closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart accuracy

Master

Steinhart accuracy

Although I’ve not timed all my watches with some sort of mega-accurate timing device thingy, I notice how much I need to adjust the time for accuracy in weekly use. It turns out my Steinhart marine watch is my most accurate watch, despite being significantly less expensive than my other automatics. Proof that price can sometimes be a poor indicator of quality.

I know Steinhart sometimes gets pigeon holed as a Rolex homage, but I reckon the Steinhart marine range is hugely under rated. The build quality is right up there with the likes of Oris and Longines that I’ve previously owned.

Well done Steinhart! Great to see a manufacturer offering such good quality without pricing silliness.
    Last edited by Dougal; 19th May 2018 at 17:23.

Steinhart accuracy

Try using the Twixt app; it’ll give you a good idea of accuracy without having to buy a timegrapher.

Owned lots of them. Think the absolute worst was out by only 12 secs a day

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a Steinhart OVM that was consistently less than a second fast. It was the most accurate I'd had for a long while. I didn't like the grey dial enough to keep it - though regret selling it now.

The most accurate of my current watches is my Blumo which is also running at less than a second a day. Seadweller gains 3 spd and MM300 6spd.

Grand Master
    It's all down to careful regulation, possibly Steinhart put more effort in than some.

Paul

Heard a lot of good things abut Steinhart in relation to build quality, value for money, accuracy etc. They use the Swiss 2824-2 Elabore movement I believe, which according to what I've read is a slightly decorated version of a standard 2824-2, but with more scope for upgrade? I'm far from an expert so anyone that is please feel free to correct me! In all honesty I look at some Steinhart watches around the £450 mark and the are exactly the same spec wise as a Tag I owned which cost a grand more.

Craftsman
    Just checked and my ocean 500 is my most accurate watch at +0.5spd.

Master
    Got 6. Worst timekeeper is 7 secs per day. Typical German rigour.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

It never ceases to amaze me how accurate mechanical watches can be made to run.

That's a coincidence as my mark one Steinhart OVM is my most accurate mechanical watch (and I have a few), so praise indeed. It is currently running to less than half a sec over four days!

My Ocean Red MK1 is within 3 scs a day. Well pleased..

Blog Entries

Steinhart accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Got 6. Worst timekeeper is 7 secs per day. Typical German rigour.

Which model is it out of curiosity ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Which model is it out of curiosity ?

I can't remember - 4 of them are about 6 s per day! I just remember the worst was 7.
    It's one of..... Ocean bronze, dual time, ocean black, titanium 500, ocean red.

Not the ocean legacy which is 2s per day as I'm wearing it this weekend.

-6secs a day for the Ocean One titanium.

Its a soprod movement rather than ETA

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how accurate mechanical watches can be made to run.
    Me too! Materials development over the years has virtually eliminated temperature effects and good design has enabled the best mechanical watches to attain v. impressive results.

As I’ve said many times, regulation is v. important and that takes time and patience to get right. The watch needs to be in good health too, but I suspect some manufacturers don’t go the extra mile to get the best out of their watches. That’s a shame, a watch that could be running at 1-2 secs/day often ends up doing much worse. One major weakness is the loss of on- site expertise at the ADs to enable watches to be regulated quickly and efficiently to match the owner’s needs, those days are gone.

Paul

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Heard a lot of good things abut Steinhart in relation to build quality, value for money, accuracy etc. They use the Swiss 2824-2 Elabore movement I believe, which according to what I've read is a slightly decorated version of a standard 2824-2, but with more scope for upgrade? I'm far from an expert so anyone that is please feel free to correct me! In all honesty I look at some Steinhart watches around the £450 mark and the are exactly the same spec wise as a Tag I owned which cost a grand more.
    Moving slightly on a tangent, i’m thinking of purchasing a Squale Atmos from Gnomon. Seem to read good things about them + no authorised dealer of Squale in Europe can sell the Atmos’s.

I believe they also have the 2842-2 movement. Comes with standard guarantee but Squale have said any guarantee work (if there is any) would have to back to Swiss or Asia (Singapore) at my cost.

My thoughts are around the service - in a few years time is it fairly easy to have the watch serviced here in the UK? And if so, on average what could that cost?

Apologies for my lack of knowledge. Appreciate any feedback.

J

Master
    2824 is one of the most common movements and can be serviced by all capable watchmakers.

Grand Master
    Agreed, but case-specific parts such as the crown could be a problem.

As for servicing the ETA 2824, Swatch Group are now restricting parts supply on ETA stuff too, so it may get harder in years to come. Most parts are interchangeable with the equivalent Sellita movement but a few aren`t.

Having said that I wouldn`t let future servicing issues put you off buying.

Paul

A bit of a thread bump.

I've recently taken receipt of a new OVM Mk3 and was a little disappointed to seeing it running at, what I estimated to be, 15 - 20 seconds fast a day. The positive feedback on this thread and others, combined with my previous experience of ETA 2824-2 powered watches, such as Eddie's PRS-14, meant that I knew it was off. I wore it for two weeks but it didn’t improve, so much for the “running in” theory.

I sent it off to Duncan at Genesis Watchmaking for regulation. He’s previously looked after some of my other ETAs and as usual he provided excellent customer service. He turned the watch around incredibly quickly and most helpfully provided the before and after shots from his Witschi.

You may be interested to see the difference. ☺ Mine must have been a Friday afternoon release.

Before:

After:

This is my first Steinhart and apart from the factory regulation, I’ve been delighted with it, and of course the excellent work from Duncan.

Master
    The accuracy of my Steinhart Ocean GMT seems to vary. Normally it loses a few seconds a day (sorry, I'm not obsessional enough to measure it accurately), but the last weeks it seems to be running less slow. I guess its fine for a mechanical, but nothing like even a cheap quartz.

I measure the accuracy of my Ocean 39 regularly with the "toolwatch" app for iPhone, and the last measure was +0.7spd, I think the worst I got was +2spd.

That's one hell of an accuracy for 380€ watch with an ETA2824.