closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nixie Stuff - Not Only Clocks!

Nixie Stuff - Not Only Clocks!

I do like the warmth of a cold cathode display. I’ve built a couple of Nixie tube clocks and there’s a thread about the watch, but it’s always nice to see them in action in the equipment that they were originally intended for. I recently spotted some still going strong in a frequency counter in the wonderful Quito Astronomical Observatory (apologies for the lack of a photograph).

Here’s a Polish built Meratronik V543 multimeter that I use occasionally. It has a lovely clear display with 30mm tall digits.

And a 1971 Anita 1011 LSI calculator.

Of course no thread about Nixie tubes would be complete without a few gratuitous clock photographs. I’m a big fan of orange coated Z566M tubes (the same as used in the multimeter). They have very good contrast in daylight and work well with the green LED backlight.

I’ll write something about the smaller clock in a separate post, but for now here’s the watch.

The first Nixie clock that I built featured inexpensive Russian ИН-12Б end view tubes which have an inverted '2' for the '5'. This was something that I found rather displeasing about their design.

NB The LED backlight colour is programmable, I usually have it on a random setting.

I was delighted when PV Electronics began to stock German AEG ZM 1100 orange coated tubes. Although very slightly smaller than the ИН-12Б, they have exactly the same pin layout and spacing. Crucially, they have a much more pleasing design of numeral and the orange coating improves daylight visibility (but can also easily be removed).

It was a simple matter to swap them over, and I'm very happy with the result.

Journeyman
    I've always thought these look quite good. Never got round to building one myself, what's the best place to get bits, are there any kits available?

I like this thread already.

Question: can I wear the watch in the shower?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarytea View Post
    I've always thought these look quite good. Never got round to building one myself, what's the best place to get bits, are there any kits available?
    I've found PVElectonics - as referenced by Mr Curta above - to be very helpful in the past.

I also like the Cathode Ray Tube clocks.

Sensible question now - can you leave the nixie clocks on to run continuously, is this advisable, and if so, how long do the tubes last?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Mines been running continuously since I built it in 2007, three tubes replaced so far. The tubes in mine are Russian IN18's and are quite tall at 42mm. They don't usually fail completely, when they do then various digits normally start having sections that fail to glow.

This thread has reminded me to start building the kit I insisted on being given...

for Christmas. 🤫

Quote Originally Posted by sugarytea View Post
    PV Electronics is your best bet, good customer service and a great range of kits with excellent instructions. Nocrotec also has some nice kits and is a reliable source for individual tubes and data sheets but the website isn't the easiest to navigate.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I like this thread already.

Question: can I wear the watch in the shower?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Sensible question now - can you leave the nixie clocks on to run continuously, is this advisable, and if so, how long do the tubes last?
    I leave mine running 24/7. It is very important to activate all of the cathodes (the individual numbers) regularly to avoid 'cathode poisoning'. This is where material builds up on the inactive cathodes causing a coating that eventually makes sections of digits fail to glow. All of the kits from PV Electronics feature a 'slot machine' mode which cycles rapidly through all the digits every ten minutes or so to prevent cathode poisoning, it also looks pretty cool in action. They also feature a Night Mode that dims or blanks the display but that's more about personal comfort.

Like most things, Nixie tubes come in varying quality. This is often reflected in the price (but not always as scarcity is a significant factor). Most German tubes are excellent, and tend to have aesthetically pleasing digits.

I've not needed to replace any tubes in ten years or so but did buy a spare for the watch, just in case. I was delighted to discover that it houses English made Burroughs 5870ST tubes. As they are controlled by an accelerometer to preserve battery life (2 - 3 weeks on a full charge) I imagine that it is unlikely that one will fail any time soon.

Journeyman
    I am not sure i possess the skill for a kit! - anybody recommend a site for pre built?

Thanks,

Glenn

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Cool 😎

Every time these are posted I decide I need to either have a go at making one or buy one......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ggmiller View Post
    I am not sure i possess the skill for a kit! - anybody recommend a site for pre built?

Thanks,

Glenn
    Must admit I really fancy one but probably would struggle too.

ook

I do like my Nixie watch , It's errr, a little different to your normal timepiece.

Quote Originally Posted by ggmiller View Post

Thanks,

Glenn

lots on etsy or ebay, just do your research on the sellers first.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    lots on etsy or ebay, just do your research on the sellers first.
    Thanks, I had spotted some on eBay but did not think of Easy - will take a look there.