closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Diesel- is it a gamble?

Diesel- is it a gamble?

Been thinking about swopping my old crv for a lower mileage example. Hard to find a petrol one, and I do love the torque and response of a mapped diesel. But is it a gamble?
    Is the new mot just an excuse to get rid of them ?

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Is the new mot just an excuse to get rid of them ?
    Yes.
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    We've just gone back to petrol and have been surprised how much they have advanced in recent years. For example, the 230i cabriolet BM we bought is a 4 cylinder 2 ltr. turbo and has the same HP output as our previous 330i 6 pot 3 ltr. (That is the same power as our 330d workhorse estate second car - but obviously less torque)

I think the end is rapidly approaching for diesel cars, we won't be buying another despite how good they are to drive.

Just checked emissions test for last mot. 0.10 l/ m. No dpf, is from 2005

Wouldn’t surprise me if folk selling privately - get a fresh MOT, or find they aren’t getting a great price.

Not sure when the DPFs came in, but it should boost the value of the cars sold in the 2yrs before that??

Honest John says not compulsory until 2011

Same dilemma here... trying to choose between bmw 3.0 diesel (265 hp) or the 2.0 petrol (252hp).
    Will keep the car for 10 years - who knows how the legislation and city restrictions change in that time...
    (First world problems, of course)

I've always preferred the robust nature of diesel cars - blew up a few petrol engines in my time including a 6 week old Focus 2 litre I had as a company car when I was younger, so I just don't have confidence in them, but this whole discrimination against them is clearly going to make owning a diesel car an expensive affair - such a shame, as I'm pretty sure the reasoning they've published is probably misguided.

For what its worth, I asked Honest John the same question just now, and git a quick response!

Make of it what you will....

[QUOTE]Hi HJ!
    I’m thinking of changing my 2005 Honda CR-V for a newer 2008 diesel crv. Do you think the new mot and HMG will try and force older diesels off the road? Should I be looking for a petrol one?
    Cheers

Honest John 22 minutes ago

Yes. Eventually. But there are at least 5 million older non-DPF diesels out there owned by voters that the government will not want to upset. Safer to go for the slow CR-V 2.0iVTEC petrol, which has also been more reliable then the 2.2CRDI./QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    I've always preferred the robust nature of diesel cars - blew up a few petrol engines in my time including a 6 week old Focus 2 litre I had as a company car when I was younger, so I just don't have confidence in them, but this whole discrimination against them is clearly going to make owning a diesel car an expensive affair - such a shame, as I'm pretty sure the reasoning they've published is probably misguided.
    How did you manage to blow up a 6 wk old car ?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    By driving like a boss.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post

Treating a manual like it's an automatic maybe?

Master
    I'd not touch honda's 2.2 iCTDi engine with a barge pole, I had one in my honda accord and it was nothing but trouble, it ate fuel filters, cracked an exhaust manifold, The clutch and DMF lasted 30k (motorway) miles and it wasn't that powerful or economical (40mpg in an accord estate).

Modern diesels I've found are not the long lasting reliable workhorses of yore when a Merc e class 300td would get you to mars and back (albeit very slowly) nowadays high output, high pressure, turbocharged diesel engines are fickle beasts especially considering the amount of emissions equipment they come with which can cost a fortune to maintain and fix. They need long runs at high speeds to regenerate their DPF's so if you do lots of stop start journeys you are going to have an expensive time of it. And if you don;t treat them right there can be engine wrecking consequences, research mazda diesels where the emissions system will dump diesel into the oil system diluting it so much it causes catastrophic engine failure.

No i'll stick with petrol, hybrid or electric in my cars, unless I have a cast iron warranty, we do have a diesel kia as a second car which is ok but any issues we've had have been fixed under warranty and there have been some expensive ones, once the warranty is gone we'll be selling it in favour of something cheap to maintain and petrol (or hybrid / electric).

I think the way these new regs will absolutely destroy the second hand market will open up quite a few nice opportunities for good, reliable, frugal cars for those who are prepared to put the research into it and do the maths and amortise for the cost of odd big issue (I owned a diesel for 2 months last year and it wrote itself off with a turbo failure in that time, albeit was a cheap car).

This discussing is pretty pertinent to me at the moment. I do 15,000 miles a year and if anything this is going to creep up in the next two years, maybe to 17,000 or so. I'm currently running a 2011 Cooper S which returns me 35mpg and is very harsh for long journeys - loud with a sports car and with the firm stock suspension. I've been considering a second car which would be diesel to eat some miles in comfort but am struggling to forecast the costs with any certainty, particularly trying to predict how it would depreciate.

Surely the issue is that the current government rhetoric is crucifying new diesel car sales and residuals, not knowing what rubbish they come up with next makes buying a diesel a brave thing to do at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    this whole discrimination against them is clearly going to make owning a diesel car an expensive affair - such a shame, as I'm pretty sure the reasoning they've published is probably misguided.
    But as people switch demand for Petrol increases the price will rise, at the same rate demand Diesel falls and the price follows. Diesel was always a good bit cheaper than petrol until the Government encouraged us to buy Diesels, then the prices went up.

It's just a pity manufacturers started fitting DPF filters on diesel. A few years ago I used to run a VW Passat on Veg oil (I was doing a lot of miles back then). Saved me a fortune on diesel and of course was far kinder to the environment.

Master

Diesel- is it a gamble?

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I'd not touch honda's 2.2 iCTDi engine with a barge pole, I had one in my honda accord and it was nothing but trouble, it ate fuel filters, cracked an exhaust manifold, The clutch and DMF lasted 30k (motorway) miles and it wasn't that powerful or economical (40mpg in an accord estate).

Modern diesels I've found are not the long lasting reliable workhorses of yore when a Merc e class 300td would get you to mars and back (albeit very slowly) nowadays high output, high pressure, turbocharged diesel engines are fickle beasts especially considering the amount of emissions equipment they come with which can cost a fortune to maintain and fix. They need long runs at high speeds to regenerate their DPF's so if you do lots of stop start journeys you are going to have an expensive time of it. And if you don;t treat them right there can be engine wrecking consequences, research mazda diesels where the emissions system will dump diesel into the oil system diluting it so much it causes catastrophic engine failure.

No i'll stick with petrol, hybrid or electric in my cars, unless I have a cast iron warranty, we do have a diesel kia as a second car which is ok but any issues we've had have been fixed under warranty and there have been some expensive ones, once the warranty is gone we'll be selling it in favour of something cheap to maintain and petrol (or hybrid / electric).
    Chopped my last 3 year old Skoda Superb 2.0L diesel taxi in with 130000K on the clock. Still on the original battery, DPF, clutch, turbo, etc, etc. Only thing I changed was the timing belt and water pump and the obvious consumables like tyres, pads and discs.
    Vast majority of my driving was stop start around town.
    Having said that, I did service it every 10K despite it being set to variable.

Only ever had one engine issue with the 2.2iCDT ever, and that was a clogged egr.
    Had a stage one tune, and it’s been the best vehicle I ever owned. 40-45 urban, 50 on a long run. Brilliant imo. That’s over 8 years of constant use as well!
    I put it down to full annual and 6 months oil/ filters changed.

Craftsman
    Only ever had one engine issue with the 2.2iCDT ever, and that was a clogged egr.
    Had a stage one tune, and it’s been the best vehicle I ever owned. 40-45 urban, 50 on a long run. Brilliant imo. That’s over 8 years of constant use as well!
    I put it down to full annual and 6 months oil/ filters changed.
    Ive owned two 2.2 CRVs, my current one has 45k on the clock, 100 per cent reliable, no issues what so ever.

My son has one as well and has also not had any issues

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swisstony View Post
    Same dilemma here... trying to choose between bmw 3.0 diesel (265 hp) or the 2.0 petrol (252hp).
    Will keep the car for 10 years - who knows how the legislation and city restrictions change in that time...
    (First world problems, of course)
    If it helps, we have both engines in our two cars. Both are very good at what they do but are also very different. The 330d returns 47mpg and the 230i 35mpg

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Horses for courses as with a lot of things - I’m currently in a BMW diesel and it’s behaved perfectly in its 110k - nothing apart from routine items replaced in that time .
    I’d buy another one today - in 5 years time - maybe not .
    Who knows what technology is around the corner ? Some revelation that changes the outlook for petrol or hybrids could appear tomorrow or not at all.
    If your eyes are open and you do a decent mileage I’d pick a Diesel engine - no experience of the one you’re considering though !

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Diesel was always a good bit cheaper than petrol until the Government encouraged us to buy Diesels, then the prices went up.
    That’s the exact opposite of what I remember!
    Diesel was always more expensive but came down to the price of petrol (and below for a short time). It’s started to creep back up again now relative to petrol.

Or maybe my memory is playing tricks!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That’s the exact opposite of what I remember!
    Diesel was always more expensive but came down to the price of petrol (and below for a short time). It’s started to creep back up again now relative to petrol.

Or maybe my memory is playing tricks!
    Your memory is sort of playing tricks. Before the days of turbo diesels, when diesel vehicles were slow, noisy and not very popular it was the cheaper fuel.
    For a small time a while back the price of diesel did drop to about the same price of petrol, buts it didn’t stay that way for long.

Diesel- is it a gamble?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Your memory is sort of playing tricks. Before the days of turbo diesels, when diesel vehicles were slow, noisy and not very popular it was the cheaper fuel.
    For a small time a while back the price of diesel did drop to about the same price of petrol, buts it didn’t stay that way for long.
    Ive just found this; it seems my memory was correct (for this century at least!)

http://fuelwatchdog.co.uk/historic-fuel-prices.html

Edit : also found this which shows diesel was cheaper until about 1993. Unfortunately their records only started in 1987. I’ll keep looking!

https://www.theaa.com/public_affairs...te_gallons.pdf
    Last edited by Dave+63; 22nd May 2018 at 09:09.

I'm in my last two diesels I think

both 3 litre engines and they are lovely things to smoke about in - round town, motorways and just brilliant for long journeys which we do a lot of in both

1 more year before its time to change my wife's Q5 and it'll be a petrol I am sure, maybe even a PHEV of some sort and they are really close now in performance terms

I took a small I feel risk on a new diesel for myself last year, BMW it seems got spooked and were offering 0% and 20% off on new diesel 4 series and the numbers made no sense to choose a similar spec and performance petrol or the e version when I have a GFV to fall back on and 40+ mpg every day VS 22mpg on the same commute in a 3litre petrol

good news is the petrol versions of both are lovely to drive just so much more expensive to own

Craftsman
    Had the same dilemma when I bailed out of my company car last month. Took the plunge and went for a Mazda CX5 diesel. No regrets and the 54mpg I'm getting offset any concerns over residuals. There's a lot of negativity about diesels and a lot of it is unjustified IMO and the noise will probably die down a bit.

Craftsman
    Just don’t buy a non-plug in hybrid. Fossil fuelled power stations on wheels - how they get regarded as ‘green’ is beyond me.

plenty of life left for diesels in my opinion.

Is the fuel type right for your usage?
    Anything over 12,000 miles per year and a diesel might be the better option?

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    plenty of life left for diesels in my opinion.

Is the fuel type right for your usage?
    Anything over 12,000 miles per year and a diesel might be the better option?
    only provided the government don't bugger about with diesel pricing, this is why people are walking away in droves, its not sudden conscience about the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    only provided the government don't bugger about with diesel pricing, this is why people are walking away in droves, its not sudden conscience about the environment.
    I don’t think they can go too mad though, practically all the goods carried on our roads are propelled using diesel. Do too much and hauliers will cause mayhem (again)!

And quite a few trains and ships run on diesel, they can be as environmentally unfriendly as they want apparently. It’s also ok for buses to pump out as much crap as they like too, unless those great choking clouds they produce are fairy dust !

Craftsman
    The new MoT isn’t really an issue for cars that haven’t had the dpf’s and egr’s removed. Or remapped by idiots that think it’s funny to have their cars set up to cover the car behind in huge plumes of smoke.

And quite a few trains and ships run on diesel, they can be as environmentally unfriendly as they want apparently. It’s also ok for buses to pump out as much crap as they like too, unless those great choking clouds they produce are fairy dust !
    Not true for ships anymore, getting stricter the whole time although what they burn is worse than diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Not true for ships anymore, getting stricter the whole time although what they burn is worse than diesel.
    Glad to hear it! Is that just UK maritime registered though?

Craftsman
    Not true for ships. More here if you are interested. http://www.imo.org/en/MediaCentre/Ho...mits%20FAQ.pdf

Also, there are ships operating now on LPG fuel, wind power and solar/battery power is being developed. It is foreseen that large battery packs will replace water ballast in suitable vessels on some routes.

Master
    They won't not very much anyway. My 13 litre straight 6 drinks the stuff maybe doing £500 to £600 worth a day 6 days a week, multiply that by the wagons on the road and you'll understand how much the haulage industry pays and the government won't want to upset the apple cart there as shop prices will just go up to pay for it.

My vehicle doesn’t owe me anything, and isn’t worth enough for a good night out, according to my local Toyota dealer.
    Im tempted just to hang onto it for as long as I can....

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    They won't not very much anyway. My 13 litre straight 6 drinks the stuff maybe doing £500 to £600 worth a day 6 days a week, multiply that by the wagons on the road and you'll understand how much the haulage industry pays and the government won't want to upset the apple cart there as shop prices will just go up to pay for it.
    since when have our governments been practical or realistic, that's like saying they wouldn't put business rates up knowing that small businesses and shops cant afford it, forcing them into bankruptcy, it is now government policy to reduce emissions from diesel vehicles

My only worry is that cities like mine (Portsmouth) will start bringing in a diesel restriction like the ones I see have come into force in Germany where Euro 5 (maybe 6 in future) and newer vehicles are the only diesels allowed into high pedestrian areas. The issue is, I commute out of the city and am only actually sat in traffic for about 10 minutes a day of a 70 minute commute and cycle everywhere. Having said that, I have just spent a fair chunk on a low mileage diesel 2013 320 touring because a) there's almost no price difference between petrol and diesel on the range in the 318/320 guise and b) the diesels will happily do 55-60mpg on my commute so it's saving me 30% cost at the pump every time I fuel up. I'll take my chances on demand in 5 years time when I look to change but I can't see the value falling off a cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by MAW View Post
    Just don’t buy a non-plug in hybrid. Fossil fuelled power stations on wheels - how they get regarded as ‘green’ is beyond me.

I don't think anyone thinks they're truly 'green' but it's the capacity to 1. Retrieve energy in (engine/) braking and 2. be able to run off the battery in slow and stop-start city traffic, which makes them pollute less where pollution is already at its worst.

Even at worst case, they're still more efficient and more green than the equivalent fossil-fuel only vehicle.