closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Could these be the three only set >>>

Blog Entries

Could these be the three only set >>>

After some other posts on this subject it got me wondering if I could whittle my current eight down to these three:

Patek 5146J

Patek 5167A-001

Breitling Evo night mission

I doubt it, but I think these would be the last to go.

Martyn

(The 5167a is with Patek but should be with me in June)

I have also a 'holy grail' set of three, which for a long time i thought would be the apogee of watch collecting for me. I'm very happy to have achieved my goal, and have thought about posting a picture of them all together : sinn Ezm1, ezm2 and arktis.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Man, it's worth a try. That should comfortably cover most bases.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I have also a 'holy grail' set of three, which for a long time i thought would be the apogee of watch collecting for me. I'm very happy to have achieved my goal, and have thought about posting a picture of them all together : sinn Ezm1, ezm2 and arktis.
    I'm currently rationalising my 10 Seiko collection down to a much lower number and have developed a fondness for Sinn. I have a 556i on order, but hope to round it out with a U1 (or 757 if I can justify the cost), plus I will probably retain 1 Seiko (undecided which, will be a very difficult choice).

More than 5 watches is definitely too many to actually get the wear out of them, and in the mean time they're just creeping closer to needing money spending on them to service them.

For me, variety is the spice of life - so I'd keep all you have, until and unless you need to free up cash!

I think it can be done! The Patek 5146J is a beaut.

I think you’re well covered there. I bought a 5167a last week and could easily wear it every day. It’s surprised me how much I enjoy wearing it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    I think you’re well covered there. I bought a 5167a last week and could easily wear it every day. It’s surprised me how much I enjoy wearing it!
    Indeed its a superb high end daily wearer, so versatile and light!!! Only problem is now I want to swap for the 5164

My 3 are about to be:

5711 Nautilus
    5167 Aquanaut
    116500 white Daytona

Just the Daytona to pick up next month!
    Last edited by kultschar; 21st May 2018 at 16:04.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    After some other posts on this subject it got me wondering if I could whittle my current eight down to these three:

Patek 5146J

Patek 5167A-001

Breitling Evo night mission

I doubt it, but I think these would be the last to go.

Martyn

(The 5167a is with Patek but should be with me in June)
    Very nice

Master
    The watches aren't the issue, it's the desire to change and buy. No group of watches will protect us from that urge..the desire for change is so powerful.
    I've had Daytonas and 5711s. Sadly, didn't make the slightest difference. Maybe you're tougher! Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The watches aren't the issue, it's the desire to change and buy. No group of watches will protect us from that urge..the desire for change is so powerful.
    I've had Daytonas and 5711s. Sadly, didn't make the slightest difference. Maybe you're tougher! Good luck.
    I think you are right Peter - I am already eyeing up a potential addition. This is an addiction - but if kept within bounds without hurting anyone - financially or emotionally - is relatively harmless.

Think I’d like something quirky to go with those 3 - something like a journe maybe otherwise I’d be chuffed with those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me those 3 would be enough to cover any situation and do it with a smile every time I looked at my wrist.

As for the addiction to buying and trying new watches my way around that will be to Add a fourth watch which is my flipper still topping out at 4 3 keepers and I one to scratch the itch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would prefer a splash of colour in the mix (some red/blue/green), maybe switch the 5167 for a 5968, or add the new Rolex GMT). But, other than that, a nice trio !

Craftsman
    Swap the Evo for a Speedmaster and I'd say yes :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    Swap the Evo for a Speedmaster and I'd say yes :)
    Just not comfortable with the wrt on the Speedy for a ‘holiday’ watch in the pool - the evo has some alarms and stuff useful when away from home

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I would prefer a splash of colour in the mix (some red/blue/green), maybe switch the 5167 for a 5968, or add the new Rolex GMT). But, other than that, a nice trio !
    The 5968 felt too big to me, loved the colour but it felt more like an AP ROO. One of the current range of Rolex gmt2c could fit in nicely though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    The 5968 felt too big to me, loved the colour but it felt more like an AP ROO. One of the current range of Rolex gmt2c could fit in nicely though.
    I could swap out the Evo for my YM. Else it would be the new gmt Pepsi in maybe 3y-10y time (ha ha): I prefer the more classic case shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Indeed its a superb high end daily wearer, so versatile and light!!! Only problem is now I want to swap for the 5164

My 3 are about to be:

5711 Nautilus
    5167 Aquanaut
    116500 white Daytona

Just the Daytona to pick up next month!
    Well if you are ever considering selling your 5167A.........

Lovely trio Martyn
    Especially the 5146J
    That was the first Patek that I bought and it’s a fantastic watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Well if you are ever considering selling your 5167A.........
    Sometime 2019 I reckon mate by the time I save up the difference!!

All great suggestions, for me

PP Aquanaut
    PP World Time
    Marcus Hublot Big bang red

Master
    I've had what amounts to a 3-watch set for some time:
    1. Rolex 16710 GMT II
    2. Fortis B-42 Official Cosmonaut Chrono - the Lemania 5100, Titanium LE version
    3. Omega Seamaster Quartz 2264 - the sword hands version.

I've made various attempts to displace these. A Speedy Pro stayed for a few years but was ultimately sacrificed to fund the Rolex; a few Revue Thommen Airspeed chronographs have come and gone, though I recently bought another auto Lemania 5100 version which I'm enjoying. Whether it or the Fortis stays is still up in the air, though I suspect the Fortis would only go is if it opened the door to something absolutely wonderful.

The reason is that each fills a particular (GMT/Chrono/Diver) niche very well. Each is, in some way, close to the peak of what can be done. Yet each is versatile enough to be used for other purposes. I can swim (could even dive) in the Rolex or the Fortis (would never do that in the Speedy); use the Omega (with its quick-set hour hand) for travel; even wear the Fortis to business meetings, despite its size. Each is truly multi-purpose; yet doesn't overlap the others too much.

Having what is close to the perfect set is tantalising. I waste time thinking of improvements and additions when I already have a set that serves me very well. For example, I could:

• Split the Fortis functions between, say, the 7-hand full spec centre minute chrono that the Revue Thommen is, and a minimalist Sinn EZM1; but that would mean losing one of the best chronographs ever made;
    • Replace the SMP Quartz with a WatchCo Omega SM300 for the arguably more classic MilSpec sword hands, acrylic crystal and the lumed bezel; but that means spending more money to replace a versatile, affordable grab n' go watch with great travel capabilities.
    • Add a GMT Chrono to combine two of my favourite functions. Though this means a chrono that's not as legible as the Fortis and a GMT that's not as restrained in style and size as the Rolex.
    • Add a 3-hander, like an IWC Mk XV. Yet I've also had a 1981 CWC Fat Case Navigator for 30+ years, and it only comes out for couple of days a year, partly because it's not waterproof and has no lume, partly because I like the other functions the others offer.

Yet, the calm logic of hanging on to what I have is constantly threatened by the emotional thrill of the chase for something new, of chasing my own tail...

Blog Entries
    So the 5167A is now back from (a complementary Patek) service, all paid for and now on wrist - adjusted strap - as of today! I could not be happier. It does not look ostentatious - just pure form over function. I plan to do a little write up later. For now - just one picture: