closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seamaster 300m clasp opening problem and service

Seamaster 300m clasp opening problem and service

hi guys,

The clasp on my Seamaster 2551.80.00 keeps opening on it's own (it looks like the locking mechanism isn't grasping the tab on the bracelet properly, so it pops open if either of the opening taps is slightly pressed). Has anyone experienced this before and if so, did it need a new clasp? Does anyone know how much this might cost please?

Any recommendations on somewhere decent to get the watch serviced (there's nothing wrong with it mechanically) and lightly polished would be appreciated too. I've seen Simon Freese recommended before.

Thanks in advance.

Probably just the spring in the clasp easy enough to get replaced, I have seen some ads quote for the whole clasp because they don't know enough about the parts available.
    I can help out if you get stuck, feel free to pm me.
    A complete clasp will cost you about £85 the spring about £7-£10
    Last edited by animalone; 20th May 2018 at 20:36.

Master
    Yes it happened to my micro adjustable clasp recently, it wasn't even a year old and Omega replaced it for a new one, there was no repair.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    Probably just the spring in the clasp easy enough to get replaced, I have seen some ads quote for the whole clasp because they don't know enough about the parts available.
    I can help out if you get stuck, feel free to pm me.
    A complete clasp will cost you about £85 the spring about £7-£10
    Agreed....provide the spring is still available. I used to keep one in stock because it’s a common failing, but I haven’t tried ordering one for over a year.

I’ve fixed a few of these and sometimes the problem is due to the mushroom/pip that locates in the spring being worn too.

There’s also a chance that a good clean will fix it, if it’s full of dirt it may be sticking.

Paul

Run it under the tap at full blast on the clasp.

If that fails to fix it, take the opportunity to upgrade to a microadjust ratchet clasp, if one is available that would be compatible with that model's bracelet.

Thanks for the comments guys. This was my daily wearer for 10 years so it could be the mushroom that is worn?

I took this to Omega a few years ago and they quoted £250 for a new clasp so I decided not to do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys. This was my daily wearer for 10 years so it could be the mushroom that is worn?

I took this to Omega a few years ago and they quoted £250 for a new clasp so I decided not to do anything about it.
    The reference for the clasp is 117ST1502824 it should cost about £85 Don't know where the £250 comes from??
    The spring is still available (couple of pounds) I would still check that first if the rest of the clasp is in good condition (i.e. not stretched and worn) as it is one of those things that does fail.

Thanks Animalone and for your earlier reply offering help. I may PM you! The £250 came from one of the sales people in the Omega shop, it was probably just an incorrect guess based on what everyone is saying here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    Thanks Animalone and for your earlier reply offering help. I may PM you! The £250 came from one of the sales people in the Omega shop, it was probably just an incorrect guess based on what everyone is saying here.
    I only paid £75 for my adjustable clasp with some discount

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Paid 75 and 85 for my 1154 and 1159.

thanks chaps, I will look around and see if I can pick a new one up (hoping it is not the mushroom as that part may need to be replaced too if it is!).

Grand Master
    It's highly likely a new spring will fix it. The mushroom wears slightly but the spring wears more. Shame the mushroom can`t be turned through 90° to present a fresh wearing surface, I`ve tried this but it's not feasible because it won`t move, and the risk of damage is too great to use too much force on it.

I would also check the bracelet pins in the removable links, these wear and can eventually fall out. If the clasp's worn there's a chance the pins are getting a bit sloppy too. Despite the rugged feel of these bracelets they're not the best design, the pins would be better if they were thicker or more resistant to wear. Despite the failings I do like them, my bimetal SMP is one of the watches I`d never sell.

If you've had an offer of help I`d seriously consider it!

Paul