrist watch, rather than a converted fob watch, then makes an appearance.

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone, although the answer wasn't concrete I've gone for it. Hope it looks as good in the flesh.

Craftsman
    Watch arrived (trusted seller) and it looks great I think. Let's hope the other half likes it as well.