closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New MOT test rules....

New MOT test rules....

...are coming into force soon I've just read on the Beeb web.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44167243

One particular element does seem very harsh "A diesel vehicle will fail its MOT if there is smoke of any colour coming from the exhaust"

Surely this will knock every black cab into oblivion and a mighty number of other vehicles too ?

My car has a Euro 6 diesel engine so no issue there but my bread and butter works Berlingo van, not so, and even with extremely regular (5000 mile) servicing and replacement of oil, fuel and air filters, it still lets out a touch of dark smoke on hard acceleration......

Might have to join the 'leccy van brigade (although I don't necessarily want to just yet)...

Opinions sought ?
    Last edited by reggie747; 20th May 2018 at 09:07.

Blog Entries
    Ever tried an injector cleaner additive? It can do wonders. 5000 mls intervals make me think of short distances and lots of stop-starts. If so, fill the tank with a proper brand additive, fill the tank with premium brand diesel and take the car for a 100 mls trip, trying to keep the revs around 3k rpm. Not the obvious 5th or 6th gear. The distance + revs + additive will burn a lot of deposite, lowering the chance of smoke coming from the exhaust.

Further: high milage engines tend to have some wear between the pistons and cylinder wall. A slightly thicker type of oil can help as well. Mind you, don’t overdo it! Don’t poor in a syrup-style oil!

Only go the ‘oil route’ when the additive and the long drive aren’t succesful

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've been discussing this on the T4 forum as I have a 2003 T4. From what I gathered older vehicles including mine will not be subjected to the harsh/strict rules as much! Also it's geared more towards people who have blanked off EGR valves and DPF filters.

I'm not sure how true this is but I hope it is. I've only just got the T4.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Ever tried an injector cleaner additive? It can do wonders. 5000 mls intervals make me think of short distances and lots of stop-starts. If so, fill the tank with a proper brand additive, fill the tank with premium brand diesel and take the car for a 100 mls trip, trying to keep the revs around 3k rpm. Not the obvious 5th or 6th gear. The distance + revs + additive will burn a lot of deposite, lowering the chance of smoke coming from the exhaust.

Further: high milage engines tend to have some wear between the pistons and cylinder wall. A slightly thicker type of oil can help as well. Mind you, don’t overdo it! Don’t poor in a syrup-style oil!

Only go the ‘oil route’ when the additive and the long drive aren’t succesful
    No, I actually haven't if I'm honest Menno, thanks for the info. You're spot on with my van usage estimate so I'll certainly try your recommendation.
    It doesn't belch out clouds but there is a shadow apparent with hard throttle.
    Current oil used is 5w-30 if I recall ?

Thanks

Or if it works for you, just go electric.

I did three years ago and wouldn’t go back to ICE.

You just have to be sure that you’ve either hit the range or the correct charging infrastructure where you use the vehicle.

The Nissan e-NV200 van which currently has a 24kwhr battery will be available with the 40kwhr battery from June which will nearly double the van’s range from a single charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Or if it works for you, just go electric.

I did three years ago and wouldn’t go back to ICE.

You just have to be sure that you’ve either hit the range or the correct charging infrastructure where you use the vehicle.

The Nissan e-NV200 van which currently has a 24kwhr battery will be available with the 40kwhr battery from June which will nearly double the van’s range from a single charge.
    Dave.... yes, that thought has crossed my mind but I'd figured it was a good few years away yet (and it still could be).
    I tend to work inside a 3-4 mile radius from home with the van maybe popping out once or twice a day by others and yes, charging could be sorted at home on my driveway at night so easily achievable. I'm aware that there is an electric Berlingo in the offering too.

Thanks

What I always suggest when talking to people is that they keep a log of the mileage they do each day for a month or so.
    That will tell you whether an electric vehicle will work for you.

If it does work for you then it really is a no brainer, the savings can be substantial and they really are so much nicer to drive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    No, I actually haven't if I'm honest Menno, thanks for the info. You're spot on with my van usage estimate so I'll certainly try your recommendation.
    It doesn't belch out clouds but there is a shadow apparent with hard throttle.
    Current oil used is 5w-30 if I recall ?

Thanks
    5w-30 is more or less the standard for 'normal' diesel engines and will do the trick. 5w-40 in high mileage engines or start-stop situations can helpful. Be sure to get the same brand and specs, just to be sure you won't mix up various types of oil (synth/non synth etc). A good workshop can help you with that!

Does the car have an EGR system? If so, cleaning that is always a good idea. Most of the time, the car's CPU has a special program for that. You can also replace the EGR valve. But be careful! Since Citroen has landed on the Chinese market, cheap Chinese EGR valves are flooding Europe...

M

My other half has a diesel Skoda which is one of the ones affected by the VW emissions scandal. They keep sending reminders to take the car in and have the update done, but after I researched this it was clear it reduced performance and efficiency so I've done everything I can to avoid this.

The car was MOTd recently with no problems (though not at a main dealer)... Does anyone know if I will ultimately get caught out by this and be forced to have the crippling update to the car?

Master
    One other rule that’s going to get people will be the EML. Probably tied in with the emissions as most EML’s I see these days are EGR issues. I’ve got a customer who runs about 20 old vans that they poodle about on site, most of them have blanked off EGR’s and lights on because of it. You clean them or put a new one on and they last 5 minutes before they’re giving EML’s again due to position errors etc. Totally impractical. Used to get it all the time when I looked after new fleet vans, all the utility companies across London in their new transits. Just don’t get the run they need to keep stuff clear.

Master
    One particular element does seem very harsh "A diesel vehicle will fail its MOT if there is smoke of any colour coming from the exhaust"
    I think that's only applicable if the vehicle is fitted with a DPM
    https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....ml#section_8.2
    See section 8.2.2.2

I suspect that a lot, if not most chipped diesels, and ones that have had the dpf removed, even if the canister is still there are going to fail.
    Wonder if there may be some form of legal action taken against a garage for dpf and or egr deletion, even if they agreed to it.

Master
    I can see this having a bit of an impact on the second-hand car market. I'm looking for a car at the moment & I'd certainly want to see evidence of it passing the new MoT before I handed over any money.

Craftsman
    I’m an MOT tester. The 'no smoke‘ failure that people keep referring to only applies to diesel cars with DPF’s fitted. You often can’t get a smoke meter reading on those cars anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    I’m an MOT tester. The 'no smoke‘ failure that people keep referring to only applies to diesel cars with DPF’s fitted. You often can’t get a smoke meter reading on those cars anyway.
    Username checks out.

How do the new regs handle oil leaks
    My Defender 110 1995 2.5 n/a marks her territory every where she goes.
    She smokes a touch under heavy footed acceleration too.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyboy View Post
    My other half has a diesel Skoda which is one of the ones affected by the VW emissions scandal. They keep sending reminders to take the car in and have the update done, but after I researched this it was clear it reduced performance and efficiency so I've done everything I can to avoid this.

The car was MOTd recently with no problems (though not at a main dealer)... Does anyone know if I will ultimately get caught out by this and be forced to have the crippling update to the car?
    Knowing what I know now I wouldn't touch the update with a barge pole. Had it applied to my wife's Tiguan after 5 years of trouble free use and for the next 6 months it spent more time with VW than us. In the end we just couldn't rely on it and sadly it had to go for a petrol 4x4 from a non VAG make. They annoyed me that much I also traded my VW.

Not that VW are concerned but made me feel better.

Grand Master
    Having spent 4 hours in a layby waiting for the AA, then having to replace my EGR, i hope my car is able to pass it (plus it's not got a DPF), still amazes me that the car shut down, totally, whilst i was driving along an A road due to the EGR valve being blocked, coasting to that layby with no power was a nice experience!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    How do the new regs handle oil leaks
    My Defender 110 1995 2.5 n/a marks her territory every where she goes.
    She smokes a touch under heavy footed acceleration too.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    According to the new regs as long as the oil leak doesnt form a puddle in excess of 75mm in width with the engine running for 5 minutes you should pass.

As long as the smoke doesn’t 'obscure the vision of other road users' or fail the metered smoke test you should be okay.

Thanks for all the responses fellas

According to the new regs as long as the oil leak doesnt form a puddle in excess of 75mm in width with the engine running for 5 minutes you should pass.

As long as the smoke doesn’t 'obscure the vision of other road users' or fail the metered smoke test you should be okay.

Sounds Good to me She should fly through then ;-) Thanks for the reassurance

Blog Entries
    So in effect, whilst it seems there is some additional rigour applied, there doesn't seem to be quite the "older diesels won't pass" hysteria that was initially suggested?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Having spent 4 hours in a layby waiting for the AA, then having to replace my EGR, i hope my car is able to pass it (plus it's not got a DPF), still amazes me that the car shut down, totally, whilst i was driving along an A road due to the EGR valve being blocked, coasting to that layby with no power was a nice experience!
    I’ve done quite a few Peugeot’s where the actual end of the valve falls off them and you’re buggered. Generally EGR faults don’t render vehicles dead, the majority are pretty sturdy (physically) and won’t fail like that and the valve part is similar to an actual one piece exhaust valve and won’t fall apart.

Most of the faults I see are just a build up of crap and the valve sticking.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    the "older diesels won't pass" hysteria that was initially suggested?
    I must have missed that ??

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the responses fellas
    Let us know the outcome!

M

As part of the new rules, my ‘77 VW T2 doesn’t need a MOT, I’ll still take it for one though, if I put it through one and it fails or passes, will it be recorded as such or will the reg check just come back as exempt? ( Once I get around to filling out the V11 form)

Let us know the outcome!

M
    Will do

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    As part of the new rules, my ‘77 VW T2 doesn’t need a MOT, I’ll still take it for one though, if I put it through one and it fails or passes, will it be recorded as such or will the reg check just come back as exempt? ( Once I get around to filling out the V11 form)
    I had a similar dilemma with my MOT exempt electric van: I get it MOT’d and would get anything necessary repaired just as with any other vehicle.
    You wouldn’t want to be driving an MOT failure on the road anyway would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I had a similar dilemma with my MOT exempt electric van: I get it MOT’d and would get anything necessary repaired just as with any other vehicle.
    You wouldn’t want to be driving an MOT failure on the road anyway would you?
    Indeed not.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Surely this will knock every black cab into oblivion and a mighty number of other vehicles too ?
    (OP's emphasis not mine)

That's how read this paragraph in the opening post. To the point that you're contemplating ditching your current diesel vehicle and moving electric (which is not a bad move imho)
    Last edited by vagabond; 20th May 2018 at 21:17.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    (OP's emphasis not mine)

That's how read this paragraph in the opening post. To the point that you're contemplating ditching your current diesel vehicle and moving electric (which is not a bad move imho)
    Well I'm guessing one mans 'hysteria' is an other mans thoughts here....

Did you have anything relative to my OP or not .......? Didn't think so or you may have supplied something discussive, Never mind eh...

Non standard and upgraded headlights seem to be a big issue, people are saying anything other than standard is a fail

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Non standard and upgraded headlights seem to be a big issue, people are saying anything other than standard is a fail
    I know its what you've heard but how on earth is an MOT tester supposed to ascertain what headlights were standard for any given model?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I know its what you've heard but how on earth is an MOT tester supposed to ascertain what headlights were standard for any given model?
    I don't know, but I did listen to a radio program the other day talking about headlights and the need to bring in laws to stop them getting so bright.

The wavelength and the power delivered by many now are downright dangerous.

I particularly hate the owners of automatic dipping lights when I'm on my bike. I can't see a bloody thing when they don't dip.

Here's hoping it won't be long before there are pretty strict laws governing what can be used.

Completely agree, it's stupid, but so was failing carswith HIDs because they didn't have wipers, but a lot of testers did, have you ever argued with a tester who thinks he's right.

The legislation for hids was nearly brought in because they thought they might blind pilots, but it was never implemented.

Completely agree, it's stupid, but so was failing carswith HIDs because they didn't have wipers, but a lot of testers did, have you ever argued with a tester who thinks he's right.

The legislation for hids was nearly brought in because they thought they might blind pilots, but it was never implemented.
    Yes its crazy as is a lot of RFR now.
    Why a track rod end has to fail for a small cut in the rubber boot is beyond me, yes we all know about water and corrosion and wear but if there's no play in the joint at the time of test then why does it need to fail?
    MOTs we're always about the condition of the car at the time of test, future issues and testers opinions meant nothing. It seems that's changing now.
    Given the track rod end scenario why aren't mildly corroded brake pipes failable for the same reasons?

Master
    Not that difficult really. If a car has xenon/HID headlights then it MUST have headlight washers and be self levelling.
    It’s the boy races who put HID kits in reflector lamps that cause the problems because they just scatter the light everywhere.

Master
    ...are coming into force soon I've just read on the Beeb web.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44167243

My car has a Euro 6 diesel engine so no issue there but my bread and butter works Berlingo van, not so, and even with extremely regular (5000 mile) servicing and replacement of oil, fuel and air filters, it still lets out a touch of dark smoke on hard acceleration......

Might have to join the 'leccy van brigade (although I don't necessarily want to just yet)...

Opinions sought ?
    I don’t know about other boroughs but in my borough taxis are not tested for emissions. They have the usual MOT bar the emissions test and are then given a MOT exemption certificate. Same as police vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I don’t know about other boroughs but in my borough taxis are not tested for emissions. They have the usual MOT bar the emissions test and are then given a MOT exemption certificate. Same as police vehicles.
    if Smokey old taxis are exempt it makes a mockery of the whole thing

Craftsman
    Looks like that’s going to change soon if this proposal goes through.

https://democratic.bridgend.gov.uk/d...20Bridgend.pdf

Looks like that’s going to change soon if this proposal goes through.

https://democratic.bridgend.gov.uk/d...20Bridgend.pdf
    Lets hope Essex and London pick this up, Taxis seem to have special rules here that don't make any sense

Craftsman
    Not that difficult really. If a car has xenon/HID headlights then it MUST have headlight washers and be self levelling.
    It’s the boy races who put HID kits in reflector lamps that cause the problems because they just scatter the light everywhere.
    Doesn’t have to be self levelling.
    Agree about the boy racers with their cheapo HID kits but there are ways around that to get a car through the test legally although it may contravene the construction and use act if they are used on the road.

Craftsman

It’s impossible to fail a car with HID lights because they have no wipers. There is no RfR for it so it simply CANNOT happen. I have no wipers on my Evoque and that has HID lights. In fact, I don’t know of any Land Rover/Range Rover that has wipers yet many have HID lights.

Oh, and you don’t need to argue with a tester if you think he is wrong and you are right. Just lodge an appeal with VOSA, they’ll retest the car pretty quickly and give a ruling. If the tester is wrong they will get points against them and the testing station. No tester or test station wants that.
    Last edited by Motman; 21st May 2018 at 08:02.

Craftsman
    I am glad I got a 2.4 defender now. I do lots of short journeys and if I had gone with the newer 2.2 with dpf, it would have caused me problems and I quite possibly would have considered getting it removed.

The new rules I hear check for this.

Master
    It’s impossible to fail a car with HID lights because they have no wipers. There is no RfR for it so it simply CANNOT happen. I have no wipers on my Evoque and that has HID lights. In fact, I don’t know of any Land Rover/Range Rover that has wipers yet many have HID lights.

Oh, and you don’t need to argue with a tester if you think he is wrong and you are right. Just lodge an appeal with VOSA, they’ll retest the car pretty quickly and give a ruling. If the tester is wrong they will get points against them and the testing station. No tester or test station wants that.
    I think they have to have washers, not wipers, and I have heard that not having them is a fail. It would also suggest they have been retro-fitted, not a huge problem if using a genuine OE part, but more problematic if LED/HID bulbs are just thrown in a reflector not designed for them.

Master

New MOT test rules....

No wipers as such but they do need headlight washers don’t they? And I was under the assumption that all factory fitted xenon/LED headlights have to be self levelling.

EDIT: looks like my reply was being written the same time as the one above.

Does the car have an EGR system? If so, cleaning that is always a good idea. Most of the time, the car's CPU has a special program for that. You can also replace the EGR valve. But be careful! Since Citroen has landed on the Chinese market, cheap Chinese EGR valves are flooding Europe...

M
    EGR valve on my old x Type diesel was a pain, even though it did high mileage and motorway runs daily I also used fuel addative, eventually I fitted a blanking plate to the EGR valve, I even used to remove the inlet manifold as the first few ports were usually choked up.

I don't think you can get away with just blanking off EGR's on most modern diesels due to addition sensors etc, it most likely results in the engine management light coming on.

A large part of my business is manufacturing lights for the car manufacturers, until it was clarified there were lots of testers failing cars with HID lights for all sort of incorrect reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    I think they have to have washers, not wipers, and I have heard that not having them is a fail. It would also suggest they have been retro-fitted, not a huge problem if using a genuine OE part, but more problematic if LED/HID bulbs are just thrown in a reflector not designed for them.

First thing I did on my X-Trail, was to take the fuse out - for the headlamp washer........... You could empty the reservoir in a couple of hours!

Still inhibited - 10 MOTs later.

I guess it isnt part of the test.

Craftsman
    No wipers as such but they do need headlight washers don’t they? And I was under the assumption that all factory fitted xenon/LED headlights have to be self levelling....
    Yep, just a washer if vehicle registered after 2009. Self levelling systems are not compulsory on HID headlamps but if fitted they must be working ALTHOUGH if you cannot determine whether they are working, the benefit must be given to the customer! Don’t know why they bothered adding that one in?