closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wearing shorts to today’s royal wedding..................unbelievable

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Wearing shorts to today’s royal wedding..................unbelievable

Now I don’t want to start a war but I can’t believe I have just seen an one of the guests to Harrys and Megan’s wedding wearing shorts.

How very disrespectful.

The person in question was a double leg amputee with 2 prosthetic legs, but see no reason on earth that he could not have worn full length trousers with his suit.

I do of course have every respect for our forces guys who have suffered such life changing injuries ensuring we are all safe in the world today but is there any need to dress so disrespectfully at such a high profile wedding.

Rant over but had to get it off my chest.

Sorry

Master
    Blog Entries
    You are being sarcastic [I very much hope].

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Now I don’t want to start a war but I can’t believe I have just seen an one of the guests to Harrys and Megan’s wedding wearing shorts.

How very disrespectful.

The person in question was a double leg amputee with 2 prosthetic legs, but see no reason on earth that he could not have worn full length trousers with his suit.

I do of course have every respect for our forces guys who have suffered such life changing injuries ensuring we are all safe in the world today but is there any need to dress so disrespectfully at such a high profile wedding.

Sorry
    if this is the case, I would strongly suspect it is precisely because he is a double amputee and is displaying this to give profile to the sacrifice soldiers make. I would also expect it was by arrangement and not only approved but encouraged.
    So clever my foot fell off.

How very disrespectful.

Sorry
    Dickhead*

*Sorry to be so rude outside of the BP. But, I’m gobsmacked.......

The wife called me in from the garden to see him. He was immaculately turned out and looked incredible. My presumption is that he was rightly proud and didn’t want to hide away from his injuries?

It made me feel incredibly privileged and grateful... more power to him and those like him that deserve our praise and thanks.

If I could find a picture I would post it, what a spectacular young man... In my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I think the OP needs to get out more. If he manages to ease himself off the sofa and away from the telly for long enough perhaps he could even manage to get a life.

What’s truly unbelievable here is a bloke watching telly working himself into a lather over the sight of a guy who has been through hell daring to expose his prosthetic limbs in public.
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 19th May 2018 at 11:19.

Unbelievable.

Master
    How very disrespectful.

Sorry
    Op I think you need to go away, consider Harry’s involvement with the Invictus Games and then question if you original post still holds water.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invictus_Games

Blog Entries
    I hope it’s a (bad) Joke.

So this person lost his legs during a battle. And you comment his outfit. I suppose you’ll post a pic of yourself in full battle dress, in the same theatre of operation + the commemorative decorations. Then -I suppose- there’s a ground to start talking about this subject, not commenting them negatively.

If there’s one person who has put war-related injuries on the map, then it’s your Prince with battle experience before he started the Invictus Games. And I am sure that he would love to walk up to that guy for a talk with his combat collegue

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    As I said in my original post I have every respect for these guys and the work they do

It was a question of etiquette, nothing else.

I am sorry to have upset a few, it was definitely not my intention.

Em... I'm with Ben on this one. Why does he have to wear shorts just because he's got prosthetics? Long trousers cover prosthetics too.

To raise the profile of amputees? Really? That holds little water.

I don't see that wearing shorts to such a high profile event is anything other than a "look at me, I'm here". It's the ex-squaddie equivalent of a wacky tie.

Before anyone wants to jump on me for dishonouring our brave servicemen, I have two dead friends and two missing a leg each, lost while we served together.

Master
    I agree - bad form. Unless it’s by arrangement or was even encouraged. We don’t know the backstory.

Speaking of bad forms, did the groom shave off that ginger fluff before donning blues and royals or whatever his wearing today?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Unless it’s by arrangement or was even encouraged.
    I suspect that will be the case.

Blog Entries
    There's no coincidence on a day like this.

Menno

Grand Master

Think he has done his bit for the country mate and don’t you worry yourself with the dress code

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 19th May 2018 at 13:31.
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Think he has done his bit for the country mate and don’t you worry yourself with the dress code

I'm not worried mate. I couldnt care less about any of it.

Grand Master
    Sorry accidentally quoted your post :(

RIAC

Craftsman
    No worries. To be honest, I find it hard that anyone has strong opinion either way about the wedding. It’s not my bloody wedding, the royals earn their keep so live and let live for me.

Prosthetics often require some degree of adjustment to remain comfortable particularly on the mounting cup. In hot weather shorts allow the wearer to quickly access the mount. We all know how watches can get tight in the hot - so do legs. Is give the benefit of the doubt that the is more than meets the eye here.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thought Harry might of shaved his bumfluff off :)

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Speaking of bad forms, did the groom shave off that ginger fluff before donning blues and royals or whatever his wearing today?

He is no longer servicing so doesn't have to shave it off.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I’m kind of with OP in a way and think people are being harsh in the ‘ever so PC’ way. Why can’t you call an amputee a scruffy bugger for wearing shorts? Granted there may be a legitimate reason but nobody is discussing that just kicking the OP as if he’s attacked the guy FFS.

I don’t see why you can’t constructively criticise someone just because they may be an amputee or whatever? We always talk about equal rights etc but surely by truely accepting any person (amputee, gay, black, white etc etc) you should be able to talk about them as you would anyone else? To me it shows a greater acceptance than making them something different and patronising them. By treating them differently to you or I you’re effectively perpetuating the divisions we face.

It’s so sickly to me when people think they’re sticking up for stuff like this yet if I were that way I’d sooner people just accepted me and spoke like they would to anyone else.

What exactly did he do mate? A bit of dressing up, played a soldier and tied up personnel and resources in order for him to play in a sandpit?

If he is no longer serving then a civilian attire might suit better for the occasion?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Grand Master
    What exactly did he do mate? A bit of dressing up, played a soldier and tied up personnel and resources in order for him to play in a sandpit?

If he is no longer serving then a civilian attire might suit better for the occasion?
    Remind me where you served with him?

RIAC

I think the back story, agreement, encouragement is relevant. Given the Invictus connection etc this may well have been an agreement with all parties?

I have been trying to find a picture of him but can’t... if I hadn’t seen him I would probably have an image of someone in shorts looking different to how he did.

All I can say is that I like to stick with tradition, am a big fan of etiquette and ‘good form’, this chap seemed to have all of the above for me and didn’t give me the impression of being disrespectful... certainly hadn’t rocked up in a pair of Bermuda’s, I thought he looked smashing... unlike one guest who hadn’t even put a suit on.

No PC madness here, I just didn’t think he looked bad

Remind me where you served with him?

Did you?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I thought he looked smashing... unlike one guest who hadn’t even put a suit on.
    Yep, I even saw one geezer at the front wearing a dress

Grand Master

You’ve mixed up the double
    Amputee with Harry I fear but Yep and his brother saluted me and called me ‘Sir’ once which I still find funny.

The Afghanistan tour required little to no uplift. He remains a trained soldier on active reservist call out and is a decent bloke who could has personally chose to experience and contribute to the military.

He is an armed forces veteran and will always have my respect and support.

Today was a nice event. Millions loved it and will look back with fond memories and the family, love them or hate them, make Britain quite special for many.

Last edited by 100thmonkey; 19th May 2018 at 16:11.
    RIAC

Grand Master

And you are at cross wires as I was talking originally saying the Double
    Amputee has done his bit but happy to address the Harry question as he has also.

Last edited by 100thmonkey; 19th May 2018 at 16:12.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    There's no coincidence on a day like this.

Menno
    100% spot on.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Blimey - that's what you got from today's wedding?

This thread is an embarrassment - I know he doesn't normally do it but see if Eddie will do you a favour and delete it.

Alan shame you didn’t get an invite...you could have worn your purple shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Alan shame you didn’t get an invite...you could have worn your purple shoes.
    True and then when i was on the telly, someone could have started a thread about it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Blimey - that's what you got from today's wedding?

This thread is an embarrassment - I know he doesn't normally do it but see if Eddie will do you a favour and delete it.
    Have to say I agree, it’s an embarrassment.

Craftsman

Shorts

My two penneth worth is with all that Harry has done to promote Invictus game etc. I’d be very surprised if the chap hadn’t been given the green light to wear shorts. Unless they were accompanied by flip-flops and a vest of course.

You’ve mixed up the double
    Amputee with Harry I fear but Yep and his brother saluted me and called me ‘Sir’ once which I still find funny.

The Afghanistan tour required little to no uplift. He remains a trained soldier on active reservist call out and is a decent bloke who could has personally chose to experience and contribute to the military.

He is an armed forces veteran and will always have my respect and support.

Today was a nice event. Millions loved it and will look back with fond memories and the family, love them or hate them, make Britain quite special for many.

I didn't realise your a talking about the double amputee chap. In any case, let me just say that I've heard differently re Wales, nevertheless out of respect to the people who’ve risked and still risking their lives I respectfully bow out if this conversation.

One more thing, for the benefit of other posters, I gather that ex forces are not exactly shy of their injuries and if it helps to raise awareness or help the fellow veterans or anyone who is affected, they usually are in the forefront of the efforts. My hat goes to them, their bravery and sacrifice.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Grand Master
    I didn't realise your a talking about the double amputee chap. In any case, let me just say that I've heard differently re Wales, nevertheless out of respect to the people who’ve risked and still risking their lives I respectfully bow out if this conversation.

One more thing, for the benefit of other posters, I gather that ex forces are not exactly shy of their injuries and if it helps to raise awareness or help the fellow veterans or anyone who is affected, they usually are in the forefront of the efforts. My hat goes to them, their bravery and sacrifice.
    A noble reply

RIAC

Craftsman

How very disrespectful.
    How exactly is dressing in shorts showing disrespect? I applaud the fellow for not hiding anything away.

This is the guy I was talking about... a nice suit, with what looks like the trousers tailored to exactly the right length to the prosthetics.

As others have said, I am sure this will have been for a well thought out reason.

Right, wrong or indifferent, I thought he looked good.

Master
    Without being disrespectful, I did say to my son at the time I couldn’t understand why he hadn’t worn trousers- we thought it was Dave Henson who lives round our way and sometimes see him running. Perhaps the title of this thread could have been worded better but I agree with the sentiment.

Blog Entries
    Impressive.

The only thing I can think of that he's wearing suede loafers instead of proper leather (and laced) shoes ;-)

Kidding aside: this is one of the most powerful pics of this day! The relation with the troops, Invictus, the resilience and stamina of the wounded soldier able to live with his injuries and the way he presents awareness to us, the public. The fact that we're discussing this for a day now, has more impact than seeing a bloke wearing the VC on his chest. We wouldn't write all day about that. That message and the Invictus-thing has come across, I'm sure.

And I agree what Crazyhair writes: a tailored suit and the correct length. Not a pair of shorts. Beautifully dressed lady next to him. I hope for him that she's his wife. She looks lovely.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 19th May 2018 at 18:09.

Master
    Blog Entries
    When you have walked in his boots then you can criticise.

Master
    Yep it was Dave Henson

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...e-wife-hayley/

Great athlete but as I said, not sure why he didn’t wear full length trousers unless it was a way of “publicising” Harrys Invictus games etc.

Have you not seen the suits that have shorts with them Ben? I'm not sure i would wear them with a blazer or whatever myself but with a shirt perhaps.

However, i think that guy looks great. They fit perfectly, you made it sound as if he had rocked up in a pair of cargo shorts and a vest!

Master
    Those aren’t shorts! Good to see the actual photo of the guy. Clearly tailored to the prosthetic and I would be amazed if it wasn’t something Harry had agreed to in advance, and a link to Invictus

If he wants to be defined by his legs I guess it's up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    When you have walked in his boots then you can criticise.
    Totally agree and I’m sure the bride and groom could not give a *#+= what he’s wearing.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    Have you not seen the suits that have shorts with them Ben? I'm not sure i would wear them with a blazer or whatever myself but with a shirt perhaps.
    Of course I have Mike and have no issue with them in the right environment, I just don’t feel that a Wedding is the place for such attire.

Should another male guest of the wedding adorned such an outfit I’m fairly sure eyebrows would have been raised, because its not the right attire to wear to somebodies wedding.

Of course I have Mike and have no issue with them in the right environment, I just don’t feel that a Wedding is the place for such attire.

Should another male guest of the wedding adorned such an outfit I’m fairly sure eyebrows would have been raised, because its not the right attire to wear to somebodies wedding.
    I'm sort of with you there.. but it is sold as a suit but just with tailored shorts, so i don't have a huge issue with it.
    My problem is i think they look a bit 'top heavy' so wouldn't wear it myself.
    However, i'd reconsider for a hot weather wedding.. and if i was the chap in the picture i would only ever wear shorts, i'm sure he has realised how short life can be!

Anyway, i'm a bit younger than you so our views are different and i know you enjoy dressing well!