closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mayflies all over my car - any ideas or car cover suggestions?

Mayflies all over my car - any ideas or car cover suggestions?

The mayfly season has started, with a nice even distribution of them over my three cars every day. They are a towering pain to get off the paint, does anyone have a working solution (other than smearing Vaseline over the paint, selling my cars or moving) please? Alternatively can anyone recommend a good, cheap car cover please? It's only needed for the next month or so.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    What are they leaving on the paint?

I have had two really sticky residues left on mine in the past couple of weeks, and have no idea what they were

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    does anyone have a working solution (other than smearing Vaseline over the paint, selling my cars or moving) please?
    Attach an array of brown trout across the front of your bonnet - they will consume any mayfly within striking distance leaving your car paintwork blemish-free.

Craftsman
    I imagine they are messy but I would advise against a car cover , the cars needs to be clean before you put it on and even then they can marr the paintwork .

Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    I imagine they are messy but I would advise against a car cover , the cars needs to be clean before you put it on and even then they can marr the paintwork .
    I don't tend to drive them much so keeping them clean (and dry) isn't a huge issue.

They're not just messy, they stick to the paint and bake onto it. You have to wash your car every day and it takes a lot of effort to get them off. Last year I had to spend a lot of time polishing the paint on three cars once they'd all killed themselves. I'd rather take my chances with a car cover for a month than spend every day trying to remove hundreds of dead insects, each etched into the paint.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Attach an array of brown trout across the front of your bonnet - they will consume any mayfly within striking distance leaving your car paintwork blemish-free.
    Don’t be silly, you need a local authority licence to attach brown trout to a car bonnet, unless you are a ‘fine and upstanding’ member of the travelling community of course, then you can do what the *uck you like, where and when you like!
    Last edited by KavKav; 20th May 2018 at 15:26.

Fine and upstanding, contradiction if ever there was.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Something like this prior to washing should make it easier.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...ower-cat2.html

Magic Sponge-Autoglym ones are best! Can be abrasive on paintwork though.

Great for all sorts of things around the house too, spiders poo on your UPVC frames is a good un!

Blog Entries
    Give it a day
    ...& they’ll be gone

z

Ceramic coating as part of a full detail, then they won't stick. I recommend Siramik

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRS2113 View Post
    Ceramic coating as part of a full detail, then they won't stick. I recommend Siramik
    Interesting (and the magic sponge, some of which I have from the pound shop), thanks.

I don't tend to drive them much so keeping them clean (and dry) isn't a huge issue.

They're not just messy, they stick to the paint and bake onto it. You have to wash your car every day and it takes a lot of effort to get them off. Last year I had to spend a lot of time polishing the paint on three cars once they'd all killed themselves. I'd rather take my chances with a car cover for a month than spend every day trying to remove hundreds of dead insects, each etched into the paint.
    I might be missing something here, but are the dead mayflies not a result of you hitting them whilst driving?

We get them bad in the country lanes down here and it means I have to wear a full-face helmet when biking: the result of wearing an open-face lid is beyond disgusting. :-(

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 20th May 2018 at 16:35.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I might be missing something here, but are the dead mayflies not a result of you hitting them whilst driving?

We get them bad in the country lanes down here and it means I have to wear a full-face helmet when biking: the result of wearing an open-face lid is beyond disgusting. :-(

R
    Yep, you're missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Yep, you're missing something.
    Perhaps I am. There's no 'naturally deceased' mayflies on any of my parked cars.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Interesting (and the magic sponge, some of which I have from the pound shop), thanks.
    Pound shop ones are useless I’m afraid!

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Pound shop ones are useless I’m afraid!
    They're great for everything else I use them for!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Perhaps I am. There's no 'naturally deceased' mayflies on any of my parked cars.

R
    I can only assume it's because I live close to a river. It only seems to affect darker colour cars, someone told me it's something to do with these mayflies thinking they're landing on water to lay their eggs.

Couldn’t you just spray the car with DEET?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

They land on the cars and die and that's the problem.

I have ordered a couple of car covers that come with decent reviews so I'll see how that goes. It's going to rain today and tomorrow so I'll be cleaning and polishing both cars on Wednesday.