closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jaeger 6B/159 worth repairing?

Master

Jaeger 6B/159 worth repairing?

Long story short I have been tasked with selling a LeCoultre from the 1940's.

I believe it's running the 6B/159 movement which was a common WW2 military calibre, movement signed Jaeger Lecoultre.

Seems to be all original (other than a dodgy red second hand) but sadly it's not running. Balance is intact but it's dry as a bone and not showing any signs of life.

Basic question; is it worth restoring, or should I just break it and sell it for parts?

The watch is gold plated, not the plain steel model. If it was steel they are bringing £1500 ish restored, but I can't find another g/p one to even compare too. Clearly it is much less common, but is it also less desirable?

Second question; would any of the vintage repairers on here (vintage Swiss collectors and/or military collectors) be interested in it? I've e.bayed it at a very ambitious £600 (with offers wide open, I just didn't want to under-sell it) but not tried it in SC yet.

First and foremost I would like to know if I should keep it intact or just strip it for parts. It's probably worth more parted out but I really hate doing that with vintage watches, there might be a collector just willing to take this on and rescue it.

Thanks.

Last edited by kevkojak; 20th May 2018 at 18:22.

As a vintage collector I hate the idea of stripping a watch for parts unless there is no other option (for example dial and case damaged beyond repair)

I would always say get the movement serviced I have no idea of the value of the watch but as you know, you always have a willing buyer of vintage watches here.

You're going to get your desired money a lot faster by selling it as is than stripping it for pats. Also I, too, do not agree with this practice (unless the watch is a complete goner and is destined to be a donor watch).

I would get it serviced first so as to sell it as functional and not non-working. Quite possibly it'll just need a stripping down, cleaning and relubing.

Generally gold plated vintages are the least desirable. Either SS or solid gold are preferred because there's no plating to wear off.

By the way this part is not supposed to sit like this. Is it broken or is it by any chance underneath the wheel or blocking it ? It's supposed to be on top and it might not be the original one for the movement as in other photos it looks different.

Last edited by ordo; 20th May 2018 at 18:38.

Master
    Hi ordo, I have absolutely no idea... apart from removing the back to check the balance I've not touched it, so it's a total guess. If it's broken could that be stopping the movement from functioning?

I only handled one watch movement with this type of system. The wheel that the little spring is supposed to cover and hold in place is actually the connected to a staff that the seconds hand is attached to on the other side.

I believe that if that wheel is blocked you block the entire movement...

If you want you can take a closer photo or two from different angles... Not saying it's the problem with the watch but... who knows.

6B/159 isn't a calibre. That's a military watch designation for an Air Ministry watch. The JLC calibre on those watches was 470.

Cheers

Foggy

Master
    What a star, thanks Ian. All I have to go on is the Google image search!

It should have a bent piece of thin metal which holds the gear in place Kev, like the pic below.

The part you have will definitely stop the movement from working.

I've no idea about value I'm afraid but I'd be loathed to break it for parts.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    Handy info, thank you.

I think I might just pop it on auction on ebay with a bit of a reserve on it - sounds like it's out of my comfort zone this one.

Thank you all.

If a part needs replacing there are a few who can build a part for you, cant Brendan do this? Also there is woodland technical who may be able to do this for you.

Craftsman
    Used to have one similar in SS - plus have seen at least another one go through MWR with that red seconds hand - so think there was a civilian issue with that format. Never seen one GP though til this - that part that is in the wrong place is the friction spring - I had Brendan (already cited above) sort my old one out before getting a NOS from Otto Frei at no little expense .. Google for Claudio and 6b/159 for what the correct issued ones are supposed to look like ;-)

itll will run with a misplaced friction spring - but badly, and the seconds hand won't progress in a way you'd like...

al

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    If a part needs replacing there are a few who can build a part for you, cant Brendan do this? Also there is woodland technical who may be able to do this for you.
    I'd go with this, Brendan would be the man to ask when he's back from hols.