closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is your Watch worth more than your car ?

Master

Is your Watch worth more than your car ?

If you have more than One (Car or Watch) then quote your main user.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It never used to be the case but since a move last year reduced our reliance on a car, I can say yes, most of the time the watch I am wearing is worth more than the car I am in.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Up until last week every watch I own was worth more than my car, I picked up a new car last week and can categorically say this will not be the case for many years to come.

Master
    I have 6 or 7 watches worth more than my car.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Up until last week every watch I own was worth more than my car, I picked up a new car last week and can categorically say this will not be the case for many years to come.
    Same here. I used to drive a Ford Mondeo ST220 for 14 years (I really loved that car). Last month I bought a new Focus ST, and got €4000 back for my old car. Every single watch I own is worth more than that. Still, I miss my old car. A lot. Probably more than I'd miss any of my watches.
    Last edited by Skyfire; 20th May 2018 at 10:51.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Would help if I knew what my car was worth 😂

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    Same here. I used to drive a Ford Mondeo ST220 for 14 years (I really loved that car). Last month I bought a new Focus ST, and got €4000 back for my old car. Every single watch I own is worth more than that. Still, I miss my old car. A lot. Probably more than I'd miss any of my watches.
    Similar to you guys; until recently I had two watches worth more than my car but had to change the car. As with you Ben, it’ll probably be many years before I change again.

Master

Has been but not now?

I’ve had a few years where my watch was worth more but since having more wages and also buying a Vintage car plus a Lotus toy then that’s not the case now🤗🤗
    Have had years where I’ve owned a few when we first started out many years ago and realised that a couple of good purchases had indeed overtaken the car in value but it would have to be a vintage Daytona or similar and that’s not happening any time soon, never say never though!!

Chris

I can safely say that even the cheapest watch I've ever owned cost more than the most expense car I've every owned.

Yes. But then you haven't seen my car! :)))
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Yes. But the value of my watches keeps increasing and my cars keep costing me money, beyond the value of my watches.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

No and never will be, but collection is

Yes, but then again I only paid £425.00 for my car, so not too difficult really.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Would help if I knew what my car was worth 
    Tell us what car it is and we can guess.

Master
    Depends on how you look at it.

I only ever do pch or pcp so the equity in the car at any time is between zero and far less than any watch I own.

The car value however is always a lot more than the value of one of my watches.

My total watch collection is worth more than my car, but I don't have a fancy car as it's not important to me, it's just a device to face the sheer hell of moving from one place to another in the all-out war that is the UK roads. I dread driving, but enjoy watches, so there is that as justification.

Until I changed the motor recently, I had several watches that exceeded its value by a multiple.

- - - Updated - - -

And it was a cracking car :)

Not at the moment, but there have been occasions when that would have been the case.

We currently have two cars with a combined value that is less than a few watches I have, I can't help but smile whenever I see huge new cars costing so much money,

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

No chance.

Oh Yes - let it never be said that I have my priorities mixed up.

It's just that the question does seem slightly judgemental.

Master
    I suppose, based on the trade-in price I got for my car last month, at the start of this year I may have had a watch that was worth a bit more. Now, definitely not as I bought nearly new.
    I’ve never consciously thought about watch value versus car value, though the general principle that the former depreciates hugely and the latter (correctly chosen!) may not is one I have often shared with my wife, financial adviser and others.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Yep, I don't own a car so even my G Shock is worth more

Pitch

Master
    It never used to be but I sold my second car to pay for house renovations.

Craftsman
    No.
    But my last car cost more than my first house.

Master
    I have a vintage 48 year old VW camper van in mint condition which I imported from California many years ago (not a single weld on it) so I have to say no.

Maybe I need to treat myself to a new watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    No, not any single watch.

Blog Entries
    I don’t have a ‘main user’ watch - I wear them all. So answer is Yes and No.

i do own both my watches and cars outright. I doubt many new cars are owned outright by the average Jo though.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 20th May 2018 at 13:34.

Craftsman
    In my collection there are at least 2 watches that are worth more than my current daily driver.
    Also own 2 vintage Mercs that are only ever used in the summer.

My entire collection is worth about the average detached house price for the UK

Master
    No. The value of my entire collection is just above half of what the car is currently worth. Then again I only have a small number of watches by this forum’s standards. However, watches are owned outright whereas car is on a PCP.

New topic idea: what is cheaper, your watch or your wife?

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    I’ve a feeling with the new UK MOT regime coming into play today a few people with watches from Argos are going to be able to answer ‘yes’ in the coming months.

We are at that stage of owning a faithful old Octavia when nothing expensive has started to go wrong with it and we are quietly running it into the ground. I use that car most days.
    I can safely say I have over a dozen watches that are each worth more than this old jalopy is.

Dave

Some of my watches are worth more than some of my cars.
    "A man of little significance"

Well my car is worth more than my watch but that's because my watches are not all that expensive, but I would much rather drop £6-7k on a Rolex than a £20k on a car, but I have zero interest in cars, they get me from A to B and nothing more. Sadly where I live and for my job I need one, but I would love to not have the expense of one and wouldn't miss anything apart from the convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    New topic idea: what is cheaper, your watch or your wife?
    She has more complications and servicing takes a while.

My small collection is worth more than my work car as I'm customer facing so can't turn up in anything too expensive, but the car I own (which never goes to work) is worth twice as much as my watch collection.

The way I see it, cars are generally depreciating and the running costs of a car you love can be eye watering (simple detail at £450, insurance at £1000, a garage...) so I'd never judge someone for spending more on watches than cars.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My car is only worth 600 quid.

Answer is no although my wife has a watch that is worth more than our cheapest car, but her other watches probably only add up to a couple of new tyres for the car.
    My most expensive watch is probably half the value of this car but my collection is probably
    worth a bit over double.

like my watches, love this car....it’s an MX5

Journeyman
    Would like to say I purchased a Patek 5216P with the proceeds of my last car sale.

Had better things to do/worry about.

My watches are worth more than my car as I’m currently leasing. I was once told that in life if an asset depreciates, rent it and if an asset appreciates, then own it. Every Rolex I’ve bought over the last 7 years has appreciated yet every car I’ve owned in the same period has lost money. For me now, a brand new car on a lease for a low fixed monthly outgoing (normally the depreciation the manufacturer deems the car will lose), seems a better bet than buying a car outright and losing the depreciation any way...

Master
    Individual watch no, collection yes. I used to worry if this made sense, but most cars depreciate rapidly and eventually fall to bits, while decent watches don’t.

Journeyman
    Alec Bladwin's watch certainly cost more than your car.

I would have found that situation to be ludicrous before gaining a passion for watches. I would feel perfectly comfortable owning a watch worth my than my car. At present, I lease a fairly decent car as I do a lot of miles for work. In the future I'd like to spend more on watches and less on cars.

Banned
    I'd be very happy to own a watch that's worth more than my car. I always bought brand new cars when I was working but, then I was doing a lot of miles a year to and from work so needed something reliable. Even so, I always hated the idea of spending tens of thousands of pounds on something that stood out on the street or parked in a car park for anyone to damage either accidentally or maliciously.

Apprentice
    My watches are definitely worth more than my car, but then my bike is worth more than my watches. I know, priorities, priorities... I'm working on it.

Individually yes, collectively yes. Which do I enjoy more...no contest. Not to generalise but I suspect a lot of us enjoy the precision and mechanical excellence which goes into a watch. All the parts working together to complete a specific and complicated task. Cars do the same I suppose but I couldn't give a monkeys about them.
    J

My sub is definitely worth more than my daily but not as much as my race car.

Quote Originally Posted by Euan Begbie View Post
    My sub is definitely worth more than my daily but not as much as my race car.
    Great answer! Can we have a picture?

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app